[net.space] Single Stage to Orbit

space@mit-mc (02/26/85)

From: Hank.Walker@CMU-CS-UNH

Unless I've missed some new data, SCRAM jets have not yet achieved net
positive thrust.  Dual-fuel engines (kerosene/LH2) can be used to build a
single-stage-to-orbit vehicle, but these too need years of work to perfect.

stevel@haddock.UUCP (02/27/85)

> Unless I've missed some new data, SCRAM jets have not yet achieved net
> positive thrust.

In this weeks Aviation Week & Space Technology page 52 claims
"Testing has already produced net thrust to drag ratios of better
then one at high Mach numbers."

Later in the article.
"The relativly small engine has been tested at speeds around Mach
4, and researchers plan to begin tests at higher speeds this
year."

Steve Ludlum, decvax!yale-co!ima!stevel, {amd|ihnp4!cbosgd}!ima!stevel
decwrl!amd!ima!stevel, {uscvax|ucla-vax|vortex}!ism780!stevel
Interactive Systems, 7th floor, 441 Stuart st, Boston, MA 02116; 617-247-1155