[bit.listserv.emusic-l] Onboard effects

kg19+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Kurt A. Geisel) (02/22/90)

M^2 writes:

>Actually, the first instruments to have any sort of FX on board were
>the early Korgs (the DW8000) and the VS. A lot of people hated the
>idea, because onboard effects supposedly represented a means of
>simultaneously adding bells and whistles to a boring synth and of
>hiding its sound weaknesses.

Actually, Mike, my initial vague reference to a negative attitude
about on-board effects was half-joking.  Like you say, if implemented
well, they are a pretty good idea (also IF THEY CAN BE BYPASSED!).  I
am just one of those purists who wants a bunch of modular boxes.  If I
want a signal processor, I'll get a signal processor.  But, alas, even
I know when there's too many patchcords and too much hassle.

My whiny complaint is that onboard effects and sequencers seem to be
driving up the price and littering studios with W**********s.  I think
the DPM 3 is too expensive, but probably not soley because of the
effects.  It would have been acceptable if Peavey was taking the
high-falutin attitude that no rack mounts should be produced.  The DPM
3 would have been a great tone module.  If it had been as cheap as K4,
I might have one already.

But, this list has been through this before...  Please, no tomatoes...

- Kurt

P.S.  I agree with whoever that was commenting about the Peavey ads.
I think someone should be castrated for those...  I thought we had finally
gotten over those type of synth ads in the 70s!