[bit.listserv.disarm-l] Sigma Century

PH408014@BROWNVM.BITNET (Tim Johnson) (02/20/90)

From:         Leonard Abbey <LABBEY@GTRI01.BITNET>
>As the end of the century heaves into view, I think that it is appropriate
>to look back and see how well we have done in the expiring one.
>
>I propose that the Twentieth Century has been a century of unmitigated
>horror, and unimaginable sorrow.
>
>Does anybody have anything good to say about it?

  Does this proposal imply that any of the preceding centuries have
been any better?  I would say that mankind is a beast which thrives
by inflicting and creating unmitigated horror, etc...  Or, if you
would rather, the existence of humanity is sufficient for the human
condition to be one of unmitigated horror, etc....
  What you describe, Len, is not the nature of the century, but the
nature of the beast.

                     -Tim"Mr. Misanthrope"J

T9AA@SDSUMUS.BITNET (Dave Jacoby) (02/21/90)

does anybody have anything good to say about the 20th century?

I do:

-Jazz
-Robert Johnson
-Blues
-Movies
-Talkies
-The Comic Book
-The Automobile
-The Saxophone
-The 1957 Ford Thunderbird (I had to specify on this one)
-The Airplane
-Rock & Roll
-Motown
_The Jefferson Airplane
-The Beatles
-The Rolling Stones
-The Doors
-The Sex Pistols
-Punk In General
-Rap
-Science Fiction
-Harlan Ellison
-Philip K. Dick
-William Gibson
-Bruce Sterling
-"Blade Runner
-"Metropolis"
-"Casablanca"
-Led Zeppelin
-The Computer
-Me

Any more?
* The Unbelievable Dave Jacoby   * Kill For Thrills (Megadeth) *
* T9AA@SDSUMUS.BITNET            * Die With A Smile (Appleseed)*
*  Be Someone    *   An Eye For An Eye Makes Everyone Blind    *
*  Kill Someone  *                  (Martin Luthor King, Jr.)  *
*  Kill Yourself *    <0>    Mutants for  *  Fight the Powers  *
* (Sex Pistols)  *   \___/  Nuclear Power *  That Be  (PE)     *

ORWELL@TRIUMFRG.BITNET (02/22/90)

"Of all the infirmities that mankind suffers from, the most savage is
 to despise our being."

           Michael de Montaigne