[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Getting SCSI Drives fixed

cmcmanis@stpeter.Sun.COM (Chuck McManis) (02/08/90)

In article <1631@geocub.greco-prog.fr> (Franklin Anthes) writes:

> My A500 HD (a ST 157 N) kicked the bucket. The drive was still
>under warranty, but since the manufacturer (Phoenix technology)
>went under, I'm stuck!

You aren't exactly stuck, however being that you live in France this
will complicate matters a bit.

Most (all?) manufacturers of SCSI drives have a refurbishment/replacement
policy for their drives. Often the drive itself carries a 1yr warranty
that can be verified from the serial number on the drive. The manufacturer
knows when they sold it to the distributor, of course this is a lot earlier
than when you bought it from the OEM but sometimes you are still ok.

Using the drive information located on a small ID plate on the drive you
can call the manufacturer, in this case Seagate in Scotts Valley Calif,
and get a "RMA" (Return Merchandise Authorization) number. To fix the
drive there is either a single flat fee (like 150$US) or two fees, one
if they can just replace the PC board, and a larger one if they have to
open up the drive in their clean room and replace the heads.

In all cases the "fix" cost is less than the new price of a similar drive
and you get essentially a new drive with a new 90 day warranty.

To answer your specific questions :
	Most SCSI drives are electrically interchangeable (with the
caveat that bigger drives may require a bigger power supply.) If the
software doesn't *assume* the type of drive you are using ,like the
A590 software, then you can just drop in a quantum and go on about your
business. Generally the only SCSI drives that *arent* compatible will
be ones that use differential drivers (as opposed to the more common
single ended drivers). If your software can hack it is unknowable
without seeing it first hand.

--Chuck McManis
uucp: {anywhere}!sun!cmcmanis   BIX: cmcmanis  ARPAnet: cmcmanis@Eng.Sun.COM
"If it didn't have bones in it, it wouldn't be crunchy now would it?!"