[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] External Disk Drive -> Internal

gomez@enuxha.eas.asu.edu (Jose L. Gomez-Rubio) (02/04/90)

Is it possible to convert an external California Access 880 Disk Drive
into an Amiga 2000?  Thanks for the info.
--
gomez@enuxha.eas.asu.edu

packer@h.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (Michael A Packer,Knapp Hall,,2928607) (02/04/90)

From article <465@enuxha.eas.asu.edu>, by gomez@enuxha.eas.asu.edu (Jose L. Gomez-Rubio):
> Is it possible to convert an external California Access 880 Disk Drive
> into an Amiga 2000?  Thanks for the info.
> --

	If you find out how to convert an external disk drive into a
computer please post!!!!

USMAIL:	318 Knapp Hall, WVU, Morgantown, WV 26506
PHONE:	304 293-3607
INTERNET : packer@a.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu
USENET:  {allegra,bellcore,ihpn4!cadre,decvax!idis,psuvax1}!pitt!wvucsa!packer

gomez@enuxha.eas.asu.edu (Jose L. Gomez-Rubio) (02/04/90)

Forgot to add two words: internal drive.  Funny, when the mind operates
in light speed.  :-)
--
gomez@enuxha.eas.asu.edu

davids@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Dave Schreiber) (02/04/90)

In article <465@enuxha.eas.asu.edu> gomez@enuxha.eas.asu.edu (Jose L. Gomez-Rubio) writes:
>Is it possible to convert an external California Access 880 Disk Drive
>into an Amiga 2000?  Thanks for the info.
>--
>gomez@enuxha.eas.asu.edu

Last August, at the suggestion of my users' group chairman, I took apart
my external California Access drive and put it inside my 2000.  Afterwards,
he convinced me to write an article about it for the group's newsletter.
Below is a copy of that article.  I haven't had any problems with it since
I installed it (over five months).  The drive is a bit small for the bay,
but looks are only skin deep :-).

The article was written with a local audience in mind, so let me clarify
a few of the names:  Fry's Electronics is a local computer/electronics/
appliance "supermarket" that sells Amigas (among other things) and had the
Commodore 2010 manual available to be read.  Orchard Supply Hardware is
a general purpose hardware store chain;  I don't know how far the chain
extends, and I apologize for the OSH part numbers if you don't have one
of the stores nearby.  Also, AugNET is the name of the users' group.

No guarantee or warrenty is expressed or implied with this article.  "It
worked for me."  I doubt Commodore or California Access would approve of
this procedure and it will certainly void the warrenty of your drive, and
perhaps your Amiga 2000 as well.

The diagrams are in the form of a 2400x1200 IFF-ILBM bitmap that I designed
to be printed out on a 300dpi printer.  It's about 27K ZOOed & uuencoded;
mail me if you want a copy, and if there are enough requests (say five or
more), I'll post it to the net.

Whew.  Now that I've gotten all that out of the way, here's the text of
the article.  Enjoy.

------cut here----------cut RIGHT here------thank you-------

At the July AugNET workshop meeting, someone asked me if I had
considered putting my external drive into my Amiga 2000.  Fifteen hours
later, after a trip to Fry's Electronics and two trips to Orchard
Supply Hardware, I had two internal drives and an empty disk drive
shell.  For those of you with a California Access external drive, this
article is designed to show you how to install one of those drives in
the second internal drive bay in your 2000.

First off I should state that neither I, AugNET, nor any of it's
officers will take responsibility for any damage you cause to your
equipment because of this article.  This procedure is not for those who
are unsure of themselves when it comes to hardware;  if you have any
doubts, have a dealer do it for you.  The model I used was an early
California Access drive, the one without the on/off switch, so I can't
say if what I describe will work on those drives with the switch.  If
anything described in this article seems different from your setup,
stop and consult your dealer or California Access.  Also be sure to
read this article through at least once before attempting anything.

To start off, you'll need the following items:  a California Access
external 3.5 inch Amiga floppy drive, a Phillips head screwdriver, a
flat head screwdriver, 4 screws (Orchard Supply Hardware part
#9214602), 16 nuts (OSH part #9215047), and a jumper.  Shut off the
power to your computer and unplug everything.  Unscrew the screws on
the C-A drive and gently pull it apart.  Be careful, as the drive is
attached to the top of the case and the cable connector is attached to
the bottom.  Unplug the power cable and the ribbon cable from the
drive.

