[net.space] effect of SDI

space@mit-mc (03/29/85)

From: redford%doctor.DEC@decwrl.ARPA  (John Redford)

I don't want to get into the debate over the pros and cons of Star Wars,
because I think that everyone on this list is already familiar with them.
Personally I think that SDI is a terrible idea.  It's a tribute to the power
of the Presidency that anyone takes it seriously at all.
But instead of getting into that argument,
I would like to talk about the effect of SDI on space development.
L5 and Spacepac may already have formulated a position on SDI, but what should
that position be?  All of us want to see further scientific and commercial
activity in space.  The question is, will this vast increase in
military space activity hinder or aid our real goals?

Let me provide one example in favor of military involvement and one against,
and then throw the argument open.  The US has an extensive research program
under way in Antarctica.  The research is expensive because of the remote
and hostile environment.  The government pays for it partly out of a love
of basic research, but more out of a desire to keep a foothold on what might
be a valuable continent.  The bases down there are supplied and built by the
military.  The US Air Force, at considerable risk to its pilots and planes,
is what makes science possible in Antarctica.  No university or university
consortium could afford the special modifications that planes in Antarctica
need, or get pilots with the special training.

An example against the military is the Navstar or GPSS global navigation system.
This is a satellite system that permits a foot soldier to find his position
within ten meters anywhere in the world.  The military originally intended it
for civilian use as well, but when they discovered just how good it would be,
they changed the system so that only those with passwords could get its full
accuracy.  From their point of view this action was entirely justified; they
didn't want enemy soldiers to buy a $200 box from Magnavox and get the same
benefits that our own people had.  The result, though, is that something that
could be of enormous benefit to the American public has been denied to them.
Civilian needs gave way before military ones.

Now, what will SDI bring?  Will its research help civilian efforts for large
boosters and manned space stations?  Or will civilian research be restricted
because of its SDI implications?  Will we see another space shuttle screw-up,
where the shuttle was enlarged and therefore delayed by military
requirements?  What do you folks think?

John Redford
DEC-Hudson

wdr@faron.UUCP (William D. Ricker) (04/02/85)

>From: redford%doctor.DEC@decwrl.ARPA  (John Redford)

>Let me provide one example in favor of military involvement and one against,
>and then throw the argument open.
 . . .

 ***** ** ** ******** *******
>Civilian needs gave way before military ones.

John,

At least they're making a lower accuracy available to the public.  That
is revolutionarily open-minded for the military to begin with.
KAL-007 could have benefited from the
civilian-grade NAVSTAR receiver (assuming they weren't there
intentionally...).  I don't think a $200 receiver tied to a $1000
computer which translates Lat-Lon into street addresses qualifies as
"enormous benefit".  Could you explain to me why the American Public
needs military accuracy?

I wouldn't use 10m [your figure] GPS for landing an air-craft if I had
it.  I'm not sure what I'd use that granularity for; it won't tell me
which side of the street I'm on, or which way to the nearest foxhole,
but is much finer grain than I need to know which way is Cambridge, and
which sector of the map I'm on.  (If the map has features smaller than
10m, I'd ***** well better be able to figure out which one I'm on.)

In short, I don't see how limiting civilian use of GPS to lower resolution
(does anyone have figures for both modes they can publish?) has
cut off any potential uses THAT SERIOUSLY AFFECT THE PUBLIC GOOD.
I will agree, hypothetically, that to deny all GPS access would have
been very dog-in-the-manger, but they compromised.

Near as I can tell, we don't even HEAR about the technologies they're
really depriving us of.
--

  William Ricker
  wdr@faron.UUCP						(UUCP)

Opinions are my own and not necessarily anyone elses.  Likewise the "facts".

karn@petrus.UUCP (04/05/85)

Regarding GPS, I read recently that a clever new civilian use has been
found that can give centimeter accuracy to surveying measurements.
The scheme does Very Long Baseline Interferometry (VLBI) using the
GPS satellites.  The receivers treat the satellites as simply more powerful
noise sources than the galactic sources normally used for VLBI, and therefore
don't need to know the actual code sequences.

The major limitations to accuracy under this scheme is atmospheric
refraction, and uncertainty in the precise orbits of the satellites.

Phil