[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] A1000 PAL grounding vs. new PALs

ranjit@grad2.cis.upenn.edu (Ranjit Bhatnagar) (02/15/90)

In article <76442@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> Jeff Martens <martens@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:

>I asked my local Amiga dealer whether they'd perform the PAL grounding
>mod for me (I don't get near anything I care about with a hot
>soldering iron), and the response was a claim that what I really want
>is news PALs (which they'd gladly supply and install).  Is there any
>advantage to installing new PALs rather than improving the ground on
>the old ones?  With new PALs, would I still need the PAL grounding mod
>performed?

Answer: It Depends.

On my (very early) 1000, grounding the PALs wasn't enough.  Replacing
them and grounding them did the job.  Since grounding the PALs is quick
and easy (shouldn't take a tech more than 10 minutes), try that first.
If it clears up your problems, that's enough.  (If you don't have any
problems, don't bother.)

	- ranjit

"Trespassers w"   ranjit@eniac.seas.upenn.edu	mailrus!eecae!netnews!eniac!...
			Forward in all directions!