	Date: Mon, 19 Feb 90 11:58:26 EST
	From: tolsoft!amdahl!ames!garp.MIT.EDU!mit-eddie!cbmvax.commodore.com!jesup (Randell Jesup)
	To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
	Subject: Re:  Speedo on TR6 (and E-Type)

	>well, on my friends bugeye'd sprite, the tachometer was electrical, and
	>measured the RPM by means of an inductive pickup off the wire bringing
	>12 volts (originally ground) to the coil.  when the points closed, and
	>the coil charged, a current would flow in the wire which would induce a
	>voltage inside the tach.

	Uh, I think you're confused.  The Bugeye's (and the Mk II's) had mechanical
	tachs run off the generator (via a hard-to-find little gearbox).  Starting
	with the Mk III (1098cc, roll-up windows, etc) they switched to the
	inductive tachs, which were used for the rest of the sprites and midgets.
	Also interesting was that the inductive tachs would vary their readings
	slightly depending on whether the lights were on (voltage drop).

oh!  his car was definitely a bugeye, so i guess someone had retrofitted
an inductive tach into it.  i guess i was confused as to how the tach
switch was done, though ...

				craig

phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov (Philip J Ethier) (02/22/90)

>  Date: Mon, 19 Feb 90 11:58:26 EST
>  From: tolsoft!amdahl!ames!garp.MIT.EDU!mit-eddie!cbmvax.commodore.com!jesup (Randell Jesup)
>  To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
>  Subject: Re:  Speedo on TR6 (and E-Type)
>
>  >well, on my friends bugeye'd sprite, the tachometer was electrical, and
>  >measured the RPM by means of an inductive pickup off the wire bringing
>  >12 volts (originally ground) to the coil.  when the points closed, and
>  >the coil charged, a current would flow in the wire which would induce a
>  >voltage inside the tach.
>
>  Uh, I think you're confused.  The Bugeye's (and the Mk II's) had mechanical
>  tachs run off the generator (via a hard-to-find little gearbox).  Starting
>  with the Mk III (1098cc, roll-up windows, etc) they switched to the
>  inductive tachs, which were used for the rest of the sprites and midgets.
>  Also interesting was that the inductive tachs would vary their readings
>  slightly depending on whether the lights were on (voltage drop).
>
> oh!  his car was definitely a bugeye, so i guess someone had retrofitted
> an inductive tach into it.  i guess i was confused as to how the tach
> switch was done, though ...
>
>     craig

I am not really surprized by this.  Bugeyes with 1275s and disk brakes
are not that uncommon.  The mechanical tachs were, I understand,
troublesome, so i'm sure a lot of them have been replaced.  Also, a
lot of cars have had alternators put in, or later model generators
without the tach drive.  My speedo bounces badly sometimes and my
Smiths (electric) tach is wildly optomistic.  I just enjoy the sound
(no radio, either)  any try not to worry about any of it.
phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov
--
Login name: phile        In real life: Philip J Ethier
Phone: 298-5324