[bit.listserv.nodmgt-l] :routtab tableformat for NJEF

PASCH@DHDIBM1.BITNET (Berthold Pasch +49 (6221) 404-242) (02/07/90)

The following is the result of a discussion between
Ed Skochinski and me. What we are now looking for
are additional suggestions, considerations or objections
(if there are reasons why it should not work).

GR (genrouts) will support the NJEF routing table format.
However, the tables for NJEF require additional information which is
not (yet) provided in the nodes file (neither new nor old format).
The missing information is the 3-character local link-id ("lid")
to which NJEF will associate the linkname (adjacent nodename).
This "lid" MUST appear in the NJEF routing tables.
In order to avoid that NJEF node administrators have to edit the table
manually for inserting the proper "lid"s in more than 3000 route
statements, the correct "lid"s should be generated by GR (genrouts).
Thus GR has to know which linkname is associated with which "lid".

The most logical place to specify such a link-attribute would be
the linkdefinitions in the :linksNN tags. However, I'm reluctant
to extend the linkdefinition to include such local information.

The next logical place would be the :routtab tag since the "lid"s are
only used for generating the routing table and the tableformat in the
:routtab tag contains local information anyway.
The tableformat for NJEF could then be:
   NJEF linkname1=lid1 < linkname2=lid2 ... >
Since at present the maximum number of linkname=lid associations
used by any NJEF node is four, and it is unlikely to ever grow beyond
ten, I think this is a practical solution.
The total length of such a :routtab tag would still fit into the maximum
length allowed for tags (max is 255).

If there are no objections or better proposals, then I'll specify
the NJEF tableformat in :routtab as shown above.

Regards, Berthold Pasch

GETTES@PUCC.BITNET (Michael R. Gettes) (02/08/90)

On Wed, 7 Feb 90 11:09:31 CET Berthold Pasch +49 (6221) 404-242 said:
>If there are no objections or better proposals, then I'll specify
>the NJEF tableformat in :routtab as shown above.

Yes, I have a problem with this. I will restate that this kind of
information is not necessary within BITEARN NODES. This is a "table-format"
problem and not a routing problem. If NJEF nodes need some additional
information in their routing table, that happens to be tied to network
topology, then they should devise a program that figures out network
topology and the associated links and do the right thing with generating
a routing table. I believe this to be the case for HOMEBREW site as well.
We should be providing a routing table in a generic format, something
similar to what a standard pathalias map looks like (which I will show
below), and then auxiliary software would be developed to convert this
generic map into a routing table of appropriate format by software
developed or acquired by the local node. I do not like the idea of
riddling the BITEARN NODES file (and especially the :routtab tag) with
additional tidbits of information that is not necessary. And, saying
that a limit of 4 or 10 is ludicrous -- Murphy says it WILL exceed
whatever theoretical limit you set. I vote no for this additional
information being introduced into the :routtab tag and to
adding this type of information to BITEARN NODES in general.

A few lines from the PUCC MAP produced by pathalias. I have a program
that then turns this map into a RSCS routing table.

acadia	punfsv2!cornellc!utorvm!unbmvs1!dalac!acadia!%s
acmvm	punfsv2!cunyvmv2!cunyvm!acmvm!%s
acusd	punfsv2!ucbcmsa!uclacn1!uscvm!ucivmsa!sdsc!acusd!%s
acuvax	punfsv2!ricevm1!uhou!utgate!acuvax!%s
aearn	punfsv2!cunyvmv2!frmop22!cearnv2!aearn!%s
aeclcr	punfsv2!cornellc!utorvm!mcgill1!qucdn!uottawa!aeclcr!%s
agu	punfsv2!psuvm!psubit!gwuvm!agu!%s
ainuni01	punfsv2!cunyvmv2!frmop22!cearnv2!aearn!ainuni01!%s
aip	punfsv2!yalevm!sbccvm!hofstra!aip!%s
akron	punfsv2!ohstvma!csuohio!akron!%s

If you will notice, you get more information with a pathalias map
then you do just a routing table. ACADIA is routed via the link
PUNFSV2. But, it also shows the full path taken from PUCC to ACADIA.
Additionally, from this map I can display all the published links
for any node on the network with one pass of this file.

