[bit.listserv.nodmgt-l] Why nodes don't have a :routtab. tag

HANK@BARILVM.BITNET (Hank Nussbacher) (02/01/90)

>a) A :routtab tag must be specified for each node which uses
>   a table generation program. Such programs should use the
>   information from :routtab rather than from other sources
>   (:netsoft, :info).
>
>Why are there nodes which don't have a :routtab tag yet (in BITNET):
>The :routtab tag contained NETSERV as "provider" and the person from
>the :inform tag as "recipient".
>Conclusions:
>------------
>
>Check your node entry (entries) whether a :routtab tag is specified.
>If not, specify:
>
>     :routtab.NONE           if you need no table
>
>     :routtab.table_format   if you generate your table with GENROUTS
>
>     :routtab.table_format (NETSERV,recipient_nje_address)
>                             if the table is to be sent from NETSERV
>
>Send the update request for your node entry to your network
>administration (BITNIC or Country Coordinator).
>

>Regards, Berthold Pasch

What of those sites that have an AFD to the NETINIT file as you
suggested in your mail back in October?  They would not appear
as having a routtab, and I assumed that having an AFD was as good
as having a routtab entry:

>Date:         Fri, 27 Oct 89 09:38:23 CET
>Sender:       Network Operations Group <EARN-NOG@FRMOP11>
>From:         "Berthold Pasch +49 (6221) 404-242" <PASCH@DHDIBM1>
>Subject:      NETSERV support of :routtab tag

>An alternate way to subscribe to  routing table services of Netserv is to
>send  an AFD  ADD  request to  Netserv  for a  dummy  file named  "nodeid
>NETINIT". This is  also the only way  to subscribe if you  need a command
>line in  front of the  routing tables being shipped  to you (see  the AFD
>PROLOG  option).  AFD  ADD  to  "nodeid NETINIT"  can  only  be  sent  by
>"NETSERV-privileged-users", i.e. users with a NETSERV password.
>
>There will always only one routing table per node be provided. The order
>of preference of the subscriptions is:
>   1) the first AFD request that Netserv finds for this "nodeid NEITINIT"
>   2) the :routtab tag
>   3) the first :inform/:info tag pair that subscribes to RSCS, JES2,
>      JES2-nn, JES3, JNET or UREP (only for non-US Netservs)

>Berthold Pasch

As a matter of fact, it appears that AFD takes precedence over routtab.
That is why many Israeli sites don't have a routtab tag - they get it
via NETINIT.

Hank

PASCH@DHDIBM1.BITNET (Berthold Pasch) (02/02/90)

Hank, you are right. The NETSERV AFD function may also be used to
subscribe to routing table services. I did not want to describe
this in detail because my mail was already long enough and I feared
to confuse those people for which all this is very new.

In fact, it is suggested that everybody use :routtab as I have described,
and use AFD only, and in addition to the :routtab subscription when a
prologtext (e.g. commandline for a local server)
is required in front of the routing table.

Regards, Berthold Pasch