[bit.listserv.liaison] micro vs mini vs mainframe

C4898@UMSLVMA.BITNET (Larry Pickett) (02/06/90)

On Mon, 5 Feb 90 11:48:32 PST Richard Hintz said:
>Our equipment classification people are trying to come up with a
>way to distinguish among micro, mini, and mainframe computers
>which is likely to be recognized as technology marches on.
>
>One metric suggested was number of users supported?  Comments?
Any absolute metric you care to come up with will lose its value quickly.
Todays micro is yesterdays mainframe equivalent.  The three
levels are marks on a continuum and only useful in relation to each other.
And you left out Super which seems to have developed a meaning of more than
mainframe.  For example is a MAC II a micro or a mini.  Micro you say?
What if it's running A/UX and more than one person comes in with a terminal?
One of our past directors defined a micro as smaller than the mainframe and
was teased about that simplistic definition for years - now I think he was as
right as one could be.

TOM@PENNDRLS.BITNET (Thomas D. Denier) (02/07/90)

I have seen one proposal for this type of classification. I don't know
whether it was intended as an entirely serious proposal.

A system was considered a microcomputer if the system (including
external peripherals, if any) could be moved in one trip using a
wheelbarrow. A system was considered a minicomputer if it could be
moved under the same ground rules with a pickup truck but not with
a wheelbarrow. A system was considered a mainframe if a vehicle
larger than a pickup truck was needed.

magill@OPERATIONS.DCCS.UPENN.EDU (PENNnet Oper/Planning) (02/07/90)

> One of our past directors defined a micro as smaller than the mainframe and
> was teased about that simplistic definition for years - now I think he was as
> right as one could be.

Never trust a computer you can cary...

Mainframe - you need a truck and more than one person to move it.
Mini - it has wheels and one person can push it around
micro - one person can pick it up and carry it.

Another definition I've seen - which might actually turn out to be the most
consistant over time -

 1-5  simultaneous users = micro
 5-25 simultaneous users = mini
25+   simultaneous users = mainframe

Or by another measure...

It runs out of the box - a micro
It runs out of the box with "configuration" - a mini
It doesn't run without a "support staff" - mainframe.

I've seen too many "mini/micro" installations who are really disguised
"mainframe" shops - The hardware's cheap (another definition means),
but the software and the critical nature of the application(s) being
run are no different than any other "MIS/DP" environment.

William H. Magill                        Manager, PENNnet Operations Planning
Data Communications and Computing Services (DCCS)  University of Pennsylvania
Internet: magill@dccs.upenn.edu                   magill@eniac.seas.upenn.edu
          magill@upenn.edu

EDB85007@NOBIVM.BITNET (Espen Andersen) (02/07/90)

As to the definition for micro/mini/mainframe, I tell my students:

  - if you can throw it - it's a micro
  - if you can overturn it - it's a mini
  - if you hide in it - it's a mainframe

This definition has served me well for a long time - but I am beginning to
feel a little insecure ("portable mainframes" etc.).

On another discussion list someone proposed a definition of a personal
computer as "a computer you have the rigth to turn off" - well, what do you
think...?

   __                      Espen Andersen, Data Consultant
  /_  _   _   _  __        Norwegian School of Management
 (___/_)_/_)_(__/ /_       BITNET      :  EDB85007@NOBIVM.EARN
        /                  BIX         :  espen
                           Compuserve  :  71361,3425
                           Phone       :  +47 2 47 07 05

PMILLER@BOWDOIN.BITNET (Pete Miller, Academic Computing) (02/07/90)

  From: BITNET%"TOM@PENNDRLS.BITNET"      "Thomas D. Denier"  6-FEB-1990 12:43:3
8.62
  To:           PETE MILLER - BOWDOIN COLLEGE <PMILLER@BOWDOIN.BITNET>

  A system was considered a microcomputer if the system (including
  external peripherals, if any) could be moved in one trip using a
  wheelbarrow. A system was considered a minicomputer if it could be
  moved under the same ground rules with a pickup truck but not with
  a wheelbarrow. A system was considered a mainframe if a vehicle
  larger than a pickup truck was needed.

Another version uses this theme but suggests that if the user can be
moved in one trip with a wheelbarrow, the system is a micro, ... and
so on.

Anyhow, more seriously, we don't have an official set of definitions here,
but semi-formally we distinguish the following cases because their
support requirements seem usually to be distinct:

* Single-user systems -- always micros or "workstations" here; little
  expectation that the h/w and s/w on one will be the same as on any other;
  high expectation that user wants no one else to have any control over
  the system.

  Examples: individual micro in office, science department workstation.

* Small, usually "locally"-dedicated, multi-user systems -- sometimes
  comprising a LAN of single-user systems whose users are always doing
  related work; higher expectation that the same h/w and s/w are used
  throughout the system; general acceptance that someone controls the
  system.

  Examples: cluster of micros in admissions and physical plant, even
  if not literally networked; cluster of PS/2s in public Academic Computer
  lab; separate cluster of Macs in public lab.

* Large, multi-user systems -- Varied and concurrent work by unrelated people;
  certainty that someone controls the system.