/mrg

mwh@IVORY.EDUCOM.EDU (Michael Hrybyk) (02/08/90)

I would not like to see routtab cluttered with things that genrouts
should take care of. The unique linkid can be manufactured and output;
why is it necessary to specify?

Mike

1GTLEJS@CALSTATE.BITNET (Ed Skochinski) (02/08/90)

On Wed, 7 Feb 90 11:53:34 EST, GETTES@PUCC.BITNET said,

> We should be providing a routing table in a generic format, something
> similar to what a standard pathalias map looks like

According to this thinking, the only thing that we should be providing is
a copy of BITEARN NODES.  BITEARN NODES is generic in format and supplies
all the necessary BITNET/EARN/NETNORTH topology data needed to describe
the networks managed by the entities of the same names.

>                                                    This is a "table-format"
> problem and not a routing problem.
>                                          I do not like the idea of
> riddling the BITEARN NODES file (and especially the :routtab tag) with
> additional tidbits of information that is not necessary.

The :routtab tag exists for the purposes of generating ROUTing TABles, as
well as for specifying responsible parties (in the form of NJE addresses).
If "table-format" problems are improper data for BITEARN NODES, then argue
for the removal of :routtab and the demise of GENROUTS and GR, not for the
beauty of the tag contents.

There is an effort to provide routing tables for members of the
above-named networks by automatic methods.  Right or wrong, this service
is available to anyone who has a defined table format.  For those without
defined table formats, they can either a) mourn their exclusion, or b)
respond to the individuals responsible for :routtab and GR who posted
requests for information on table formats so that the service could be
extended to as many as possible.  The information for NJEF *is* necessary
to generate run-ready configuration directives.  The JES2 offsets "O=nn"
are of exactly the same nature.

Ed Skochinski
Operating Systems Support
The California State University

ERIC@SEARN.BITNET (Eric Thomas) (02/08/90)

I think  you have to  be reasonable. One thing  is to include  in BITEARN
NODES information  which is  needed for  a particular  OS only  but which
cannot be  added locally into  the file, eg node  numbers for JES.  It is
another thing  entirely to  start putting  purely local  information into
BITEARN NODES. Let's say GENROUTS were  to make NJEF routing tables with,
for instance, the string '*linkname*'  in lieu of the LIN identification.
How many lines of  code does it take to make a  FORTRAN program that will
read a file where each record contains a linkname and the associated LIN,
and then read the output of  GENROUTS and replace all the *linkname* with
the corresponding value?

Let's put the  problem another way. Let's  say that I'm the  techrep of a
new node  running software XYZ, which  needs routing tables but  which is
not supported by  GENROUTS, and requires the specification  of the colour
of the  cable going from my  communication controller to my  modem in the
routing  tables.  I  would  already  be VERY  grateful  if  the  GENROUTS
developers took  time to write  the code to  create a routing  table that
contains everything except the colour of  the cable. I would gladly spend
some of my  time to write the necessary additional  software, and send it
to whomever might  need it. And I  would find it normal  that the BITEARN
NODES specifications  are not changed for  my system, since it  is not an
absolute  requirement   for  the  information   to  be  there   (that  is
unfortunately not  the case of JES  node numbers), and since  other sites
obviously do not care about the colour of my modem cables.

To summarize, let's try to keep whatever is local local.

  Eric

GETTES@PUCC.BITNET (Michael R. Gettes) (02/09/90)

On Wed, 7 Feb 90 20:22:31 PST Ed Skochinski said:
>According to this thinking, the only thing that we should be providing is
>a copy of BITEARN NODES.  BITEARN NODES is generic in format and supplies
>all the necessary BITNET/EARN/NETNORTH topology data needed to describe
>the networks managed by the entities of the same names.

True. However, you will need a program to read BITEARN NODES and extract
the topological information for the network and create a view of the
network from the local node (or other nodes). This is the purpose
of pathalias (and GR).

