[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Puzzling Paula!

ridder@elvira.enet.dec.com (Hans Ridder) (02/21/90)

I recently had a problem with an A500.  After booting the Workbench,
you could click and open the RAM icon, but if you clicked on the
Workbench disk icon, the system would hang (the pointer would freeze
after the first click).  A few seconds later the power light would do
the blink routine, but the system would not re-boot.  A three fingered
salute would get the blinks and then hang again.  You'd never get the
actual "guru".  After cycling power, you could re-boot.  This was
totally 100% re-producable.  Even tried different workbench disks -
same problem.

To make a long story short, after swapping everything but the key
caps, I finally swapped Paula.  That fixed it.  This puzzles me.  I
know she does the ports, disk data, and the interrupts.  The only
thing that I could think of was that she was corrupting the disk data.
However, if there were the case, I would think that the checksums
would fail, and I wouldn't have been able to boot.  Not to mention,
all the way to a workbench screen!

How is it that Paula would allow the system to boot, but fail on the
first click of the disk icon?   Any ideas?  Commodore people?

-hans
  Hans-Gabriel Ridder			Digital Equipment Corporation
  ridder@elvira.enet.dec.com		Customer Support Center
  ...decwrl!elvira.enet!ridder		Colorado Springs, CO

p554mve@mpirbn.UUCP (Michael van Elst) (02/23/90)

In article <736@shodha.dec.com> ridder@elvira.enet.dec.com (Hans Ridder) writes:
>How is it that Paula would allow the system to boot, but fail on the
>first click of the disk icon?   Any ideas?  Commodore people?

An identical symptom showed up on my Amiga, yet it wasn't Paula but
one of the CIAs. Nevertheless, the reason for this behaviour is the
interrupt system, and this is managed by Paula AND the CIAs.

The problem arises from the attempt to synchronize rendering with
the electon beam in you monitor. One CIA clock is used to time
the interrupt routine excactly to the correct scanline and Paula
of course delivers the interrupt.

Now on the ususal workbench screen the synchronisation is used only
with icon movement. (I've played with the old Kick1.1, and everthing
works there because only the pointer changes when moving an icon).

Michael van Elst
uunet!unido!mpirbn!p554mve