[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Accelerator and Maximum Fast RAM Query

liberato@drivax.UUCP (Jimmy Liberato) (02/22/90)

schur@venera.isi.edu (Sean Schur) writes:

>I also have a 80 MB Quantum hard drive attached to a Hardframe 2000. I have
>also heard that you can attach your hard drive directly to an accelerator
>card. Will things run slower if I keep it hooked to my Hardframe. Should
>I dump that also and have everything run from an accelerator card?

I think you are thinking of the GVP '030 card.  It does have a built-in
controller but it requires special imbedded AT drives (the name of the inter-
face escapes me; IDE, maybe?).  Anyway, the point is that your familiar SCSI
drives, and any other SCSI devices, are useless with it.  Theoretically, the drive
should be faster because of the direct connection to the wider bus but GVP's
current implementation is slightly flawed.  The information I've picked up
from their BBS show they are at least working on it and it should be quite a
performer when stable.  It would hardly be worth scrapping the Hardframe and
Quantum SCSI.  The whole point of the drive interface is as a "freebie".  Their
ads bear this out.  If you were planning to purchase a drive and controller for
the first time then the AT style drive might be a good choice because there is
an '030 on the board too.  I think SCSI is the way to go, though, because of the
expansion possibilities.

--

Jimmy Liberato   ...!amdahl!drivax!liberato