>The :routtab tag exists for the purposes of generating ROUTing TABles, as
>well as for specifying responsible parties (in the form of NJE addresses).
>If "table-format" problems are improper data for BITEARN NODES, then argue
>for the removal of :routtab and the demise of GENROUTS and GR, not for the
>beauty of the tag contents.
>
>There is an effort to provide routing tables for members of the
>above-named networks by automatic methods.  Right or wrong, this service
>is available to anyone who has a defined table format.  For those without

Very good. So, I argue for the removal of the table-format information
from the :routtab tag. Table format is not an issue if we create generic
tables such as the one created by pathalias. I argue for the continued
use of :routtab to have the originator and recipient fields for the
purposes of providing the generation of the generic table by network
services such as NETSERV (or other such needed processors). I completely
agree that the service of providing routing tables for the network
is good and still necessary, however I believe that the format of the
table should be generic so as to resolve the problems of various table
formats.

Now, as for the NJEF lid stuff... I appreciate your problem. However,
I believe that what you stated in your description is a "network management"
problem within CALSTATE as for your naming conventions. You need lid
information for NJEF only for NJEF software at your site. Then, you
can use the pathalias map in conjunction with some other table that
specifies the lid information for your organization and connecting
sites. The entire network does not need to know about this (at least
this is my understanding). Yes, this means some additional work on
the part of NJEF systems to develop software to generate routing tables
for their systems, well this has to be done for UREP, RSCS, JNET, HOMEBREW
and FOOBAR systems as well. The point is, with pathalias and generic
routing tables, we will not have to worry about routing for BITNET
for quite some time. Pathalias is extremely robust and features that
BITNET cannot even begin to consider until it removes its restrictions
for symmetry.

Lastly, in response to Andy Robinson suggesting a new tag... given
what I have stated here, if one agrees with what I have suggested,
then the need for a new tag to describe parameters for routing tables
is no longer needed -- a generic table does not need parameters,
by definition.

Now, to add one last piece of information to this pathalias discussion.
For the new topology proposed for the restructuring of BITNET the current
GENROUTS has trouble generating routing tables for certain nodes. This is
a known problem with certain pathological views of the network. It only
happens in certain cases. I have come up with realistic views of what
BITNET may look like over the next year or so and have successfully
generated generic routing tables for every node in the US using
pathalias for each topology. The current GENROUTS did not work.
I have not had the time to test out the new GR program, my apologies
to Peter Sylvester (only 25 hours in a day) and redoing those tests
a quite time consuming, verification is tedious.

/mrg

mwh@IVORY.EDUCOM.EDU (Michael Hrybyk) (02/09/90)

fastrout/pathalias will generate a linkid by truncating a nodename
in a given format specification. The post-processor handles the
problem, so no node specific information is necessary in the :routtab
tag. Moreover, this is the proper place (post-proc) for making adjustments
in format.

Note that GR could do the same thing, but new code would be necessary.
fastrout shares the shortest path and cycle trimming code as in pathalias.
It will have none of the liabilities of GR to which Mike Gettes alluded.

I'm just about ready to ship fastrout to folks that volunteered for
porting. I'm running a bit late, and have had little spare time of
late to tidy up loose ends.

Mike Hrybyk
BITNIC

1GTLEJS@CALSTATE.BITNET (Ed Skochinski) (02/09/90)

Michael Gettes wrote:

> Very good. So, I argue for the removal of the table-format information
> from the :routtab tag. Table format is not an issue if we create generic
> tables such as the one created by pathalias. I argue for the continued
> use of :routtab to have the originator and recipient fields for the
> purposes of providing the generation of the generic table by network
> services such as NETSERV (or other such needed processors).

I could live with this.  I'm taking fair advantage of the *current*
:routtab definition.  JES node numbers may be taken from existing tags,
but the OFFSET "O=nn" most certainly is local information.  Since there is
this precedent of :routtab containing local information, I see no problem
with NJEF needing local information.  Without the precedent, I wouldn't be
defending my position.  I suppose I could insist, "If you forbid NJEF
local parameters, then you *must* remove O=nn."  Acceptance of this would
be a Pyrrhic victory.  It's just dumb luck that JES2's local part is
cosmetically clean and NJEF is somewhat messy.

