[bit.listserv.disarm-l] WWII in France

PHARABOD@FRCPN11.BITNET (02/21/90)

Dimitri Vulis writes (Tue, 20 Feb 90 09:46:00 EDT):
>   I remember reading somewhere that the number of French executed after
>WWII for collaboration with the Germans exceeded the number of French
>executed or deported by the Germans during WWII. Do you know if this is
>correct?
Here are the numbers:
Killed by the Germans and their allies or friends:
563,000 (350,000 civilians + 213,000 military).
After the end of the war:
official executions of traitors (military tribunals): 901
un-official executions: 9,000
There is a neo-nazi propaganda (the "revisionists", same people who say
that there has not been a genocide of the Jews) which speaks of 100,000
un-official executions. Goebbels has successors.
In 1986 a book has been published about that, the author is American
(Herbert R. Lottman). The French title is "L'Epuration"; I don't know
the American title.
                                                 Jean-Pierre Pharabod

PHARABOD@FRCPN11.BITNET (02/22/90)

Regarding the number of French victims during WWII (350,000 civilians +
213,000 military), I said (Wed, 21 Feb 90 10:53:20 EST) that they had
been killed by the Germans and their allies or friends. This is not
completely true, a part of the civilians has been killed by the bombs
of our own allies.
                                                   Jean-Pierre Pharabod

PHARABOD@FRCPN11.BITNET (02/23/90)

In answer to:
Jim Meritt writes (Thu, 22 Feb 90 08:55:00 EST):
>Is this before or after they had been beaten and had to be rescued?
>Jim
>(remember?  The Germans were there.)
Of course, it was after. My posting was not a moral judgment, but a
rectification of a previous posting. However, some of these bombings
were not justified (I personally know one). If I have some time, I will
look in further detail.
                                                   Jean-Pierre Pharabod