[list.british-cars] miscellany

garnett@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Roger Garnett) (02/28/90)

For those unlucky enough not to have a reasonable (import) magazine store
in their area:
Pratical Classics and Car Restorer
	Pratical Classics
	Kelsey House
	77 High St.
	Beckenham, Kent  BR3 1AN
For:		Attn:
Big Books	Book Offers
Mini Books	Mini Books	(Darrell- the TR4A lists for lbs. 3.25 + 1.00
				 for postage. VISA is the easiest way to pay,
				 if you can.)
USA Subscriptions-	$44.00 "airlifted" (may be less if not?)   Contact:
   Eric Walter Assc., P.O. Box 188, Berkeley Hts, N.J. 07922   (201) 665-7814
or   Don Scott, 4281 Scott Way, Calistoga, CA. 94515   (707) 942-0546

Phil mentions:
	...if you can keep the iron from losing electrons you help prevent
	rust and that is why cars have the negative terminal of the car
	battery connected directly to the body.

I don't have the exact theory handy, but, it is valid. (you could ask Larry
Lipman on Rec.Autos.Tech) I believe it has to do with the overall polarity
of the car, and its interaction with pos. and neg. Ions and other particles.
Many cars *used* to have pos. ground, but most all production changed over
by the mid-60's. Neg. ground doesn't eliminate reaction, but reduces it,
especially in electrolytic enviroments like the salty N.E. winters.

	...does anyone have any Bentley's Spridget manuals around for sale?
Moss Motors.
	"the Complete Official Sprite/Midget", I cannot remember who
That should be the Bentley. :-)

	Wade Nivison, MA has for sale:
	Sprite MkII Workshop Manual (AKD1834) @ $100.

That's How much I paid for my Sprite- and it came with that book. Mayby the
car was free?

ed D. mumbles:
	Next time, just go on in there and keep muttering 'Whitworth'
	Anybody have a short disourse about fasteners?

Sizes named by diameter of shaft:
SAE (some acronoym about american "standards", which lists the various systems
of pitch, hardness, etc.)
ASF- American Standard Fine -Found on many British (and Japaneese) cars of the
		60's. US measure, fine threads/in.
ASC- American Standard Course -More often found on US cars, and easier to
		find in hardware stores.
BSF- Similar diameters & thread pitch to ASF, but different thread profile.
		(different angle, more rounded) Found on older British Iron.
Sizes named by size of *bolt head*
Whitworth- He was one of the first to come up with a standard thread system.
	Used in England from ><~1875? and even in the US for a while.
	Used in random locations on British cars of all years until they
	went metric in the late 70's.
Metric- just as bad as the rest- there may be *3* thread pitches for a
	given diameter, instead of just 2!
There are/have been others, lesser used. And don't forget the pipe threads,
(tapered).
You think you have problems- My MG PA uses BSF, with some Whitworth thrown in.
I have an ASF/C tap & die set, but still need to get BSF, Metric, AND Whitworth!
   ________
  /___  _  \        Roger Garnett           (garnett@tcgould.TN.CORNELL.EDU)
 /|   ||  \ \       Agricultural Economics   | The All New:
| |___||  _  |      3 Warren Hall            | South Lansing Centre For
| | \  |   | |      Cornell University       | Wayward Sports Cars
 \|  \ |__/ /       Ithaca, N.Y. 14853       | (607) 533-7735
  \________/        (607) 255-2522           | SAFETY FAST!

chrisp@mrloog.wr.tek.com (02/28/90)

RG wrote:
>Sizes named by size of *bolt head*
>Whitworth- He was one of the first to come up with a standard thread system.
>	Used in England from ><~1875? and even in the US for a while.
>	Used in random locations on British cars of all years until they
>	went metric in the late 70's.
>Metric- just as bad as the rest- there may be *3* thread pitches for a
>	given diameter, instead of just 2!
>There are/have been others, lesser used. And don't forget the pipe threads,
>(tapered).
>You think you have problems- My MG PA uses BSF, with some Whitworth thrown in.
>I have an ASF/C tap & die set, but still need to get BSF, Metric,AND Whitworth!

A friend has some whitworth sockets he had used to work in his Norton.  Somehow
I ended up with a few of them.  Imagine my surprise when I found that the
Moss gearboxes from early Jags were held together with nearly all Whitworth
fasteners!  I lucked out this time, as I had the correct socket to fit what
I was attempting to remove.

