[list.british-cars] Gross-Jets, SU's

garnett@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Roger Garnett) (02/13/90)

Larry asks about Gross-Jets- I have one set, so far. they seem to be a
hardy design, using a ball seal, instead of a needle. One thing I found, is
that they cant stand up to as much fuel pressure as the needle type. I
was dealing with a 'merican type pump, in the range of 7 PSI, when I should
have had ~ 3 PSI. The needle valves could almost hold out, while the gross-jets
blew right past, leading to float overflow. This was abuse above and beyond
the call... Installing a pressure regulator was called for. They do seem
less prone to sticking as they wear out, but may seep instead? Take your pick!

Someone asked about the carbs on his '73 B- These should be dual SU Type HIF,
NOT Strombergs. They do have an automatic choke, and integral float
bowls. The work reasonably well when cared for. Some still prefer to
fit a manual choke kit to them. The next stage is to go to a set of
older HS4's.
	In my article on adjusting SU's, I didn't cover setting the automatic
chokes, as I don't have that commited to memory, but the reference books
carry the necessary info. I have posted a more updated version of this
than the one Zahid posted, and it can be found on Rich's article server.
(Last update- 5/89)
I hesitate to repost that, and my checklist too often, so as not to use
up net-band-with, especially now that they are on the server. (I do have
to update the checklist on the server to the current version tho, and spring
IS comming)
   ________
  /___  _  \        Roger Garnett           (garnett@tcgould.TN.CORNELL.EDU)
 /|   ||  \ \       Agricultural Economics   | The All New:
| |___||  _  |      3 Warren Hall            | South Lansing Centre For
| | \  |   | |      Cornell University       | Wayward Sports Cars
 \|  \ |__/ /       Ithaca, N.Y. 14853       | (607) 533-7735
  \________/        (607) 255-2522           | SAFETY FAST!

gregoret@cgl.ucsf.edu (02/13/90)

Roger Garnett writes:

>Larry asks about Gross-Jets- I have one set, so far. they seem to be a
>hardy design, using a ball seal, instead of a needle. One thing I found, is
>that they cant stand up to as much fuel pressure as the needle type. I
>was dealing with a 'merican type pump, in the range of 7 PSI, when I should
>have had ~ 3 PSI.The needle valves could almost hold out, while the gross-jets
>blew right past, leading to float overflow. This was abuse above and beyond
>the call... Installing a pressure regulator was called for. They do seem
>less prone to sticking as they wear out, but may seep instead? Take your pick!

Great! the day before the original posting about the Gross-jets, we
happened to have ordered some for our '66 MGB to solve this problem
exactly -- float overflow.  They should be coming from Moss today.
Well, if they don't fix the overflow problem, we'll know what to buy
next!  I'll keep you posted.  (I don't think we have an American fuel
pump though.)

Lydia Gregoret gregoret@cgl.ucsf.edu

mark thompson <markt@hpiaclh.hp.com> (02/14/90)

Roger-

I enjoyed your points on SU tune up, but  i have a Zenith/Stromberg on my 71
Spitfire. Would you, or anyone, care to give similar points on Strom?

Mark