[net.space] TENCATI at JPL-VLSI re:SPACE DIGEST V591

space@mit-mc (02/19/85)

From: nsc@Mitre-Bedford

Amen to nix to guitars in space and, by the way, to cremaspaceatoriums.

Guitars in space sounds like a high school science fair project.  If the
idea is to provide a forum for discussing space technology issues, this
is not one of them. It's a nit that's been fairly well picked by now.

Discussions of ashes in space will be as shortly remembered as discussions of
the dynamics of hula hoops.

Concur with the idea of "INFO-SPACE-JUNK" (sorta reminds you of the defunct
TV series QUARK, doesn't it?), but Ron's alternative is "INFO-NASA". That
would be a fairly interesting and highly patronized bboard, I'm sure. But
INFO-NASA is not exactly the same as INFO-SPACE. Nor is INFO-DOD-SPACE the
same, but you can't talk about space in a vacuum (sorry). It's NASA and it's
DOD and it's commercial space too.

That's what I think (and thought before I signed on) SPACE-ENTHUSIASTS
should be.

Bull (Navy Space Planner) (Views probably not exactly those of the management,
but pretty close I'd reckon.)

al@ames.UUCP (Al Globus) (02/21/85)

> From: nsc@Mitre-Bedford
>

> Amen to nix to guitars in space and, by the way, to cremaspaceatoriums.
>
> Guitars in space sounds like a high school science fair project.  If the
> idea is to provide a forum for discussing space technology issues, this
> is not one of them. It's a nit that's been fairly well picked by now.
>
> Discussions of ashes in space will be as shortly remembered as discussions of
> the dynamics of hula hoops.
>
> Concur with the idea of "INFO-SPACE-JUNK" (sorta reminds you of the defunct
> TV series QUARK, doesn't it?), but Ron's alternative is "INFO-NASA". That
> would be a fairly interesting and highly patronized bboard, I'm sure. But
> INFO-NASA is not exactly the same as INFO-SPACE. Nor is INFO-DOD-SPACE the
> same, but you can't talk about space in a vacuum (sorry). It's NASA and it's
> DOD and it's commercial space too.
>
> That's what I think (and thought before I signed on) SPACE-ENTHUSIASTS
> should be.
>
> Bull (Navy Space Planner) (Views probably not exactly those of the management,
> but pretty close I'd reckon.)

I feel that the net in general is a good place for stuff on the fringe.  If
you spend much time on the fringe you're bound to go over the line from
time to time.  I, for one, didn't mind and even enjoyed the guitar
thing even though it was entirely off base.  At least it wasn't the
same old s---.

As for space burial, I think it's a idiotic concept - and that the net
is a perfect place to discuss it.