[bit.listserv.ibm-main] Is there an AIX/370 mailing list around

GUCME@SEGUC11.BITNET (Matz Engstroem) (02/09/90)

As many other university sites, we are very interested in the new
operating system AIX/370 and TCF. Is there any mailing list about this.
| Matz Engstroem                   | Phone    : +46 31 81 07 20        |
| Gothenburg Universities'         | Telefax  : +46 31 18 50 06        |
|    Computing Centre              | Telex    : GUCS21770              |
| Box 19070                        | E-Mail   : GUCME@SEGUC21.BITNET   |
| S-400 12 Gothenburg              |   or     : GUCME@GD.CHALMERS.SE   |
| Sweden                           | VM-files : GUCME@SEGUC11.BITNET   |
| Visiting adress:Kapellgaangen 5  | MVS-files: GUCME@SEGUC21.BITNET   |
'----------------------------------------------------------------------'

CHUCK@NCSUVM.BITNET (Chuck Kesler) (02/09/90)

>As many other university sites, we are very interested in the new
>operating system AIX/370 and TCF. Is there any mailing list about this.

majority of traffic on that list concerns AIX on PS/2's and the like.
If there seems to be a need for it and there is enough interest, I'm
willing to start up a AIX370-L mailing list on NCSUVM.  Send your votes
to ME, not the list.

Although there are sites that are running AIX/370 right now, evidently
they aren't really allowed to talk about the product yet because they
are part of an early-test program -- at least according to what I found
out when I asked about the status of AIX/370 on AIX-L about a month ago.
This would probably inhibit any 'true experiences' discussion on an
AIX370-L mailing list.

Does anybody else think that IBM should have chosen a different name
for AIX/370?  'AIX' has gotten a VERY bad reputation on this campus
because of the PC RT debacle.  It's a shame, because most everything
I've heard about AIX/370 thus far has been positive...

-Chuck

GETTES@PUCC.BITNET (Michael R. Gettes) (02/09/90)

On Fri, 9 Feb 90 08:43:38 EST Chuck Kesler said:
>majority of traffic on that list concerns AIX on PS/2's and the like.
>If there seems to be a need for it and there is enough interest, I'm
>willing to start up a AIX370-L mailing list on NCSUVM.  Send your votes
>to ME, not the list.

The description of the AIX-L list states the discussion is intended
for the area of AIX 370. Since AIX 370 is not exactly popular, for
lack of better terminology ;-), a good deal of discussion has been
in the area of the other AIX systems. Please keep AIX-L for the purpose
it was intended when AIX 370 becomes generally available.

/mrg

CHUCK@NCSUVM.BITNET (Chuck Kesler) (02/13/90)

Michael Gettes wrote:
>The description of the AIX-L list states the discussion is intended
>for the area of AIX 370. Since AIX 370 is not exactly popular, for
>lack of better terminology ;-), a good deal of discussion has been
>in the area of the other AIX systems. Please keep AIX-L for the purpose
>it was intended when AIX 370 becomes generally available.

I certainly don't want to undermine the purpose of AIX-L by starting up
an AIX370-L.  But, this situation does demonstrate one of those age-old
problems:  I'm subscribed to AIX-L solely to get info on AIX/370.
Because there is very little info to be had on AIX/370 at this time,
this means that maybe one in a hundred postings are of interest to me.
Meanwhile, I happily discard those other 99 on PS/2 AIX and RT AIX,
because I could care less about those subjects.  But that also means
that a fair amount of network resources have been wasted in shipping
those 99 articles that I cared nothing about to me.  Is there any way
to address this type of problem without segregating the list?

-Chuck

TROTH@RICEVM1.RICE.EDU (Rick Troth) (02/13/90)

>       ... I'm subscribed to AIX-L solely to get info on AIX/370.
>Because there is very little info to be had on AIX/370 at this time,
>this means that maybe one in a hundred postings are of interest to me.
>Meanwhile, I happily discard those other 99 on PS/2 AIX and RT AIX,
>because I could care less about those subjects.

        Perhaps your subscription was premature,  since there just isn't
much to be said about AIX/370 yet.  But much of what I've seen on AIX-L
is (presumably) common to all AIX platforms,  things like porting GNU
software, etc.

>                                                 But that also means
>that a fair amount of network resources have been wasted in shipping
>those 99 articles that I cared nothing about to me.  Is there any way
>to address this type of problem without segregating the list?

        Maybe you should "subscribe" to AIX-L from the "news" side
instead of receiving it as mail.  I'm really thankful that AIX-L is
one of those all-too-few discussions that's well joined between "mail"
and "news".  Is that still true MRG?

 "Campers,  for your own safety,  please DO NOT feed the bears."
 Rick Troth <TROTH@RICEVM1.RICE.EDU> ------------- Rice ONCS VM Systems Support

GETTES@PUCC.BITNET (Michael R. Gettes) (02/13/90)

On Mon, 12 Feb 90 12:43:25 CST Rick Troth said:
>        Maybe you should "subscribe" to AIX-L from the "news" side
>instead of receiving it as mail.  I'm really thankful that AIX-L is
>one of those all-too-few discussions that's well joined between "mail"
>and "news".  Is that still true MRG?

Actually, this was not done. I have not had time and I thought joining
AIX-L with comp.sys.aix and I am hesitant to join them since comp.sys.aix
is so oriented to the non-370 environment. I am inclined to leave
things as is for now. Yes, there is a NEWSGROUPS keyword on AIX-L
to allow for news readers on BITNET to subscribe to the list.

/mrg