KLASSEN@MCMASTER.BITNET (b.klassen) (02/22/90)

From: Mario Vergona <MARIO@BKLYN.BITNET>
>         I am considering buying a Matrix-1000 module since I have access
>to a number of sounds for it, a software editing program for it and the
>price is dropping all the time. Yes, I know it is only 6-voices and yes
>I know it is only bi-timberal. What I am interested in is comments from
>anyone who owns one as to their feelings on how the unit sounds. Does
>it have really great organ/piano/string sounds, etc.

I'm considering the same purchase ...  I once owned a Matrix-6R, which is the
same archtechture - I was very pleased with the sound, although the particular
unit I had had some problem staying in tune.  The factory patches included some
good strings, but no usable organs or piano-type sounds -- with some tweaking,
however, good results can be obtained.

While Oberheim is being discussed, is the Matrix-12 bi-timbral?  Is the
architecture similar to the Xpander?  I was listening to some old tapes last
night (my Matrix-6 era) and my mouth is watering again for that sound.  If I
don't go for the quick fix (Matrix-1000) I may look for something more
substantial.  (My wife wants me to buy a Prophet-5 because she likes the case!)

brian

kg19+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Kurt A. Geisel) (02/23/90)

>While Oberheim is being discussed, is the Matrix-12 bi-timbral?  Is the
>architecture similar to the Xpander?

Is the Matrix-12 bi-timbral!??

I don't know why I'm even bothering to post, no doubt Xpander Man is already
suiting up to put the networld to right... :-)

So, I'll just point out a couple of things I think might go unrealized.
In addition to having the Xpander architecture with twice the number
of voices, (BTW, it is "sextimbral" in poly mode, or "twelve-timbral" in mono
mode) I have found the Matrix-12 to be a remarkable master keyboard
controller which pretty much goes unmatched even with some of the
higher end master controllers and keyboard synths.

Basically, there are six "zones" which you can do anything one.  As a
for instance, I've seen people complain about not being able to turn
off local voices.  The Matrix-12 could have something like this
easily:

A three way split with one keyboard zone playing a doubled local
patch, a second zone playing an external synth with no local
voices, a third zone playing another set of local voices, plus
remaining voices controlled from an external MIDI source.

Plus, it has that Oberheim keyboard feel which I really like-
not spongy or weighted.  Plus it has release velocity, and many
velocity curves: the "send" velocity curve can be differant
than the "receive" velocity curve!!!

Anyway, there's my 2 cents on the Matrix-12.  Now hold on
to your hats while Xpander Man gives the Xpander architecture
ONE MORE TIME!!!

- Kurt