[list.british-cars] Morris 1100 info

archer@hsi.com (Garry Archer) (02/07/90)

I dug up some more info on the Morris/Austin/MG 1100 series, for what
its worth.

Earlier, I wrote:
> ... Of course,
> there was a duplicate Austin 1100 version.  And British Leyland back then had
                                                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                                                  BMC more precisely

> to have a "sporting" version.  So they beefed up the suspension, tuned up
> the engine, pryed off the Morris/Austin badge and glued on an MG badge, hence
> the MG 1100 was born.  ...
>
> Me Dad's car drove very nicely.  I enjoyed the oversized steering wheel.
> It was pretty peppy, but by today's standards it would probably be considered
> slow (I'm guessing a 0-60 time of 15 or 16 seconds).  If I remember
                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
			not a bad guess, ahem...

> correctly (it's been over 10 years since I drove it) it had a soft suspension.
                                                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
								(See below)

And now, without further ado:

Morris/MG/Austin 1100 notes
===========================

1962-67 Morris 1100

	Transverse engine (ala Mini).  The new interconnected Hydrolastic
	suspension set new standards of ride and comfort in the small car range.
	Minis used the new suspension from 1964 to 1969 when the original
	rubber units were re-introduced.  The body was styled by Farina and
	this styled car was destined to be Britain's top-selling car for close
	on a decade.

	ohv 4 cyl 1098cc; SU carb;
	48 bhp @ 5100 rpm; 0-50 mph of 15.2 sec;
	standing qtr-mile @ 22.9 sec; 33 mpig*; 77.7 mph max speed

	*mpig - Miles per Imperial Gallon

1962-68 MG 1100

	This is the "badge-engineered" version of BMC's 1100, using the
	same body.  It's easy to tell an MG 1100 apart from it's Morris
	and Austin cousins.  The MG had vertical slats in the front grille,
	the other two had a wider grille with horizontal slats. Note 2 SU
	carbs and much improved performance.

	ohv 4 cyl 1098cc; 2 SU carbs;
	55 bhp @ 5500 rpm; 0-50 mph of 12.7 sec;
	standing qtr-mile @ 21.3 sec; 29.7 mpig; 85 mph max speed

	For 1967-68 there was also an MG 1300 that used the A-series 1275cc
	engine.  This was replaced by the MG 1300 mkII for 1968-71 at about
	the time BMC was taken over by BL in 1968.  (An aside: As part of the
	rationalisation that took place at the time of BL's formation, the
	MG Magnette was dropped in 1968.  I believe this made the MG 1300 mkIII
	the only MG saloon available at this time.  Correct?)

1963-67 Austin 1100

	The Austin version (again same body, different badge) was soon to
	follow.  The specs are exactly the same as the Morris 1100.

1967-71 Morris 1100 mkII and Austin 1100 mkII

	ohv 4 cyl 1098cc; SU carb;
	55 bhp @ 5500 rpm; 0-50 mph of 12.7 sec;
	standing qtr-mile @ 21.3 sec; 27.1 mpig; 78 mph max speed

	The mark II versions came out accompanied by two new variants, the
	Morris/Austin 1300 mkII and the Morris/Austin 1300 GT mkII.  The GT
	engine, at least, was the A-series 1275cc engine.  The GT engine had
	2 SU carbs.

1971-74 Morris 1100 mkIII and Austin 1100 mkIII

	(Sorry specs not available)

	These were also accompanied by mark III versions of the 1300 and
	the 1300 GT for both badges.

1974	The Morris/Austin 1100 series was replaced by the Austin Allegro.

Hope this helps!

	Garry Archer