[net.space] Lunar Colony

chris@ISM780.UUCP (03/02/85)

 I've been wondering about how much mass would be needed to get
a small colony started on the moon. I'm assuming that the colony
would be 4 to 8 people living on the moon for a couple of years.
There would be flights from earth, but they would not (because of
cost) be able to bring each and every item that was needed. What
i suspect they would bring is complicated manufactured items
(like chips, carbon mono-filament, carbide tipped machine tool
bits) that would be too difficult to manufacture on the moon.

 It seems like one of the first orders of business would be
to start some type of farm, because food is high bulk, and people
need a lot of it every day. Water and oxygen would be broken out
of the rocks, and metals smelted using solar mirrors.

 Living arrangements would almost certainly have to be underground
to provide cheap protection against sunlight, radiation, micrometeorites
and big tempreture changes. One housing technique might be to dig a
hole, put in a big ballon, and cover it with foam in place plastic
to provide a rigid shell. This would then be covered with lunar
soil as an insulator.

Here is the list of stuff (by no means comprehensive) that looks
necessary:

a lathe                 Food for ~1 year
plastic monomers        solar mirror pieces (don't have to be very good)
plastic tents           digging equipment (vacuum version of small cat)
water                   fertilizers, seeds, farming tools
electronic repair kit   medical equipment and drugs
explosives              wire, lights, general electrical contractors stuff
air renewer (and spares) pressure suits

This is looking like quite a bit of mass. How do we get it into orbit,
and how do we get it down to the lunar surface?

			chris kostanick
			decvax!vortex!ism780!chris

peterb@pbear.UUCP (03/04/85)

	One Idea I think somebody must have kicked around is to design a
rocket ship to land in as big a piece as possible(aka most mass) and then
canniblize it to make your tools and get your raw sources.

	If one took time when designing this rocket, one could also design
parts of tooling machinery INTO the rocket, so when you dismantle the
rocket, voila! You have your parts to build a CAT bulldozer, lathe, etc.

	Still it is a lot of mass to cart around, but If you're gonna do it,
go all the way, and then rip up your bridge behind you to build the one in
front of you....

					Peter Barada
					ima!pbear!peterb

ems@amdahl.UUCP (ems) (03/05/85)

>  It seems like one of the first orders of business would be
> to start some type of farm, because food is high bulk, and people
> need a lot of it every day. Water and oxygen would be broken out
> of the rocks, and metals smelted using solar mirrors.
>
> a lathe                 Food for ~1 year
> plastic monomers        solar mirror pieces (don't have to be very good)
> plastic tents           digging equipment (vacuum version of small cat)
> water                   fertilizers, seeds, farming tools
> electronic repair kit   medical equipment and drugs
> explosives              wire, lights, general electrical contractors stuff
> air renewer (and spares) pressure suits

The first order of business is housing, second is air,
third is water, fourth is food.  Somewhat in parallel
with these comes the need for various tools.  As a decendant
of blacksmiths I have learned the traditions of tool making.
Forget draging the farmtools and small hand tools up with you
(after the first batch - and even they are optional).  A good
smith given reasonable ore and smelting facilities can make
an astounding number of tools. Drill bits are among the easier
things to make.  A lathe would be hard, but given time ...
(you see, first you make the anvil, hammer and tongs, then
the files, bits, punches and chisles.  Next come the pliers...)

(I can see it now:  'Neath the spreading antennae tree,
                          the village smithy ... '
Image of burly man sweating in space suite, pull back to show
craters and solar forge...)

Also, explosives can be made from plant and animal products.
Look into the technology of back-to-the-earth homesteads and
survivalists for some creative solutions.  Mostly what you
need is a way to make water, air, and soil (the hard part.
there is a lot of stuff in soil.)  rand keep it from
going away while you let controlled amounts of sunlight in.
The rest depends on the kind of lifestyle you want.  It
could range from early agricultural (add seeds) on up to
hightech (add hightech list of medicines and electronics).

