[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Conner Drives, How well do they perform?

880274d@aucs.uucp (Ralph Doncaster) (02/09/90)

I will be buying a hard drive for my amiga soon and I was looking into
conner, either a 40 or 100 meg 3.5" drive.
They have goods specs, but I was wondering if anyone has some real world
observations.

|Ralph Doncaster        Don't Steal - The Government hates competition.     |
|880274d@AcadiaU.CA     329 CHI, Acadia University, Wolfville, NS B0P 1X0   |
|UUCP: {uunet|watmath|utai}!cs.dal.ca!aucs!880274d  BITNET: 880274d@Acadia  |

stevem@sauron.Columbia.NCR.COM (Steve McClure) (02/09/90)

In article <1990Feb8.215454.17099@aucs.uucp> 880274d@aucs.UUCP (Ralph Doncaster) writes:
>I will be buying a hard drive for my amiga soon and I was looking into
>conner, either a 40 or 100 meg 3.5" drive.
>They have goods specs, but I was wondering if anyone has some real world
>observations.

I have a CP340 on my A500, it performs very nicely.  At NCR we have been
using Conner's in smaller Towers for years with execellent results.  I feel
it is one of the better drives available.

Steve
-----
stevem@Columbia.NCR.COM
The above are my opinions, which NCR doesn't really care about anyway!
CAUSER's Amiga BBS! | 803-796-3127 | 8pm-8am 8n1 | 300/1200/2400

magik@sorinc.UUCP (Darrin A. Hyrup) (02/10/90)

In article <1990Feb8.215454.17099@aucs.uucp> 880274d@aucs.uucp (Ralph Doncaster) writes:
>I will be buying a hard drive for my amiga soon and I was looking into
>conner, either a 40 or 100 meg 3.5" drive.
>They have goods specs, but I was wondering if anyone has some real world
>observations.

Well, I don't know about the larger Conner's but I've had this 40mb Conner
CP340 for over a year now, and it works very well for my uses. Its very
quiet (unlike many HD's out there) and seems pretty quick at 26ms.
Considering that you can pick them up for under $350 in many places, you
can't beat it if you want an inexpensive 40mb 3.5" SCSI drive. Paired with
the Microbotics Hardframe, the CBM A2091, or the CBM A590 they make a great
and moderately priced storage option.

Your milage may vary of course. ;-)

>|Ralph Doncaster        Don't Steal - The Government hates competition.     |

Good luck,

      Darrin Hyrup
--
Darrin A. Hyrup              // AMIGA Enthusiast         rencon!esfenn!dah
magik@sorinc.PacBell.COM   \X/ & Software Developer   pacbell!sorinc!magik

lynn@phx.mcd.mot.com (Lynn D. Newton) (02/13/90)

In article <1990Feb8.215454.17099@aucs.uucp> 880274d@aucs.uucp (Ralph Doncaster) writes:
>I will be buying a hard drive for my amiga soon and I was looking into
>conner, either a 40 or 100 meg 3.5" drive.
>They have goods specs, but I was wondering if anyone has some real world
>observations.

To add to this request ... I am specifically interested in any
information anyone has about Conner's newer 200MB 3 1/2" drive.
I'm inclined to want to get it to put on my 2091 because I need
the size, and it seems to be the largest thing out there, but I
don't know much more about it. Every person I have asked has good
things to say about Conner drives generally, but no one has been
able to give me any information about this one specifically.
Lynn D. Newton            | System Test
Motorola MCD, Tempe, AZ   | (Department of Heuristic Neology)
(602) 437-3739            | "The bug stops here!"
lynn@jazz.phx.mcd.mot.com |

lgreen@crash.cts.com (Lawrence Greenwald) (02/16/90)

In article <LYNN.90Feb13073003@jazz.phx.mcd.mot.com> lynn@phx.mcd.mot.com (Lynn D. Newton) writes:

>In article <1990Feb8.215454.17099@aucs.uucp> 880274d@aucs.uucp (Ralph Doncaster) writes:
>>I will be buying a hard drive for my amiga soon and I was looking into
>>conner, either a 40 or 100 meg 3.5" drive.
>>They have goods specs, but I was wondering if anyone has some real world
>>observations.
>
>To add to this request ... I am specifically interested in any
>information anyone has about Conner's newer 200MB 3 1/2" drive.
>I'm inclined to want to get it to put on my 2091 because I need
>the size, and it seems to be the largest thing out there, but I
>don't know much more about it. Every person I have asked has good
>things to say about Conner drives generally, but no one has been
>able to give me any information about this one specifically.
>--
>Lynn D. Newton            | System Test
>Motorola MCD, Tempe, AZ   | (Department of Heuristic Neology)
>(602) 437-3739            | "The bug stops here!"
>lynn@jazz.phx.mcd.mot.com |

Add me to this list. My 80 meg Quantum just bit the dust and I need a good,
reliable replacement, though 200 megs is more than I *really* need, a 100-meg
drive that fits on a hard card would be perfect!

Speaking of the A2091, how good is it? How's Commodore's installation software
and documentation? I've heard about very fast transfer rates...what are they??

Any other controller/disk combos out there, please chime in! I really need to
know kinda fast!!

Please E-mail to me at {backbone}!crash!pnet01!lgreen

Thanks.  Larry Greenwald

stevem@sauron.Columbia.NCR.COM (Steve McClure) (02/17/90)

In article <1528@crash.cts.com> lgreen@crash.cts.com (Lawrence Greenwald) writes:
[ lots of stuff deleted ]

>Speaking of the A2091, how good is it? How's Commodore's installation software
>and documentation? I've heard about very fast transfer rates...what are they??

I have had my 2091 Conner CP-340 combo for about a week.  I already added
2M RAM.  Dperf2 gives 280K reads and 290K writes for 256K buffer.
Small buffer numbers were not as good as my A500 Supra SCSI, but the top end
is almost double.  The CP-340 has a 29ms ave. seek time.

Steve
-----
Steve.McClure@Columbia.NCR.COM

mks@cbmvax.commodore.com (Michael Sinz - CATS) (02/19/90)

In article <1992@sauron.Columbia.NCR.COM> stevem@sauron.UUCP (Steve McClure) writes:
>In article <1528@crash.cts.com> lgreen@crash.cts.com (Lawrence Greenwald) writes:
>[ lots of stuff deleted ]
>>
>>Speaking of the A2091, how good is it? How's Commodore's installation software
>>and documentation? I've heard about very fast transfer rates...what are they??

I think the software is one of the best (if not the best) hard drive install
programs around.  It also ships with the 590 which is much the same controller
as the 2091.

>I have had my 2091 Conner CP-340 combo for about a week.  I already added
>2M RAM.  Dperf2 gives 280K reads and 290K writes for 256K buffer.
>Small buffer numbers were not as good as my A500 Supra SCSI, but the top end
>is almost double.  The CP-340 has a 29ms ave. seek time.

Gee, in my machine at home, with a Q-80 drive on the 2091 and a 2620 card,
I get DiskSpeed2 results in the 670K/sec area and DiskPerf2 errors out
when doing 256k block reads/writes.  (Fast File System only...)

>Steve

|      /// Michael Sinz -- CATS/Amiga Software Engineer                |
|     ///  PHONE 215-431-9422  UUCP ( uunet | rutgers ) !cbmvax!mks    |
|\\\///          When people are free to do as they please,            |
| \XX/                they usually imitate each other.                 |