Eric Thomas wrote:
> Let's put the  problem another way. Let's  say that I'm the  techrep of a
> new node  running software XYZ, which  needs routing tables but  which is
> not supported by  GENROUTS, and requires the specification  of the colour
> of the  cable going from my  communication controller to my  modem in the
> routing  tables.
>                             And I  would find it normal  that the BITEARN
> NODES specifications  are not changed for  my system, since it  is not an
> absolute  requirement   for  the  information   to  be  there   (that  is
> unfortunately not  the case of JES  node numbers), and since  other sites
> obviously do not care about the colour of my modem cables.

How about this way:  Let's say that software XYZ needs bizarre text
strings, such as "ROUTE" in front of the destination node and neighbor
node.  And, I can determine this as side effect of the name of their
networking software.  I should find it normal that BITEARN NODES does not
carry this information, and should not expect the routing table generator
to be special-cased to handle this side effect, no matter how
deterministic it might be.  Other sites obviously do not care about the
spelling and format of my configuration statements, so long as I keep up to
date.  Furthermore, a large percentage of the hosts on the network have
this software, but their weighty presence is not sufficient to force a
network supported program to special-case only the software with clout
derived from their quantity.  I should be VERY happy to receive a list
containing only two columns of data:  A destination node name and a
neighboring node name to whom I can pass.

Eric's argument is excellent support of the format-independent table
proposed by Michael.  However, GR creates configuration statements,
not just a tailored network snapshot.  NJEF sites have as much right
to run-ready congiguration statements as do the rest.

Eric Thomas writes:
> To summarize, let's try to keep whatever is local local.

We now treat :netsoft as informational only.  This is obviously local
data, let's remove it.  If I read the descriptions correctly, tags
:nodedesc, :machine, :system, and :remarkN are local.  Keep them out of
BITEARN NODES.  I assume that the wars over inclusion of these tags are
long since over.  Why should we tolerate this local data, and at the same
time forbid information which enhances the service provided to a member's
site?

Ed Skochinski
Operating Systems Support
The California State University

GRZ027@DBNGMD21.BITNET (Peter Sylvester +49 228 8199645) (02/09/90)

There is not much difference between the JES2 node numbers
and the lids. The requirement for JES2 node number is that
they have to be the same from one table to he next. Nobody
forces us to have the same node numbers in all JES2 systems
(actually the offset makes them different.)

The old GENROUTS could have read a previous JES2 initialization
file for that node, and reserve some range for free assignments
of node numbers. The next month these node number would be
taken. Of course this only works when the JES2 table are
available where GENROUTS is used, but in the beginning of EARN
the tables had been created at the central NETSERV. The central
assignment of node numbers was a simple solution.

For GR and NJEF we have the situation that we need some three
character names associated to the direct neighbours, and these
names must not change and they should not be arbitrily choosen
because of local naming conventions.

If GR is used at a remote NETSERV to create an NJEF table then
either local post processing must be done, or the information
about the lids has to be in BITEARN NODES.

The current GR writes LIDnnnn where nnnn is the JES2 nodenumber,i.e.
an erroneous file is created.

Peter

ERIC@SEARN.BITNET (Eric Thomas) (02/09/90)

This is getting ridiculous.

>JES node numbers may be taken  from existing tags, but the OFFSET "O=nn"
>most certainly is local information.

I'm not  the one who  decided to put JES  node number offsets  in BITEARN
NODES, and I can certainly see problems stemming from this (eg node X had
O=40, installs  10 new  nodes, and it  takes 6 months  for the  update of
their node entry to take place  so they have to correct tables "manually"
for 6  months). However, this  is something which  has been in  place for
years, which has nonzero usefulness, and  it would therefore be stupid to
remove this support.

