[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Memory for 2091?

jwilliam@esunix.UUCP (Jerry Williams) (02/20/90)

I would like to know more about the 2091. I have heard that you can
add 2Meg of memory to it. I would like to know what the part number
is for the chips. How many are needed, and what speed do they need
to be? I would also like to know about jumpers and incriments. Like
can you just add 1Meg? Also what chips does the 8Up use the one that
uses DIPS? And what incriments can you go in on it. Like 1Meg, 2Meg,
4Meg, 8Meg. Is there a 3Meg? Thanks for any help!

--
Jerry Williams @ Evans & Sutherland    560 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
UUCP Addresses:  {ihnp4,ucbvax,allegra,decvax}!decwrl!esunix!jwilliam

stevem@sauron.Columbia.NCR.COM (Steve McClure) (02/20/90)

In article <1814@esunix.UUCP> jwilliam@esunix.UUCP (Jerry Williams) writes:
>I would like to know more about the 2091. I have heard that you can
>add 2Meg of memory to it. I would like to know what the part number
>is for the chips. How many are needed, and what speed do they need
>to be? I would also like to know about jumpers and incriments. Like
>can you just add 1Meg? Also what chips does the 8Up use the one that
>uses DIPS? And what incriments can you go in on it. Like 1Meg, 2Meg,
>4Meg, 8Meg. Is there a 3Meg? Thanks for any help!

	It is true.  The chips are 256Kx4 configuration 120ns or faster.
You can populate the board for 0K, (the cheapest route), 512K, 1M or 2M.
I just added 2M for $135.  Works like a champ.  The 2091 RamTest program
is rather "neat."  You get a picture of the board while testing is performed.
Overall, I am really impressed with the 2901 software.  IMHO, HDToolBox is
much better than Supra's stuff.  I would like a way to specify interleave,
and buffers in fast RAM.  300K reads/writes are much better than I had, but
I was wondering if that is the best I can get on my 2000.  2500 users see
~700K transfer rates.

Steve
-----
Steve.McClure@Columbia.NCR.COM
The above are my opinions, which NCR doesn't really care about anyway!
CAUSER's Amiga BBS! | 803-796-3127 | 8pm-8am 8n1 | 300/1200/2400

dylan@cs.washington.edu (Dylan McNamee) (02/22/90)

In article <1814@esunix.UUCP> jwilliam@esunix.UUCP (Jerry Williams) writes:
>I would like to know more about the 2091. I have heard that you can
>add 2Meg of memory to it. I would like to know what the part number
...[stuff deleted]

>Jerry Williams @ Evans & Sutherland    560 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108

The chips you need, as I understand it, are 256X4 120ns (or faster)
CMOS dip package chips.  Jumpers for 512K, 1Meg, and 2Megs are allowed.

As an aside, I bought 2 megs of such chips for a great deal from
someone on the net (its all gone now) and my dealer refused to install it,
saying that since he didn't order the chips, he doesn't know if they
are surplus, and thus will void the warranty.  Does anyone know if this
is true, or is he just jerking me around?

dylan mcnamee
dylan@cs.washington.edu