[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Amiga 3000 debuts in Paris

ln63wkp@sdcc4.ucsd.edu (Viet Ho) (02/16/90)

                     A3000 DEBUTS IN PARIS!!!!!!!!!

             * 68030 16 or 25Mhz on the Motherboard (asynchronous)!
             * 32 bit bus for memory and I/O (backward compatible with ZorroII)
             * 50 Mb hard drive (don't know if SCSI)
             * 2 megs Chip Ram!
             * Flicker-Fixer included
             * 1.4 ECS giving virtual screen 1280 x 485 pixels w/wo interlace.
             * Smaller nicer case with PC slots and 4 Amiga expansion slots.
             * Power switch on front, keyboard connector on side.
             * Price unknown :-( !

The BBS I got this from is JDR-BBS located in San Jose, Ca (408) 559-0253

  Hey how come I don't hear anyone on Usenet mention aboout this
in the past two days?   This has got to be the biggest news since
CBM put out the A2000 (nothing was as big as the A1000's debut in
NY)... So where are all U usenetters in Paris?   What's the deal on
the 3000?   Where's 1.4 Kickstart?  I thought they're going to hold
until 1.4 is ready to ship.  Isn't the 3000  suppose to be a Unix
box?

whine...whine...whine....

                                       -Viet
                                        vho@ucsde.edu

bscott@pikes.Colorado.EDU (Ben M Scott) (02/16/90)

In article <7460@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> ln63wkp@sdcc4.ucsd.edu (Viet Ho) writes:
>                     A3000 DEBUTS IN PARIS!!!!!!!!!
>  Hey how come I don't hear anyone on Usenet mention aboout this
>in the past two days?   This has got to be the biggest news since

Most likely because it's probably not true... remember the reports (not
merely rumors) that the A3000 was going to be shown at last year's Comdex?
It turned out to be just the 2500/30.  Trust me, the A-3000 is still a ways
off.  I know this because I know that 1.4 is still a ways off and the 3000
is going to need at LEAST 1.4 OS to do anything fancy.

Besides, it's a little suspicious when they said "Flicker Fixer included";
why would Commodore buy a product from a 3rd party that is already made
obsolete by the new Denise?

Have patience.  Good things come to those who wait.

.                              <<<<Infinite K>>>>

barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) (02/16/90)

In article <7460@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> ln63wkp@sdcc4.ucsd.edu (Viet Ho) writes:
>                     A3000 DEBUTS IN PARIS!!!!!!!!!
>  Hey how come I don't hear anyone on Usenet mention aboout this...

	Well... maybe because it isn't true...?  I don't know, but it
sounds fishy to me.

                                                        Dan

 //////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
| Dan Barrett, Department of Computer Science      Johns Hopkins University |
| INTERNET:   barrett@cs.jhu.edu           |                                |
| COMPUSERVE: >internet:barrett@cs.jhu.edu | UUCP:   barrett@jhunix.UUCP    |
 \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\/////////////////////////////////////

valentin@cbmvax.commodore.com (Valentin Pepelea) (02/17/90)

In article <7460@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> ln63wkp@sdcc4.ucsd.edu (Viet Ho) writes:

>  Hey how come I don't hear anyone on Usenet mention aboout this
>in the past two days?   This has got to be the biggest news since
>CBM put out the A2000.

I looks like the Usenet community has finally achieved a certain level of
maturity, to the point that rumors are taken for what they are. We have all
been witnesses to many postings on this newsgroup about the A3000 since about
this time last year. And even earlier. The excitement has been subdued by
maturity, except for a few whiners who insist on doing their thing.

>whine...whine...whine....

That's what I mean.  :-)

Valentin
--
The Goddess of democracy? "The tyrants     Name:    Valentin Pepelea
may distroy a statue,  but they cannot     Phone:   (215) 431-9327

cmcmanis@stpeter.Sun.COM (Chuck McManis) (02/17/90)

In article <7460@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> ln63wkp@sdcc4.ucsd.edu (Viet Ho) writes:
>                     A3000 DEBUTS IN PARIS!!!!!!!!!
>  Hey how come I don't hear anyone on Usenet mention aboout this
>in the past two days?

Generally because all of the information given out at the Paris
developers conference was supposedly under NonDisclosure, meaning
that CBM could sue you if you talked about this product outside
of the conference.

Now it may seem like a great service to tell the world about some
fancy new machine that CBM is working on, however what no one knows
is A) How much Commodore can build it for, and hence what to sell
it for, and B) When all the things that need doing like manuals,
FCC certification, testing, ROM fixes, etc will be done.

So that means that we don't know when this fancy machine will be
out or what it will cost.

So what if some naive user comes out and says "Well I would buy an
Amiga but I'll wait for the 3000." WHAT IF IT NEVER COMES OUT!?
That is one less Amiga owner in the world, and that hurts everybody.
There were no product announcements from Commodore to the world at
DevCon, there was just some information being exchanged between the
company and the developers WHO HAVE A NEED TO KNOW. You see the
developers who want to ship product on the box have to start right
now if CBM plans to ship it anytime within the next TWO YEARS.

So the reason you don't here anyone chatting up the 3000 in these
newgroups is because there is no such thing as a 3000. You can't
buy one, neither can I, and neither you nor I can say when some
third party might be able to buy one. That means pining away for
one won't help. The only truthful thing you can say is the
CBM is continuing to move the Amiga family forward and this is
a Good Thing. That, at least, should allay any fears as to the
viability of the company itself.

--Chuck McManis
uucp: {anywhere}!sun!cmcmanis   BIX: cmcmanis  ARPAnet: cmcmanis@Eng.Sun.COM
"If it didn't have bones in it, it wouldn't be crunchy now would it?!"

pselver@ssi3b1.zone1.com (Peter Selverstone) (02/18/90)

In article <3289@pikes.Colorado.EDU> bscott@pikes.Colorado.EDU (Ben M Scott) writes:

>Besides, it's a little suspicious when they said "Flicker Fixer included";
>why would Commodore buy a product from a 3rd party that is already made
>obsolete by the new Denise?

Without commenting in any way upon the speculation regarding confidential
information, I would like to correct your evident misunderstanding of the
capabilities of the enhanced Denise vis a vis flicker fixer.  If anyone
doubts the wisdom of Commodore's newfound concern for confidentality,
they need only consider the confusion about the "non-interlace chips",
touted for two years and still undelivered.

The basic problem of the Amiga display is lack of bandwidth.  In order
to produce a 640 x 480 non-interlace display the enhanced Denise is
limited to four colors from a palette of 64.  Since all of the chip
memory bandwith is required to obtain four colors, performance will
suffer.  A non-interlace workbench screen with performance similar
to the current wb (alternate memory cycles avalable to the CPU)
will be limited to two colors.

Flicker fixer has no effect on performance and supports all display
modes.  It is, and will continue to be, the best approach to high quality
displays for the Amiga 2000/2500.
--
Peter Selverstone ...{mit-eddie,pyramid,datacube}!mirror!ssi3b1!pselver
Spy Pond Systems  pselver@ssi3b1.zone1.com