[net.space] SPACE Digest V5 #90

space@mit-mc (02/17/85)

From: Ron Tencati <TENCATI@JPL-VLSI.ARPA>

I vote for making a separate SPACE mailing list for those who want to
discuss ad infinitum about whether electric amplifiers will work in a
vacuum.  How about INFO-SPACE-JUNK for them, and INFO-NASA for the rest
of us that wish to keep the list professional.

Ron Tencati
JPL-VLSI
------

eugene@ames.UUCP (Eugene Miya) (02/20/85)

> From: Ron Tencati <TENCATI@JPL-VLSI.ARPA>
>
> I vote for making a separate SPACE mailing list for those who want to
> discuss ad infinitum about whether electric amplifiers will work in a
> vacuum.  How about INFO-SPACE-JUNK for them, and INFO-NASA for the rest
> of us that wish to keep the list professional.
>
> Ron Tencati
> JPL-VLSI
> ------

[pilot light on]
i had to comment on this on. [also, thank you to all who have sent letters,
i am touched].

i vote against.  i realize the description about the usenet/arpanet
gatewaying has been described [i prefer the usenet interface even though
i have arpa access.  i think ele* amp*s requires a bit of tolerance
on our part.  i don't want to see an info-nasa because nasa does not
represent to only view on the use of space.  i am sorry if you cannot
ignore mail [i use to have an account on the vax known as jpl-vlsi, so
i know what you are doing to read the group].  because some of us
represent the 'official' agency, there is a tendency for some to see
"special dispensation" by default [unspoken].  i think the mear fact
that i or other nasa people on this net biases some people from posting.
that is one reason why i only wish to sit back for a while, since i have
noticed changes on this net since i started flaming.

hand is getting tired, so HAVE TOLERANCE.  the volume on this news group
is small, so this is possible.  i learned the ropes by getting
burned, and people informed so.  nasa has few sits on either
the arpanet [we're not part of the dod, so we don't get special
dis*] or the uucpnet.  i know one nasa official [not ted flinn] who used
to read the net "until it was too filled with trash."  thats okay,
we are thinking about our own local newgroups for discussing
work related issues like what goes on the space station, but this
would bore most people.  that's choice [to a degree, mind you].

--eugene miya
  NASA Ames Research Center
  {hplabs,ihnp4,dual,hao,vortex}!ames!aurora!eugene
  emiya@ames-vmsb.ARPA

stevel@haddock.UUCP (02/22/85)

Professional???????????

Eugine(sp?) at ames is the only one who shows a truly
professionsal outlook in these groups, net.columba and net.space.
The rest of us are just kabitzers(sp? again) and late news service
readers. I subscribe so I like it but lets face reality.

Steve Ludlum, decvax!yale-co!ima!stevel, {amd|ihnp4!cbosgd}!ima!stevel
Interactive Systems, 7th floor, 441 Stuart st, Boston, MA 02116; 617-247-1155

peterb@pbear.UUCP (02/22/85)

	Where does it say that the list of subscribers HAS to be
	professional in this regard???  Who knows, in our ravings
	we may discover an answer to a pressing problem dealing
	with human operations in vacuum/zero-g.  I don't know
	about you, but I love to brainstorm a lot and usually it
	supplies some very interesting and workable results.

						Peter Barada
						ima!pbear!peterb

chuck@dartvax.UUCP (Chuck Simmons) (02/23/85)

> we are thinking about our own local newgroups for discussing
> work related issues like what goes on the space station, but this
> would bore most people.
>
> --eugene miya

I, for one, would love to listen in on NASA's technical discussions.
Of course, I would hope that every now and then someone would explain
things for me, but I would not feel slighted if I could only read
without asking questions or posting comments.

chuck.simmons%d1@dartvax

eugene@ames.UUCP (Eugene Miya) (02/25/85)

> Professional???????????
>
> Eugine(sp?) at ames is the only one who shows a truly
> professionsal outlook in these groups, net.columba and net.space.
>
> Steve Ludlum, decvax!yale-co!ima!stevel, {amd|ihnp4!cbosgd}!ima!stevel
> Interactive Systems, 7th floor, 441 Stuart st, Boston, MA 02116; 617-247-1155

permit me to crawl out my cave while our systems people get cft 1.14 installed.

professional? me? consider me in the usenix jargon: an "un-official."
why would anybody take space seriously?  it's no better reality, but i must
confess working on space projects: so far seasat, voyager, hcmm, landsat
was childhood ambition. [what to do rocky horror groupies use as their
ending quote?]  don't take space too seriously [within limits].   don't
take me to seriously: i have not worked on shuttle or other manned
projects, nor on the space station.  the postings by phil and adam to
net.columbia as well as numerous others are as good as having other nasa
centers on the net [better in some ways].  fortunately
for me, my management approves my scanning the usenet.  they have been
impressed by posting of net.jobs, requests for device drivers on
net.wanted, and so forth.

now i am out of direct space work and into supercomputing.  i lunch with
space station and pioneer project people, but yearn for deep space work.
nuclear winter research is important, too.  regarding the news group,
i think ron's letter and subsequent follow on have sparked new thinking.
last week's quality: postings on extraterrestial intelligence and
space construction are quite impressive.

although space digest is archived on the arpanet, what the news group
needs the most is some sort of long-term collective memory.  i've suggested
this to net.astro with meager response.  we need summary collections of
past discussions to prevent going in circles and rediscovering the "wheel."
something like mark horton's introduction to reading network news is in
order.  it's that simple.  the problem is the disk space and access.
anybody want to experiment with optical storage?

time to crawl back to the cray and "non" debug the new compiler.

suffering diarrhea of the mouth.