[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] CLTD format question

golson@grapevine.EBay.Sun.COM (Greg Olson) (02/21/90)

I have an amiga 1000 with a CLTD scsi, which have been working fine up to
this point.  Now, I wish to add a new drive to my configuration,
and I'm having some problems.  It's a fujitsu drive, and an adaptec 4000
controller.  I've strapped the adaptec to be scsi unit 3, then loaded up the
CLTD low level formatter (hdformat, I think), and fill in the correct
cylinders, unit #, etc, then hit format.  The drive spins for about 10 minutes,
and I can hear the heads seeking, like normal formatting sounds.  At the
end of 10 minutes, it comes back with "Command parameter error - #20" and
format failed.  They have a list of possible errors, so it's either invalid
command (hex 20) or Record not found (dec 20).  I've checked my parameters
a hundred times, but everything looks OK.  Is there some strange way the
adaptec has to be strapped?  Has anybody run into this before?  Any advice?
Thanks in advance.

	--Greg Olson (golson@sun.com)

scott@wilbur.uucp (Scott Beckstead) (02/22/90)

In article <35302@grapevine.EBay.Sun.COM> golson@grapevine.EBay.Sun.COM (Greg Olson) writes:
>I have an amiga 1000 with a CLTD scsi, which have been working fine up to
>this point.  Now, I wish to add a new drive to my configuration,
>and I'm having some problems.  It's a fujitsu drive, and an adaptec 4000
>controller.  I've strapped the adaptec to be scsi unit 3, then loaded up the
>CLTD low level formatter (hdformat, I think), and fill in the correct
>cylinders, unit #, etc, then hit format.  The drive spins for about 10 minutes,
>and I can hear the heads seeking, like normal formatting sounds.  At the
>end of 10 minutes, it comes back with "Command parameter error - #20" and
>format failed.  They have a list of possible errors, so it's either invalid
>command (hex 20) or Record not found (dec 20).  I've checked my parameters
>a hundred times, but everything looks OK.  Is there some strange way the
>adaptec has to be strapped?  Has anybody run into this before?  Any advice?
>Thanks in advance.
>
>	--Greg Olson (golson@sun.com)

Well I happen to have the same set up as you and here's your problem.  The
adaptec must be strapped as SCSI device 1 and the new 506 drive as drive 1
(the other being drive 0) then you can access it as unit 9 and unit 1
respectively.  You can only have two drives on an adaptec in this manner
so no matter how many adaptecs you install only one of them can have two
drives on it.  To re-iterate strap the adaptec as scsi unit 1 that's all
there is to it.  Nothing really fancy just not documented any where but
it was explained to me when I called C-LTD way back when.  then when
you access the original drive will be unit 1 and the new drive will be
unit 9.  Those incidentaly are the mountlist numbers as well.  The flags
entry in the mountlist does not change.
Hope this helps
Scott

--
Scott Beckstead      | Sew Crates was a grate greek.
CIS 76106,3720       |     Dang that one got right by the spelling checker