[rec.arts.startrek.info] Ottawa

news@fxgrp.fx.com (News) (08/14/90)

The first ever Ottawa Creation Con was held on August 4-5 this year and, as at
TIMECON, George Takei was the guest speaker.  I thought I'd pass on things I
heard that I haven't seen posted previously, following up on the latest TIMECON
posting (since it had pertinent info).

In article <1990Aug6.054800.12230@fxgrp.fx.com> griffith@dweeb.fx.com (Jim Grif
fith) writes:

[About George Takei]
>He was asked how well-defined his character was prior to his receiving the
>role.  He said that the central characters were fairly well-defined, but
>the peripheral characters were only vaguely defined, and he had some
>latitude to put some of himself into the character.  But he could only
>flesh his character out in the context of the scripts.

He's still big into the "Captain Sulu" concept as a series, with First Officer
Checkov and Uhura, and Consulting Engineer Scott.  He *wants* to do a series,
(but the Big Three don't) and thinks there's room for it and TNG.

[About ST:TNG Season III]
>The start of the season was somewhat confused because they didn't know
>whether or not Dr. Crusher would be back.  Diana Muldaur was not going to
>return, and rather than try to get a third person to play the doctor, they
>decided to try to get Gates again.

The problem was a major personality conflict between Diana Muldaur and Patrick
Stewart.  "She goes or I go!"

[About ST:TNG Season IV]
>"The Best of Both Worlds" will largely be concluded in part II, the season
>opener.  There will be a lot of loose ends left, which will be resolved in
>the second episode, called "Family", essentially part III.  So they're
>going to resolve the cliff-hanger over two episodes.  Family will take part
>on Earth.  Shelby will return for the resolution of the Borg Trilogy, and
>she will probably be a recurring character, but not a regular one.

When asked about Captain Picard's health, and how they can get rid of the
"little metal bits in his face" the response was "Well, Q's still around".
[COP OUT!]

Shelby will not be a regular because her agent insisted that she appear in the
opening credits, something the other actors rejected.

Other Tidbits:

WESLEY IS LEAVING!!!!!

Wil Wheaton is leaving ST:TNG to pursue a movie career. [GOOD LUCK! SEE YA!]
His last episode will be the 8th of Season IV, and his departure will be left
open for a return (presumably he will finally go to the Academy).

[Note - I've actually known about this for about a month now, but I've been
	unable to comment on it.  He is also supposedly interested in college.
	He *has* signed an 8-episode contract, with an option to renew it, but
	my sources suggest that he may actually break that contract after the
	fifth episode or so.  This would let him out of ST:TNG filming around
	the first of September, which is about right for most universities - ed.]

Denise Crosby will appear in Season IV. [As Yar? Unknown.]

That's all I heard that I havent seen here before...

--
D. Gordon Smith         Voice: (613) 738-1338 ext 6118       P.O. Box 9707
Cognos Incorporated       FAX: (613) 738-0002                3755 Riverside Dr.

Edited by Jim Griffith - the official scapegoat for r.a.s.i.
Email submissions to trek-info@dweeb.fx.com, and questions to
						trek-info-request@dweeb.fx.com