[bit.listserv.allmusic] Ornette Coleman

MCINTYRE@MSUPA.BITNET (02/07/90)

>From:         jeff beer <UUCJEFF@ECNCDC.BITNET>

>I once was studying with Don Cherry, and he taught us some
>Ornette Coleman tunes.

Jeff, if you could shed some light on Ornette's harmelodic ideas,
I would be most grateful.  I remember an article he wrote for
Downbeat that was supposed to explain it, but the article was just
gibberish to me.  Obviously the man can play the music, but I
could not understand what he wrote in that article.

John McIntyre
Physics - Astronomy Dept
Michigan State University

UUCJEFF@ECNCDC.BITNET (jeff beer) (02/07/90)

>>I once was studying with Don Cherry, and he taught us some
>>Ornette Coleman tunes.
>
>Jeff, if you could shed some light on Ornette's harmelodic ideas,
>I would be most grateful.  I remember an article he wrote for
>Downbeat that was supposed to explain it, but the article was just
>gibberish to me.  Obviously the man can play the music, but I
>could not understand what he wrote in that article.
>
>John McIntyre
>Physics - Astronomy Dept
>Michigan State University

Give me a few days, I will be able to make a better statement, and
maybe think of some references.  I can give some of the common views of
it, along with some of my own.

Right now I am working on my fourth Duvel.

Jeff Beer