[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] A1000 DIY ROM upgrade and ?? Expansion ??

sheffler@sheltie.CS.CMU.EDU (Thomas Sheffler) (02/01/90)

I bought a USED 1000 a couple of months ago and have been having great
fun with it.  The previous owner put in a 68010 and did some upgrade
that came from the net or an Amazing Computing article.  Here's what
it did:

	- moved 256K of Kickstart Ram into useable ram
	  (there's a call to a program called "addmem ..." in startup-seq)

	- he burned his own PROMs (KS 1.2)
	  and put them where the KickRam went.

I took the box apart recently and saw that I have a Rev A motherboard.
The daughterboard had a few changes made to it.

HERE'S MY QUESTION:  is anyone familiar with this modification and
how does it affect my chances for expansion.  I'm thinking of adding
some more RAM, maybe a HD.  What about putting in 1.3 ROMs (or 1.4).
Could these go where the PROMs are now?

Thanks in advance for any information.  I realize that most of the
discussion on this topic probably occurred 3 years ago and I'm a
little behind the times with my little A1000.

	-Tom

terry@helios.ucsc.edu (Terry Ricketts) (02/03/90)

In article <SHEFFLER.90Feb1104419@sheltie.CS.CMU.EDU> sheffler@sheltie.CS.CMU.EDU (Thomas Sheffler) writes:

>I bought a USED 1000 a couple of months ago and have been having great
>fun with it.  The previous owner put in a 68010 and did some upgrade
>that came from the net or an Amazing Computing article.  Here's what
>it did:
>
>	- moved 256K of Kickstart Ram into useable ram
>	  (there's a call to a program called "addmem ..." in startup-seq)
>
>	- he burned his own PROMs (KS 1.2)
>	  and put them where the KickRam went.
>
>HERE'S MY QUESTION:  is anyone familiar with this modification and
>how does it affect my chances for expansion.  I'm thinking of adding
>some more RAM, maybe a HD.  What about putting in 1.3 ROMs (or 1.4).
>Could these go where the PROMs are now?

	It sounds like the mod you describe is the one written up in one of
the early issues of Robo City News, the magazine of FAUG in the SF bay area.
I remember, several years ago, copying it and posting it on People Link for
others to read and use, but never did it in my own machine.
	If you have access to a prom burner it is easy to upgrade the proms
to any Kickstart you want. There is software available to read the Kickstart
disk and produce the 4 files needed for the proms, and it is PD.
	I have done the 512k Memory hack to my 1000 & remember noting that it
would not interfere with the rom mod, so I don't think you will have any
problems there. Using other internal memory mods such as the Insider or Spirit
boards should also work fine, since they fit into the rear of the motherboard
and plug into the 68000 socket.
	I'm sure there are some other hackers out there who have actually
done this mod that can help you some more. Good luck.
				Terry