E. Michael Smith  ...!{hplabs,ihnp4,amd,nsc}!amdahl!ems

Computo ergo sum

The opinions expressed by me are not representative of those of any
other person - natural, unnatural, or fictional - and only marginally
reflect my opinions as strained by the language.

al@ames.UUCP (Al Globus) (03/13/85)

> Forget draging the farmtools and small hand tools up with you
> (after the first batch - and even they are optional).  A good
> smith given reasonable ore and smelting facilities can make
> an astounding number of tools.

And, I imagin, produce an astounding amount of atmospheric pollution.
Since the available atmosphere is very small, you cannot disperse
things into it.  EVERY byproduct of your processes must be dealt
with.  The basic idea is very good though.  Bring tools that make
tools.  There was a study some time ago that identified a few dozen
tools that could be used to make almost any other industrial or agricultural
tool.  Unfortunately, I can't remember where the study came from.  I
think the California Space Institute had something to do with it.

ems@amdahl.UUCP (ems) (03/16/85)

> > Forget draging the farmtools and small hand tools up with you
> > (after the first batch - and even they are optional).  A good
> > smith given reasonable ore and smelting facilities can make
> > an astounding number of tools.
>
> And, I imagin, produce an astounding amount of atmospheric pollution.
> Since the available atmosphere is very small, you cannot disperse
> things into it.  EVERY byproduct of your processes must be dealt
> with.

The part about the smith in the space suit was humor.  I would
expect that the actual work would be done inside.  Yes, it would be
a closed system.  There will be garbage to deal with.  Don't
see how that changes things.  The process of reducing ore has
traditionally used carbon for this.  To waste scarce carbon by dumping
it into the 'air' would be plain stupid.  This brings up an
interesting point though:  what reducing agents are found in the
lunar environment?

>        The basic idea is very good though.  Bring tools that make
> tools.  There was a study some time ago that identified a few dozen
> tools that could be used to make almost any other industrial or agricultural
> tool.  Unfortunately, I can't remember where the study came from.  I
> think the California Space Institute had something to do with it.

A few dozen?  My god, that would be luxury!  I have a book on
smithing that shows how to start with *NONE*.  Start by making a few
bricks by hand.  These are cured in a fire made by hand.  They are
used to make a *VERY* crude furnace.  With this you smelt some
ore to get pig iron.  The iron is drained from the furnace into
rough moulds dug in the dirt (either by hand or with a stick or
a rock).  These first lumps of iron are moulded as a flat lump
for use as an anvil and a squarish lump with a hole in the middle for
a hammer.  Aditional iron is used for making pigs.  With the bootstrap
anvil and hammer you make crude tools for building a forge, billows,
real anvil and real hammer.

The first of these is the tongs.  They hold the work piece while
you use the hammer on it.  Next is a cutting tool or two.  (like
chisles)  With these you cut a file blank.  Harden it.  Then your
ready to do a better anvil and hammer.  Then some more tools and
a better forge.  etc.

Bootstraping is never easy, but it can be done!  Required are
dirt and clay, fuel (heat source), ore and reducing agent
(traditionally wood), water (for quenching and hardening),
and wood & leather for a billows (Though I would expect that
with solar heat the billows would be optional :-)

I would also expect that starting with a couple of good power
tools, a solar smelter kit, a real hammer and anvil, and a few
decent hand tools would get you a few years ahead of the game
real quick!
--

E. Michael Smith  ...!{hplabs,ihnp4,amd,nsc}!amdahl!ems

Comedo ergo dorum

This is the obligatory disclaimer of everything.

space@mit-mc (03/18/85)

From: Rick McGeer (on an z29-e) <mcgeer%ucbkim@Berkeley>

> > Forget draging the farmtools and small hand tools up with you
> > (after the first batch - and even they are optional).  A good
> > smith given reasonable ore and smelting facilities can make
> > an astounding number of tools.
>
> And, I imagin, produce an astounding amount of atmospheric pollution.
> Since the available atmosphere is very small, you cannot disperse
> things into it.  EVERY byproduct of your processes must be dealt
> with.

Forgive me, but I don't understand.  How on earth can you have air pollution
when you don't have air?  In this case, the byproducts of smelting wouldn't
be precipitate suspended in a fluid (= air pollution), but rather would
settle to the ground as a dust.

						Rick.