[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Temp giving up on NewTek

bms@world.std.com (Brian Sales) (02/06/90)

So after having continued faith in the wake of evidence to the contrary, I
have kept faith that NewTek would bring forth the Video Toaster before the end
of this school year.  I have called over the past few months and been kind and
curtous to the people there, despite others' growing resentment.  I have never
blamed NewTek for the delays (I'm sure they're as eager to get the Toaster out
as we are to get out greedy hands on it), but I am starting to look for
temporary alternatives.

I called NewTek today thoroughly expecting that the Toaster would be shipping
in a few weeks as they suggested in my last call, but, alas, all they could
tell me was that it would be out in "The Spring."  So I pose this question to
all of you...

Has anyone used or seen the Mimetics Frame Buffer.  I would be interested to
hear of any experiences that people have had with it, especially with
transfering ray traced pictures to it.  I'm not sure it is shipping yet
either, but I seen ads for it, so it seems quite likley.

Thanks in advance!!!!

					Brian Sales
					bms@world.std.com

P.S. I hope the NewTekkers get the Toaster out.  It still looks great amd when
it comes out I plan to upgrade if I actually have purchaced the Frame Buffer.

Subject: Temp giving up on NewTek
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.hardware

[...]

DDRAKE@AUVM.BITNET (02/06/90)

Last summer (some time) the Computer Chronicles had one show devoted to the
amy and one of the products demonstrated was the vid toaster.  I was fairly
impressed with what it could do, but its output could not be considered up
tp professional standards.  While still objects looked O.K. moving ones would
get really pixelated.  (and NO, the pixelation effect was NOT on).  I could
not figure out the market it was for.  Its too expensive for the casual user
and not up to par for the professional.
                                                      dan.
ddrake@auvm.bitnet

In article <90037.101446DDRAKE@AUVM.BITNET> DDRAKE@AUVM.BITNET writes:
>Last summer (some time) the Computer Chronicles had one show devoted to the
>amy and one of the products demonstrated was the vid toaster.  I was fairly
>impressed with what it could do, but its output could not be considered up
>tp professional standards.  While still objects looked O.K. moving ones would
>get really pixelated.  (and NO, the pixelation effect was NOT on).  I could
>not figure out the market it was for.  Its too expensive for the casual user
>and not up to par for the professional.
>                                                      dan.

	Dan, as you say that was last summer. It will be probably
about 9 months since that show aired that they release the toaster. I
imagine that "professional video" is something they've been working
on. I also remember the Video Toaster from AmiExpo NYC last Spring and
I don't remember seeing pixelations, but then again there were all
those rumors about a VCR!
	-- Ethan

R38@psuvm.psu.edu (Marc Rifkin) (02/08/90)

The frame buffer is excellent, it only lack every so slightly in video
output quality.
Before you plunk down yer bucks, look for the V-Machine by Digital
Creations!

Marc Rifkin R38@psuvm

ln63wkp@sdcc4.ucsd.edu (Viet Ho) (02/08/90)

In article <90038.222150R38@PSUVM.BITNET> R38@psuvm.psu.edu (Marc Rifkin) writes:
>The frame buffer is excellent, it only lack every so slightly in video
>output quality.
>Before you plunk down yer bucks, look for the V-Machine by Digital
>Creations!

  Yes, the V-Machine I hear will kick *ss.  It's suppose let you
paint in 16 million colors and do realtime animations for starters.
RGB-quality output (not RS170A composite).  Any real info on
availibility/price/features????

                                            -Viet

wayneck@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM (Wayne C Knapp) (02/10/90)

In article <7108@sdcc6.ucsd.edu>, ln63wkp@sdcc4.ucsd.edu (Viet Ho) writes:
> In article <90038.222150R38@PSUVM.BITNET> R38@psuvm.psu.edu (Marc Rifkin) writes:
> >The frame buffer is excellent, it only lack every so slightly in video
> >output quality.
> >Before you plunk down yer bucks, look for the V-Machine by Digital
> >Creations!
> >
>   Yes, the V-Machine I hear will kick *ss.  It's suppose let you
> paint in 16 million colors and do realtime animations for starters.
> RGB-quality output (not RS170A composite).  Any real info on
> availibility/price/features????
>                                             -Viet

Well I wouldn't put the money down yet.  In a around about way I've been
hearing that Digital Creations is letting the V-machine fade away like
vapor.  Maybe that is what the name means VAPOR-machine?

So maybe it will come, has anyone asked Digital Creations for a shipping
date?  At least if is comes out with RGB output that will make it a LOT
better than the Memetics or Impluse poor video output frame buffers. It
is a lot easier to get good video with a good RGB to video encoder than
it is to get good video from a poor video signal.

                                               Wayne Knapp