Has anyone bought Snap-On spanners recently?  What might I expect to spend
for this brand of tool?  I've finally located a route that the Snap-On
Tool Van follows (most shops up here buy Mac, and there somehow are just
not the same...:-).

 Christopher M. Perez		# chrisp@mrloog.WR.TEK.COM
 "Heart in mouth, teeth in pocket, I was about to depart in a glorified
 hip bath geared for 170mph!... pressing the starter...Cough! Blat!
 Sputter!...Cough! Blat!  Blatblatblat! Kerrrowwww! The 3.4-litre
 straight-six was in business..." To Le Mans by Jaguar by Tom Llewellin

richard welty <welty@lewis.crd.ge.com> (02/28/90)

    Sizes named by diameter of shaft:
    SAE (some acronoym about american "standards", which lists the various systems
    of pitch, hardness, etc.)

hmmm.  SAE stands for `Society of Automotive Engineers', the
society which promulgates standards in the US.  i'd imagine that
SAE fasteners are those which follow SAE Standards.

-- richard

richard welty <welty@lewis.crd.ge.com> (02/28/90)

    Has anyone bought Snap-On spanners recently?  What might I expect to spend
    for this brand of tool?

entirely too much.  i've a current price book, and have bought one
new Snap-On tool (a slide gear puller/hammer.)  unless you really need
a particular tool, or are using lots of tools very heavily, i'd stick
with one of these choices:  1) craftsman; 2) S&K; or 3) find a decent
used tool store.  i have purchased a number of used Snap-On tools,
and it doesn't hurt as much at 1/2 of list price.

the only exception i might make to the above is the Snap-On `flank drive'
socket set; these are wonderful sockets and are much easier on the edges
of the bolts and nuts that you use them on.  i lust after a set of
1/2" flank drive sockets.  fortunately, i've restrained myself from
spending all my lunch money on a set.

richard

kam@titan.tsd.arlut.utexas.edu (Katherine Minister Hosch) (03/01/90)

>     Has anyone bought Snap-On spanners recently?  What might I expect to spend
>     for this brand of tool?
>
> entirely too much.  i've a current price book, and have bought one
> new Snap-On tool (a slide gear puller/hammer.)  unless you really need
> a particular tool, or are using lots of tools very heavily, i'd stick
> with one of these choices:  1) craftsman; 2) S&K; or 3) find a decent
> used tool store.  i have purchased a number of used Snap-On tools,
> and it doesn't hurt as much at 1/2 of list price.
> richard

At the risk of starting a flame-war, I must beg to differ
with the response.  We have tried snap-on, s&k, and (of course) craftsman,
and I would recommend snap-on every time, if you can possibly afford them.
Craftsman is adequate for trivial stuff, but really seems guaranteed to
disappoint.  My husband and I made a pledge not to shop at sears after
we returned the second (and last) of two torc wrenches.  The first had been
opened and didn't contain any instructions at all.  The second had *not* been
opened, but when we opened it it was clear that it had been used.  The wrench
had cakes of greasy grime rubbed in it, and the instructions were covered in
greasy fingerprints.  We bought a used (not used sold as new) torc wrench
from snap-on, as well as several other items.  We seem always to reach for
the snap-ons when there is a choice. . .

richard welty <welty@lewis.crd.ge.com> (03/01/90)

to amplify and clarify, and generally expand upon my earlier comments ...

	Has anyone bought Snap-On spanners recently?  What might I expect to spend
	for this brand of tool?

    entirely too much.  i've a current price book, and have bought one
    new Snap-On tool (a slide gear puller/hammer.)  unless you really need
    a particular tool, or are using lots of tools very heavily, i'd stick
    with one of these choices:  1) craftsman; 2) S&K; or 3) find a decent
    used tool store.  i have purchased a number of used Snap-On tools,
    and it doesn't hurt as much at 1/2 of list price.

keep in mind that i think Snap-On tools are extremely well made, and
that the quality of Craftsman tools is on the decline.  even so, you
still get an outstanding warranty on non-powered Craftsman tools, so
unless you are seriously dissatisfied with them, they're a good route
to take.  me, i'm approaching dissatisfaction with them, but lots of
people i know are still happy with 'em.

richard