[bit.listserv.pagemakr] Pitch vs. Pica/Points re-visited.

470820@UOTTAWA.BITNET (Neil Duffee) (02/02/90)

sorry Michael; no go.  There is a very distinct difference in measurement
between the two and they are actually inverse relations to each other.

Pitch is a measure of the number of characters that can be placed in
one inch.  ie. 12 pitch = 12 characters horizontally within 1 inch
and is smaller in size than 10 pitch  (less characters - more space)

Points - or rather, Picas and Points - are an actual measure of length
such that 12 points make 1 pica and there are approx 6 picas in 1 inch.
I say approx. since i have been informed that there are actually
72.01nnn (or was that 72.10nnn) points in 1 inch.  The decimals are
essentially insignificant for 90% of applications and most people
will say that 72 points make 1 inch.

However, when referring to type size, picas/points are measured vertically.
Hence, the larger the point size, the larger  the type contrasting with
       the larger the pitch size, the smaller the type.

Picas/points - and Ciceros, for that matter - are measurements from
the printing industry.  As a result, they are rather old (as things go)
and some would say archaic however, just walk in to any printing shop
anywhere (probably in the world for that matter) and they'll know what
you mean by 10pt type.  Pitch, on the other hand, I've only heard
in reference to typewriters (and now computer printers as CPI or
'characters per inch') which may have been a measurement invented for them.
Who knows?

Hope this helps.