[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Jasmine harddrive on my amiga

GEHRI@cc.usu.edu (Gehri Grimaud) (02/09/90)

I borrowed a Jasmine 40M harddrive (usually goes on a Mac.)  to plug into my
Amy.  But like all Mac-n-trash documentation the only technical info is which
icon to click.  I opened up the Jasmine box and found a Quantum Prodirve 40S.
Does anyone know the track/sector info for one of these babys?

Please e-mail me the info...
Thanks in advance

Gehri Grimaud                           gehri@cc.usu.edu
Utah State University                   gehri@usu.bitnet
Office of Computer Services             tel. (801) 750-2392
UMC 3700
Logan, Utah  84322

  "I think that *ALL* people should be non-conformists."

GEHRI@cc.usu.edu (Gehri Grimaud) (02/12/90)

In article <18196@cc.usu.edu>, GEHRI@cc.usu.edu (Gehri Grimaud) writes:
> I borrowed a Jasmine 40M harddrive (usually goes on a Mac.)  to plug into my
> Amy.  But like all Mac-n-trash documentation the only technical info is which
> icon to click.  I opened up the Jasmine box and found a Quantum Prodirve 40S.
> Does anyone know the track/sector info for one of these babys?

Michael Sharpe sent me this:
} From: ir301%sdcc6@ucsd.edu
} Subject: Quantum 40
}
} I just got one myself and am about to install it. The figures I got were
} Surfaces=3
} BlocksPerTrack=31
} HighCyl=879
} which gives a total of 3 X 31 X 879 = 81747 sectors. As SCSI cares only about
} the total number of sectors and ignores other parameters, this would seem to
} be about right. If other information you get appears radically different,
} I'd appreciate a message.

The computer repair shop on campus had a book on harddisks.  The information
which I used (which worked) came from the book.  Here are the three listings
it has for Quantun SCSI drives.

Model					Write	    Landing
Number	Cylinders	Heads	Sectors	Precomp	    Zone	Capacity
Q520	512		4	35	256	    512		37M
Q530	512		6	35	256	    512		55M
Q540	512		8	35	256	    512		73M

I used the Q520 entry.  It gave me 35 Meg formated on the Amiga.