[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] C64 monitor on A1000?

arxt@tank.uchicago.edu (patrick palmer) (02/10/90)

Yesterday, I read the message from someone who warned about ignoring
1084 snapping and popping lest one wait until the high voltage power
supply blew.  About 2 messages later my 1084 (which snapped and popped
for about a year) went black.

But, this posting is not about hexes on computers.  I have been
rearranging my various components while my 1084 is being repaired.  I
moved a 1080 monitor from an A1000 to my A2000, and now need one for
the A1000.  I have a monitor for a C64, and I think it should be
possible to use this - somehow.  The problem is that the C64 monitor
is a 1702 with a separated chroma-luma-audio input.  I have various
cables and adaptors lying around, and an RGB to composite (type F
connector out) adaptor.  But, how do I get an A1000 to separated
chroma-luma-audio?  Can I buy some parts at RadioShack and build
something to do this?  The audio is sort of obvious, but how do you go
from either RGB or composite to chroma-luma?

I would be grateful for any suggestions, especially ones that involve no cost.

Pat Palmer (email: reply  or  ppalmer@oddjob.uchicago.edu)

chymes@fribourg.csmil.umich.edu (Charles Hymes) (02/12/90)

------------
I currently have a Chroma-Lumina monitior hooked up to my A1000. To get the best
preformance you should get an adapter that convert from RGB analog to Chroma-
Lumina. You can get one of these grom C-LTD for around 30 bucks. The results
are OK, but not as good as a 1084. Also, you can use the video out port to go
directly into the video-in port on the monitor. This is free, but the quality
leaves much to be desired. Similarly, you can try to split the multiplexed video
signal into chroma-lumina (this should be a fairly common circut) but the results
will surely be too poor for most any use (color-bleeding, edge fade-out,smudgy,
 etc) The Parts in the C-LTD RGB to Chroma-Lumina look very simple, but I have no
 idea how to make one myself. But now that I think about it, I will look at the
 parts, and tell you what they are. (If I can)

Charlweed Hymerfan, The Dude

> [ question about how to get Amiga 1000 to work with 1702 monitor]

Forget the Chroma/Luminance junk. The 1702 should have a video input
jack on the front. Just run a cable from your Amiga 1000 video out to the
1702 video input.

--
John Sparks  | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 1200bps. Accessable via Starlink (Louisville KY)
sparks@corpane.UUCP <><><><><><><><><><><> D.I.S.K. ph:502/968-5401 thru -5406

arxt@tank.uchicago.edu (patrick palmer) (02/14/90)

In article <1429@corpane.UUCP> sparks@corpane.UUCP (John Sparks) writes:

>> [ question about how to get Amiga 1000 to work with 1702 monitor]
>
>Forget the Chroma/Luminance junk. The 1702 should have a video input
>jack on the front. Just run a cable from your Amiga 1000 video out to the
>1702 video input.
That is true, but the screen is really too blurry to work with for any
length of time.  Hans' suggestion (A1000 composite video into luma input
of 1702 monitor) actually works quite well.  Of course, you cannot expect
to get even halfway decent color this way, but the screen is sharp enough
to be useful for text editing, etc.

Pat Palmer (email: reply or ppalmer@oddjob.uchicago.edu)

fnf@estinc.UUCP (Fred Fish) (02/16/90)

In article <7562@tank.uchicago.edu> arxt@tank.uchicago.edu (patrick  palmer) writes:

>Yesterday, I read the message from someone who warned about ignoring
>1084 snapping and popping lest one wait until the high voltage power
>supply blew.  About 2 messages later my 1084 (which snapped and popped
>for about a year) went black.

Just as another data point in this discussion, I have a 1080 monitor which
has snapped and popped since 1985, despite repeated cleanings and some
applications of corona dope.  I really do wish C-A would officially recognize
this problem as a design defect, come up with a fix, and issue a recall for
anyone with the problem to take the monitor to an authorized repair center
and get the silly thing fixed.  In my case, the problem only comes up for
a few months per year, on days when there are noticable static electricity
problems with other machines (when the monitor starts popping I know to
ground myself before inserting a cartridge drive in the Bell Tech machine
or the static discharge will cause the system to freeze up).

-Fred
--
# Fred Fish, 1835 E. Belmont Drive, Tempe, AZ 85284,  USA
# 1-602-491-0048           asuvax!{nud,mcdphx}!estinc!fnf