>How  about this  way: Let's  say that  software XYZ  needs bizarre  text
>strings, such as  "ROUTE" in front of the destination  node and neighbor
>node. And,  I can  determine this as  side effect of  the name  of their
>networking software. I should find it normal that BITEARN NODES does not
>carry this information,

How about this way: given a good  dictionary and a bit of imagination, it
is possible to translate simple  statements from, say, spanish to foreign
languages.  Therefore  in a  country  like  Switzerland where  there  are
significant amounts  of german-,  french- and italian-speaking  people, I
should find it normal that, for instance, train time-tables and touristic
information  be given  only  in  spanish; everybody  would  just buy  the
appropriate dictionary and  translate as necessary. As you  may know, VMS
and VM are the two most common  operating systems on BITNET; I have run a
quick  search on  BITEARN nodes  and found  1.8% of  NJEF sites.  You can
hardly compare the "value-for-effort" ratio of the two solutions.

>We now  treat :netsoft  as informational only.  This is  obviously local
>data, let's remove it.

Sorry Ed, but *I* definitely care  about what type of networking software
a site  is running. This  field is used  by the LISTSERV  'BITEARN NODES'
database formatter, and is useful  information FOR HUMAN BEINGS. The same
is true, by definition, of :remarkN.

Now I'm starting to get fed up  with this issue. Ed, I'm making an offer.
Send me a description of the format  of your routing tables and, if I can
find  a FORTRAN  compiler on  site, I'll  make you  a FORTRAN  program to
update it  as per a local  LID file. It  will probably take me  less time
than I needed to write this note.

  Eric

MAINTCMS@PUCC.BITNET (John Wagner) (02/09/90)

On Thu, 8 Feb 90 14:03:02 PST Ed Skochinski said:
>We now treat :netsoft as informational only.  This is obviously local
>data, let's remove it.  If I read the descriptions correctly, tags
>:nodedesc, :machine, :system, and :remarkN are local.  Keep them out of
>BITEARN NODES.  I assume that the wars over inclusion of these tags are
>long since over.  Why should we tolerate this local data, and at the same
>time forbid information which enhances the service provided to a member's
>site?

Ed, I would argue that :nodedesc, :machine, :netsoft and :system are
not local data.  I often use these in my job as postmaster to try to
detemine what I should be seeing in mis-routed mail (i.e.  why did I
get back PMDF Receives: from a VM system that I know is running
MAILER?).  :netsoft tells you what kind of commands you can issue to
the node.  To me these are not the same sort of entity as the
additional info in the :routtab tag that started the whole discussion.
These are people usable.

Despite my earlier statement to the contratry, the :routtab can not be
used by a person, except to see if a node claims someone is generating
routing tables for it.

Maybe I'm crazy, but to me it seems much more important to know the
routing tool is producing valid routes.  That to me is the most
important service being provided.  It is already known that GENROUTS
cannot produce correct routing tables for some network configurations.
I don't know if GR has been validated, but I sure hope it will be.  I
do know that the time to validate it will be substantial.

In the same vein of removing local info from the :routtab tag, Mike
Gettes and I have talked a little about the O= value for JES2 systems.
I'm not familiar with how the routing tables for JES2 works.  Is there
any reason a generic table couldn't be created (with the node number
in the appropriate field but without the offset applied) and then post
process this table to add the local offset value?  Would some JES2
folk post how those numbers are used?

GETTES@PUCC.BITNET (Michael R. Gettes) (02/09/90)

On Thu, 8 Feb 90 14:03:02 PST Ed Skochinski said:
>local parameters, then you *must* remove O=nn."  Acceptance of this would
>be a Pyrrhic victory.  It's just dumb luck that JES2's local part is
>cosmetically clean and NJEF is somewhat messy.

I submit that the O=nn is not necessary either. This too could be handled
by the table generating post-processing software for a pathalias map.

>                              I should be VERY happy to receive a list
>containing only two columns of data:  A destination node name and a
>neighboring node name to whom I can pass.

You get this in a pathalias map, along with additional information of
what the next hop is after the neighboring node, and so on. I believe
this to be beneficial.

>Eric's argument is excellent support of the format-independent table
>proposed by Michael.  However, GR creates configuration statements,
>not just a tailored network snapshot.  NJEF sites have as much right
>to run-ready congiguration statements as do the rest.

