[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] What Memory Chips for A2630??

sutherla@qtp.ufl.edu (scott sutherland) (02/23/90)

	I posted a question about memory for the A2091 a couple of
weeks ago because I thought I was going to take advantage of the
Ed. Discount to get one of these.  Well, my financial situation
looks like it is shaping up so that I can go all out and get
an A2500/30/PC.  Yea!!!   Well, I know that it comes with
1 meg of standard A2000 RAM, 2 Megs of 32-bit fast RAM, and
1 meg of ram for just the AT.  I was planning on going ahead
and populating the A2091 board it comes with anyway when I started
reading the people were getting 32-bit RAM chips to populate
their 2630 boards to 4 Meg and not paying much more than they would
for the 16-bit RAM for the A2091.  Now, I have the following questions.

1) What kind of RAM do I need for the A2630?
2) How much does it typically cost?
3) Suggested retailers?

	I really hope I can get this thing, cause then I can ray-trace
to my hearts' content!! ;*) ;*)

	Who knows, maybe I'll populate my A2091 AND my A2630.  Then
I'd have a total of 7 Mb of Amiga RAM.

ONE LAST QUESTION::::

	Can someone email me the answer to the following.  If I have
the 1 meg RAM on the motherboard, 2 Megs on the A2091, and 4 Megs
of 32-bit RAM on the A2630, which processor (68000 and 68030) can
use which types of RAM and for what kinds of purposes?  For instance,
if I use the 68030, can I use the 3 Mb of 16-bit RAM as a RAMDisk??
CAN the '030 access the 16-bit RAM in a normal fashion?  If so,
any performance degradation???   Can the 68000 use the 32-bit RAM?
If so, how? (e.g. Ram disk, direct ram, etc.)  Since I know virtually
nothing about how this different RAM is interrelated, a detailed
response would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott Sutherland
sutherla@qtp.ufl.edu

lgreen@pnet01.cts.com (Lawrence Greenwald) (02/24/90)

sutherla@qtp.ufl.edu (scott sutherland) writes:

  [A2091 related matter deleted]

>ONE LAST QUESTION::::
>
>	Can someone email me the answer to the following.  If I have
>the 1 meg RAM on the motherboard, 2 Megs on the A2091, and 4 Megs
>of 32-bit RAM on the A2630, which processor (68000 and 68030) can
>use which types of RAM and for what kinds of purposes?  For instance,
>if I use the 68030, can I use the 3 Mb of 16-bit RAM as a RAMDisk??
>CAN the '030 access the 16-bit RAM in a normal fashion?  If so,
>any performance degradation???   Can the 68000 use the 32-bit RAM?
>If so, how? (e.g. Ram disk, direct ram, etc.)  Since I know virtually
>nothing about how this different RAM is interrelated, a detailed
>response would be appreciated.
If you boot the 68030, you have the memory on the 68030 board, the 2091 board
and the 1 meg on the motherboard (4 + 2 + 1 = 7 meg)

If you boot the 68000, it doesn't see the board in the co-processor slot and
thus, cannot access (AT ALL!!) the memory on the A2630. It will only see the
memory on the 2091 and the motherboard (2 + 1 = 3 meg).

I don't know directly about which memory is config'ed first (32/16 bit) so I
can't answer about where the RAM disk could/would be setup.

>Thanks,
>
>Scott Sutherland
>sutherla@qtp.ufl.edu

Larry Greenwald

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd sdcsvax nosc}!crash!pnet01!lgreen
ARPA: crash!pnet01!lgreen@nosc.mil
INET: lgreen@pnet01.cts.com
SNAIL:4545 Collwood Blvd, #52  San Diego, CA 92115
"I'm looking over a three-leaf clover that I overlooked be-three!"  -Bugs Bunny