[net.space] oh, where, oh, where have those little stars gone?

space@mit-mc (03/15/85)

From: <bang!crash!bwebster@Nosc>

Terry (et alis) -
  My search has come down to the following points:
  (1)  I already have a list of the 100 nearest stars, from Allen's
_Astrophysical Quantities_ (3rd ed., Athlone Press, 1973).  But,
(as Jacqueline Suzanne might say) "one hundred stars aren't enough!".
  You see, I started the program with a list of nearly 200 stars, gleaned
from the map of UNIVERSE, an out-of-print SF role-playing game.  Going
from 200 to 100 stars was something of a visual let-down; I thought it
would be simple to up the count.  Foolish me.
  (2)  The book I want to get my hands on is _Catalog of Nearby Stars_ [sur-
prise!] by Wilhelm Gliese (Verlag, 1969).  Repeated trips to the
libraries and astronomy departments at SDSU and UCSD have failed to
turn up said book.  I may just call up Verlag and order the book for
myself.  I know a copy exists at the HAO in Boulder (thanx to a call
from Dick Munro, who gave me the publisher info also).  I am beginning
to wonder if that's the only copy in existence.
  (3)  Many, many thanks for the great response from so many of you out in
NetLand.  Gosh, it's nice to know that resources like this exist, and
that so many of you are willing to help out.
  (4)  If you're interested in getting a copy of the program, please be
patient.  I have it running on the Macintosh (using MacAdvantage);
I hope to have it running on the IBM PC (using Turbo Pascal) soon.
I may even convert it over to the Apple II, but no promises.  If you
are interested in a copy, please send me a message to my net address
below, indicating what machine (and, where applicable, language) you're
working with.  The article will be out in the July issue of BYTE; it
won't have a complete program listing, but it will explain the formulae
and techniques used.
						..bruce..
					Bruce Webster/BYTE Magazine
					bang!crash!bwebster@nosc
					{ihnp4 | sdcsvax!bang}!crash!bwebster
					619/286-7576 [voice] 286-7838 [data]

space@mit-mc (03/20/85)

From: speegle@ut-ngp.ARPA (Charles R. Speegle)

reliable sources(don't know exactly which ones) that has a 50 light year
diameter map centered on earth. It has over 1000 stars.  In case you're
wondering it was for a game.  It looks quite nice.  If anyone is interested
contact me.
		Charles R. Speegle
	        (512-926-0420)
p.s. 1st time to reply if I fail don't flame me contact me personally.

space@mit-mc (03/22/85)

From: speegle@ut-ngp.ARPA (Charles R. Speegle)

[a repost since the line eater struck!]

	A friend of mine worked several months on a star map, taking
as sources books from the UT astro. library(exactly which I don't know)
It is centered on earth and the diameter is 50 lt. years.  It is printed
on hex paper and it was for a game.  As I wrote before it looks nice,
contact me if interested.
	Charles R. Speegle
	(512-926-0420)

space@mit-mc (03/24/85)

From: <hao!hplabs!ames!al@seismo.ARPA>

I'd love a copy for the Mac.

Al Globus
127 Cayuga
Santa Cruz, CA. 95062
(408) 425-7038

I don't mind sending a few bucks if you indicate an amount.

space@mit-mc (03/29/85)

From: hao!hplabs!sdcrdcf!alan@seismo.ARPA (Alan Algustyniak)

Hi,

	I am interested in getting a copy of your program and start list.
I have a Tandy 2000 (IBM PC Clone).  I'd like to have a copy which runs
on the IBM PC (I can do any necessary converting myself).  Sending it to
me via net-mail is fine.  Thanks for the offer!

	sdcrdcf!alan     (Al Algustyniak)

petersen@ucbvax.ARPA (David A. Petersen) (03/30/85)

>	sdcrdcf!alan     (Al Algustyniak)

Why did this message get sent five times?

atst@ssc-vax.UUCP (Tom Pace) (04/02/85)

> 	sdcrdcf!alan     (Al Algustyniak)

15 copies of this message arrived at this site on 4/1/85.  Will someone
please fix!

jackh@zehntel.UUCP (jack hagerty) (04/03/85)

> >	sdcrdcf!alan     (Al Algustyniak)
>
> Why did this message get sent five times?

Five times? I got it 65 times! (not an exaggeration)

--
                    Jack Hagerty, Zehntel Automation Systems
                          ...!ihnp4!zehntel!jackh

don@umd5.UUCP (04/03/85)

> From: hao!hplabs!sdcrdcf!alan@seismo.ARPA (Alan Algustyniak)
> 	I am interested in getting a copy of your program and start list.
> 	sdcrdcf!alan     (Al Algustyniak)

[]
This is a flame of sorts ... I would post it in net.flame, but I really
think that something is wrong here. THIS SITE HAS RECEIVED A TOTAL OF ABOUT
35 REPEATS OF THE ABOVE POSTING !! We received 20 in one day ! Enough is
enough. Please someone tell us all -- is there some terrible problem here,
or is Alan posting the message over and over ??

"Space, the final frontier .." Final, hell! It's the frontier of frontiers !!
-==- IDIC -==-                                           (Thanks Bob!)

SPOKEN: Chris Sylvain
  ARPA: don@umd5.ARPA
BITNET: don%umd5@umd2
 CSNET: don@umd5
  UUCP: {seismo, rlgvax, allegra, brl-bmd, nrl-css}!umcp-cs!cvl!umd5!don