These configuration statements have been removed in the new GR. The
current configuation statements in the current GENROUTS is simply
a guideline. I like having something at the top of the routing
table that says "these are the directly connected links..." which
signifies how the routing table was generated.

>We now treat :netsoft as informational only.  This is obviously local
>data, let's remove it.  If I read the descriptions correctly, tags
>:nodedesc, :machine, :system, and :remarkN are local.  Keep them out of
>BITEARN NODES.  I assume that the wars over inclusion of these tags are
>long since over.  Why should we tolerate this local data, and at the same
>time forbid information which enhances the service provided to a member's
>site?

My feeling is that there are various systems that run on BITNET,
and unfortunately, due to lack of standards and specifications, these
systems vary enough that it is absolutely necessary to know the type
of system, software and machine in order to communicate with these
various nodes (and to diagnose problems as well). I do not agree
that this is "local" information.

/mrg

GOMIDE@BRFAPESP.BITNET (02/10/90)

> To summarize, let's try to keep whatever is local local.

> We now treat :netsoft as informational only.  This is obviously local
> data, let's remove it.  If I read the descriptions correctly, tags
> :nodedesc, :machine, :system, and :remarkN are local.  Keep them out of
> BITEARN NODES.  I assume that the wars over inclusion of these tags are
> long since over.  Why should we tolerate this local data, and at the same
> time forbid information which enhances the service provided to a member's
> site?

Why should the Universe bother with such local info as :planet.EARTH - where is
that planet anyway? Somewhere near Andromeda, I heard.

GETTES@PUCC.BITNET (Michael R. Gettes) (02/10/90)

On Fri, 9 Feb 90 09:45:15 PST Ed Skochinski said:
>The new GR does in fact produce run-ready configuration statements for its
>supported table formats (or in the case of NJEF, comes close, and thus
>this entire argument...).

I would hope that it is somewhere documented that these "run-ready"
statements are not recommended to be used and included for documentation
purposes only (since they are commented records).

>I would support a change to [the new] GR such that it produces an
>agreed-upon generic format.  Additionally, GR could add to each line (or
>logical output record) sufficient data for a post-processor to create a
>complete configuration statement.  The sufficient data could come from
>BITEARN NODES *only*, and would be based upon the :routtab.table-type.
>The reason for this addition:  it would be wasteful to require another
>program to parse and extract BITEARN NODES tags while GR has already done
>the task and can align it node-for-node upon output.  This would satisfy

This is getting ridiculous. Mike Hrybyk has already provided a bitnet
version of pathalias that can deal with BITEARN NODES. I am not in favor
of having GR generate a generic format. I recommend the use of pathalias
because its routing algorithm works and has been proven over the last
7 or 8 years of its use. Obviously this point is of little concern
to persons who do not deal with the network topology -- but it is of
great concern to me.

>Furthermore, with GR being written in Pascal, it would satisfy the lowest
>common denominator criteria.

Wrong. This criteria is not formally recognized. C is far more prevelant
in the world today, and this is my opinion just as Pascal is yours.
As I stated before, I believe the true LCD is FORTRAN, and I believe
that this is not an option at this time. If you want to transform the
pathalias C program into Pascal, fine.

As for use of pathalias, at least in the US, I think it is time to
either have a public referendum or decision by a higher authority.
I do not believe that GR is the way to go. I believe pathalias is
the right direction, especially considering the possible dynamics of
the future.

I feel I have clearly stated my case. I think it is at the point where
enough explanation has been set forth where people can make their own
decisions or at least ask appropriate questions. This is, of course,
my opinion.

/mrg

RAF@NIHCU.BITNET (Roger Fajman) (02/10/90)

> In the same vein of removing local info from the :routtab tag, Mike
> Gettes and I have talked a little about the O= value for JES2 systems.
> I'm not familiar with how the routing tables for JES2 works.  Is there
> any reason a generic table couldn't be created (with the node number
> in the appropriate field but without the offset applied) and then post
> process this table to add the local offset value?  Would some JES2
> folk post how those numbers are used?