Put the drive pieces down and unscrew the five screws holding the 2000
case to the computer.  Unscrew and remove the plate that the internal
floppy drive is sitting on (you may need to remove the cards you have
in the 2000 to be able to reach the screws).  If you have a 3.5 inch
hard drive in the second drive bay, it will have to be moved into the
5.25 inch drive bay or on the hard drive controller card if it has
space for the drive.

Hold the drive place drive side up and insert a screw in the
appropriate screw hole (use the Commodore drive as a reference if
necessary).  Screw on four nuts, leaving room for the screw to be
screwed into the drive.  Do this for each screw hole (four in all).
The nuts are to raise the drive off the drive plate high enough to
reach the drive bay hole.  When all four screws are in, put the drive
on top, aligning it and the screws.  Screw each screw in gently but
firmly.  When finished, pull on the drive gently to make sure that each
screw in is securely.  The drive should be at approximately the same
level as the Commodore drive.  Orient yourself so that you are facing
the back of the drives.  On the back of the Commodore drives, you'll
see a small jumper on two pins (see diagram #1).  You need to move the
jumper over so that it is covering the two left pins (the center pin is
jumpered in both configurations).

Once you've moved the jumper over, you'll need to connect the cables.
While still facing the back of the drive, plug the four wire power
cable into the C-A drive so that, left to right, the wires are colored
orange, blue, blue, yellow.  Take the ribbon cable out of the Commodore
drive and plug it into the C-A drive (colored edge to right, see
diagram 2).  This is the end of the cable with the twist in it.  Plug
the other connector into the Commodore drive, colored edge to left (see
diagram 1).

You need to put a jumper on a couple of pins in order for the Amiga to
recognize both drives.  Look for the part number in your computer (in
should be towards the back).  If it's #312723, the jumper is under the
drive cable on the motherboard (see diagram #3).  If the part number is
#380705-01, the jumper is under the whole drive/power supply assembly,
between two sets of three chips (see diagram #4).  Unscrew the
drive/power supply assembly (six screws), jumper the pins, and put the
assembly back into place.  If you can't find the jumper, you can get
more information from the place I got mine:  the Commodore Amiga 2010
installation guide.

Now, before you put the computer back together, you'll need to test it
to make sure it's working.  Put the drive plate back into place, and
make sure any autobooting hard drive is disconnected.  Plug in the
computer and monitor, and then turn on the computer.  Insert a
Workbench disk.  As soon as the bootup starts, press CTRL-D repeatedly
until you break out of the startup-sequence.  Put a formatted,
unprotected disk into the Commodore drive.  Type at the CLI "info
df1:".  You should get the standard information about the disk,
including a READ/WRITE status.  Take out the disk, write-protect it,
and reinsert it.  Type "info df1:" again.  You should get a READ ONLY
status.  Next try reading from and writing to the disk (be sure to
unprotect it first).  Try the same things with the C-A drive.  If the
testing procedure above doesn't go as described, turn off the computer
and check all the connections.  If it still doesn't work, you should
consult a dealer as you may have damaged a component in your computer.

Assuming everything went fine, you can assume you have two working
internal drives!  Screw the drive plate back in firmly and put any
cards back into the computer.  Take the second drive bay face plate out
of the case.  Put the cover back on carefully and screw it on.  The
Commodore drive is DF0: and the California-Access drive is DF1:.
Enjoy!

------cut here--------------cut here----------the end-------------
P.S.  Don't worry about the fifteen hours.  I slept for nine of them :-).

--
Dave "Welcome to the Nineties.  Now go home." Schreiber
at davids@slugmail.ucsc.edu (prefered) or davids@ucscb.ucsc.edu

dcr3567@ultb.isc.rit.edu (D.C. Richardson) (02/05/90)

In article <465@enuxha.eas.asu.edu> gomez@enuxha.eas.asu.edu (Jose L. Gomez-Rubio) writes:
>Is it possible to convert an external California Access 880 Disk Drive
>into an Amiga 2000?  Thanks for the info.
>--
>gomez@enuxha.eas.asu.edu

Wow!  If you find out how to do this, let me know!  I'd love to get a
2000 for $199 list! ;-)

(Couldn't resist)

Daniel Richardson
Up In Snow Country