[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] A501/GVP Impact A500 incompatibilities?

king@cell.mot.COM (Steven King) (02/21/90)

Has anyone heard of incompatibilities between the GVP Impact A500 memory
expansion and the true-blue (well... :-) Commodore 501 memory/clock expansion
for the 500?  Here's the problem...

I bought the 501 with my system back in June.  No problems.  I bought the
GVP hard drive (the newer one, that lets you add up to 4Meg RAM) a couple
months ago.  No problems.  This week I bought 2Meg of RAM and installed it
in the GVP.  No problems.  For a day, anyway.  The next day I booted (fine)
and tried to load an application.  Guru city!  I cycled power and tried it
again.  Same thing.  Afraid I'd somehow munged the hard drive, I tried doing
other things like opening up directories.  I could get two directories deep
and whammo!  This is a sporadic thing, sometimes I can boot and it works
without a hitch.

Bad SIMMs, right?  I thought so too, but on a hunch I pulled the 501 expansion
out of the system.  No problems!  With the 501 out of the loop I haven't
had any problems booting or running whatever I need.  With the GVP out of
the loop and the 501 back in I also haven't had any problems.

Any guesses as to what's going on here?  Has anyone seen or heard of this
happening before?

--
---------------------------------------------------+---------------------------
If there's a byte of data in the computer but no   | Steve King  (708) 991-8056

robin@sabre.uucp (Robin D. Wilson/1000000) (02/21/90)

In article <1339@grape3.UUCP> king@cell.mot.COM (Steven King) writes:
>Has anyone heard of incompatibilities between the GVP Impact A500 memory
>expansion and the true-blue (well... :-) Commodore 501 memory/clock expansion
>for the 500?  Here's the problem...

I received a different set of jumper instructions for the newer GVP I received
for Christmas.  The dealer (H.T. Electr. in Sunnyvale, CA) provided a peice of
paper with the jumper instructions for the 4meg model as opposed to the 2meg
one.  You might call GVP and check that you have yours right.  (I would give
you mine, but I just moved yesterday and everything is in boxes -- somewhere?)

|The views expressed herein, are the sole responsibility of the typist at hand|
|USNail:                               UUCP:                                  |
|2323 Wells Branch Pkwy., #G107        cs.utexas.edu!romp!ibmchs!auschs\      |
|Austin, TX  78728                     !sabre.austin.ibm.com!robin            |
|Home: (512)251-6889                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^<-MUST BE INCLUDED|