Here's a sample from NIHCU's January 1990 routing table, created by
GENROUTS:

N0200 NAME=CUNYVM,NONETATH,NODEVATH,NOJOBATH,NOSYSATH,SNA
CONNECT NODEA=0200,MEMBA=1,NODEB=1852,MEMBB=1,REST=2  /* -> CUNYVMV2 */

N0201 NAME=AKRON,NONETATH,NODEVATH,NOJOBATH,NOSYSATH,SNA
CONNECT NODEA=0201,MEMBA=1,NODEB=0227,MEMBB=1,REST=2  /* -> CSUOHIO  */

N0202 NAME=ANLCHM,NONETATH,NODEVATH,NOJOBATH,NOSYSATH,SNA
CONNECT NODEA=0202,MEMBA=1,NODEB=0207,MEMBB=1,REST=2  /* -> ANLOS    */

The Nnnnn statements are defining the node numbers and names, plus
other attributes of the nodes.  We use a starting node number of 200
(O=199).

The CONNECT statements are defining the connections between the nodes.
NODEA and NODEB are specifying the node numbers of the two ends of the
connection.  MEMBA and MEMBB are specifying particular machines in a
loosely coupled complex.

"/* whatever */" is a comment.

We run JES2 2.2.0.  Other versions use somewhat different formats, but
the information is the same.

JES2 uses the CONNECT statements to figure out what link it needs to
send a particular file on.  If the Network Path Manager is used, then
the CONNECT statements are omitted and JES2 figures out for itself
dynamically what is connected to what.  Information is passed around
the network for this purpose.  Currently only JES2 has a Network Path
Manager, so all BITNET nodes are defined with CONNECT statements.

By the way, it is possible to define multiple connections, loops, etc.
JES2 will use resistances to figure out with path to use.  The BITNET
tables to do make use of this capability because other NJE software
does not support it.

To answer the question, yes, it would be possible to post process a
routing table to add in the offset.  Why that would make sense is a lot
less clear to me.  If you are going to do that, you might as well run
some program to generate your own routing table from scratch (GENROUTS
or a replacement for it).  GENROUTS and GR do run on MVS.  I don't know
about Pathalias/Fastrout.

I've been using GENROUTS for several years and am quite satisfied.
Before that my routing table got lost in transit more than once.

RAF@NIHCU.BITNET (Roger Fajman) (02/10/90)

> As for use of pathalias, at least in the US, I think it is time to
> either have a public referendum or decision by a higher authority.
> I do not believe that GR is the way to go. I believe pathalias is
> the right direction, especially considering the possible dynamics of
> the future.
>
> I feel I have clearly stated my case. I think it is at the point where
> enough explanation has been set forth where people can make their own
> decisions or at least ask appropriate questions. This is, of course,
> my opinion.
>
> /mrg

What would such a vote or decsion be on?  I suppose it could decide
what tools to use on BITNET for centralized generation of routing
tables, although that in itself wouldn't get the rest of the necessary
software written to replace what is being done with NETSERV and
GENROUTS.  I certainly don't see how individual sites could be
prevented from using whatever tools they deem proper to generate their
own routing tables.  I also don't think it is desirable to try to
prevent that.

GETTES@PUCC.BITNET (Michael R. Gettes) (02/12/90)

On Fri, 9 Feb 90 20:56:55 EST Roger Fajman said:
>What would such a vote or decsion be on?  I suppose it could decide
>what tools to use on BITNET for centralized generation of routing
>tables, although that in itself wouldn't get the rest of the necessary
>software written to replace what is being done with NETSERV and
>GENROUTS.  I certainly don't see how individual sites could be
>prevented from using whatever tools they deem proper to generate their
>own routing tables.  I also don't think it is desirable to try to
>prevent that.

If "standards" were ever implemented for our fine network, then I believe
a standard should exist such that all nodes on the network MUST use
the same routing table generation programs. We cannot have nodes
generating routing tables that do not use similar algorithms or
similar data. I believe that a vote or decision would be on the use
of pathalias as a tool for centralized generation of routing tables
as well as distributed (local) generation of routing tables. Basically,
to decide whether or pathalias should replace GENROUTS for CREN.

/mrg