[bit.listserv.notis-l] Circ replies and more

C81350JH@WUVMD.BITNET (Jeff Huestis) (02/02/90)

>Sender:       NOTIS/DOBIS discussion group list <NOTIS-L@TCSVM>
>From:         John Chase <UA5431@UOKMVSA.BITNET>
>Subject:      Circ replies and more

>    I found instant bliss when I concatenated the CICS loadlib on to the
>LIBDEF for LB610job, since we keep all the online programs separate from the
>batch programs.  I also had a current assembly of LB000 available, and had
>also changed the relevant dataset names in the JCL.

We have found that keeping our library search chains identical between the
online system and circulation batch processes has kept us blissfully ignorant
of a lot of problems.  This makes sense, since NOTIS is supposed to run as
*a system*, not just a collection of programs.  Acquisitions processes, to the
extent that we use NOTIS facilities, display similar characteristics.

However, the level of consistency checking needed for processes updating the
master files can often turn into overkill in other areas, such as certain
index generation jobs.  In that area, flexibility and fault-tolerance should
be a higher priority.

Jeff Huestis
Washington University Libraries