[net.space] Momentum transfer in light sails

space@mit-mc (03/02/85)

From: Rick McGeer (on an aaa-60-s) <mcgeer%ucbkim@Berkeley>

	Sure there is.  Use various sails, of differing sizes, at varying
angles and distances from your craft.  The momentum vector of your craft
is the sum of the momentum vectors of the various light sails, which are all
radial to the sun (but the sum vector need not be).

	The restriction is that net momentum is always *away* from the sun:
you can't accelerate in a sunward direction using a light sail.

	Actually, now that I think of it, there's no reason that the
momentum vector of a sail need be radial to the sun: if the sail were
forced to deform, so that pole of the sail was not in its centre, then the
resultant vector *wouldn't* be radial to the sun.

	Further thought on tacking into the sun: yes, it can be done, if you
use gravitational interactions.  That is, tack in an outbound direction
against your current elliptical solar orbit: you'll kill your radial
velocity and fall inward.

							Rick.

space@mit-mc (03/02/85)

From: bsuper%ucbtopaz.CC@Berkeley

     After reading Rick McGeers' description of momentum transfer between
photons and a light sail, it seems to me that all momentum imparted to the
sail must be radial to the sun.  Is there any way to impart momentum to the
sail in a tangential direction?

al@ames.UUCP (Al Globus) (03/04/85)

>      After reading Rick McGeers' description of momentum transfer between
> photons and a light sail, it seems to me that all momentum imparted to the
> sail must be radial to the sun.  Is there any way to impart momentum to the
> sail in a tangential direction?

Yes.  The acceleration is normal to the plane of the sail.  Draw the
vectors in 2D in a piece of paper with the photon comming in at an
angle.  Take the vector sums and maintain conservation of momentum in
all directions and you'll see what I mean.   I wish I could put my
Mac drawings on this thing.