[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Memory Expansion for the A2091 HD Controller?

sutherla@qtp.ufl.edu (scott sutherland) (02/03/90)

*****								  *****
***** OOPS!  I ACCIDENTLY POSTED THIS TO COMP.SYS.AMIGA AND IT IS *****
***** DEFINITELY A HARDWARE QUESTION.  PLEASE EXCUSE MY MISTAKE.  *****
***** I HAVE DECIDED TO POST IT HERE IN THE HOPE THAT I CAN GET   *****
***** SOME HELP.						  *****
*****								  *****

	I realize that this has been covered recently in this newsgroup,
but at the time I was not paying attention.  Since the recent
announcement that current Amiga owners can take advantage of the
educational discount on expansion items until 3/31/90, I have made
the decision to finally get a hard disk and some expansion ram.
(I'll use my IRS tax refund.  ;^))  The ideal solution seems to be
the new A2091 HD controller with the 40 Mb drive on it.  I've read
only good things about this combo on the net recently.  I understand
that you can put 2 Mb of ram on this card.  Recent postings have discussed
the types of ram you can use, but since I didn't think I was going to
purchase the A2091, I just hit 'n' on those articles.  NOW I AM INTERESTED!!

	Could someone PLEASE EMAIL to me the following:

	1) What do I need to know about the ram chips needed for the board?
	   Speed, manufacturer, model numbers, etc.  I've never bought ram
	   before so I do not understand all the "parameters" involved.

	2) What should I expect to pay, at today's prices, for 2 Mb of
	   this memory?  Can anyone point me to a reputable dealer with
	   good chips that are inexpensive?  Is Fry's Electronics,
	   mentioned frequently on the net, a good option?

	3) What is involved in installing these on the board?  I assume I
	   need a dealer to do this so I don't fry the chips, correct?
	   If I can get specifics on how to do this and what precautions
	   need to be taken, I may be able to get the electronics shop
	   in our chemistry department to help me do it myself.

	4) Any general comments about memory expansion, HD's (especially
	   w.r.t. FFS, Autobooting, Backups, etc.) would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott Sutherland
sutherla@qtp.ufl.edu

bear@bu-pub.bu.edu (Blair M. Burtan) (02/06/90)

>> 	1) What do I need to know about the ram chips needed for the board?
>> 	   Speed, manufacturer, model numbers, etc.  I've never bought ram
>> 	   before so I do not understand all the "parameters" involved.

The chips are 256k x 4 CMOS DRAMs.  The manual says 120 nanoseconds is
fast enough.  Note that CMOS is required.  NMOS will kill the board.

>> 	2) What should I expect to pay, at today's prices, for 2 Mb of
>> 	   this memory?  Can anyone point me to a reputable dealer with
>> 	   good chips that are inexpensive?  Is Fry's Electronics,
>> 	   mentioned frequently on the net, a good option?

Memory prices are dropping almost daily.  You need 32 chips.  You should
be able to get away for less than $250-$300 easy.

>> 	3) What is involved in installing these on the board?  I assume I
>> 	   need a dealer to do this so I don't fry the chips, correct?
>> 	   If I can get specifics on how to do this and what precautions
>> 	   need to be taken, I may be able to get the electronics shop
>> 	   in our chemistry department to help me do it myself.

Get yourself one of those grounding wristbands.  I looked at my board
yesterday and the memory is socketed.  There are some jumpers that
you have to set.  Check your manual.

--
--------------------------- Signature Version 1.0 ---------------------------
| bear@bu-pub.bu.edu                                  enge05c@buacca.bu.edu |

jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu (John 'Vlad' Adams) (02/12/90)

In article <BEAR.90Feb6092446@bass.bu.edu> bear@bu-pub.bu.edu (Blair M. Burtan) writes:
>The chips are 256k x 4 CMOS DRAMs.  The manual says 120 nanoseconds is
>fast enough.  Note that CMOS is required.  NMOS will kill the board.
>Memory prices are dropping almost daily.  You need 32 chips.  You should
>be able to get away for less than $250-$300 easy.

You only need 16 chips.  256k by 4 times 16 == 2 megs.  One could
populate the board for somewhere around $140 to $192.
--
John  M.  Adams    --*--    Professional Student on the six-year plan!     //
Internet:  jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu   -or-   vladimir@maple.circa.ufl.edu \\ //