[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] speedup kit for XT bridgeboard?

liberato@drivax.UUCP (Jimmy Liberato) (02/08/90)

silver@cup.portal.com (Jim B Howard) writes:

>I'm planning to get the A2000 educational discount setup, but I'm
>worried about the XT bridgeboard.  I heard it is _really_ slow,
>or at least as slow as a 4.77mhz machine.    Are there any
>speedup kits for this thing like there are for the IBM's?  Such
>as a 10 mhz version of the 8088?   Or is it impossible to speed
>it up?

By far the best solution is Sota's 386si accelerator card with a
16mHz 80386sx.  You can get them from PC Connection for less than
$400 now.  There is also a 16-bit memory card/bios extension which was
hastily released last month while still in beta state.  When it
becomes stable, some interesting possibilities will come up such
as protected mode operation.  Of course while having something like
OS/2 on the Bridgeboard will be trivial to most, it would be interesting
to see some development in the interproccessor realm.  Wasn't this
part of the promise of the Janus concept in the first place?

--
Jimmy Liberato   ...!amdahl!drivax!liberato