[net.space] Lunar colonies

space@mit-mc (03/07/85)

From: rachiele@NADC

It seems to me that the general game plan should be to plan many landings,
weeks apart.  Possible the second a week after the first, then every 2 weeks
for a while.  This would allow for rotation of personnel as well as delivery
of oxygen etc.
    Possibly the first landing could be two or more one-way ships to be
cannabilized, the next 10 or so landings would make return trips.

             Jim Rachiele

stevel@haddock.UUCP (03/09/85)

> This would allow for rotation of personnel as well as delivery
> of oxygen etc.

Your going to rotate personel????? How long do you expect people
to stay up there. At the cost of training and sending them up
I would expect at least a three month tour of duty, more likely
six months. Now for the off the cuff calculation.

3 Days transit time * 2 people * 26 times per year = 156 man days wasted

In sending people back, not to mention all the payload lost
due to having to carry the people, fuel and oxygen. Better to
send plants and nitrate to make oxygen on the moon.

The faster a moon colony is self sufficient the better chance
of it surviving.

Steve Ludlum, decvax!yale-co!ima!stevel, {ihnp4|cbosgd}!ima!stevel

peterb@pbear.UUCP (03/09/85)

	Sure you can get two one way ships there and then cannabalize them,
but lets be serious now. I know of no facility capable of launching a space
vehicle large enough to get to the moon other than JFK. There I don't think
they can handle two week launch times. Especially for something
that big.