[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Contiguous drives under volume name

mmaston@portia.Stanford.EDU (Michael Maston) (02/13/90)

This may be a strange question but, I just became the proud owner of several
Conner CP-340 hard drives and I am installing them in my A2000 with the
Seagate ST-277N already there.  I was thinking that it is somewhat annoying
to have to have several volumes (DH0:, DH1:, DH2:, etc).  Is it possible
in the Mountlist to just list all the drives (Unit #, cylinders, etc) under
one volume name such as DH0: and have all the separate hard drives appear
as one huge contiguous drive?

I haven't found anything in the manuals about something like this, but it
sure would be convenient!

Any ideas are welcome!

Mike

jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) (02/24/90)

In article <9124@portia.Stanford.EDU> mmaston@portia.Stanford.EDU (Michael Maston) writes:
>I was thinking that it is somewhat annoying
>to have to have several volumes (DH0:, DH1:, DH2:, etc).  Is it possible
>in the Mountlist to just list all the drives (Unit #, cylinders, etc) under
>one volume name such as DH0: and have all the separate hard drives appear
>as one huge contiguous drive?

Can't be done in the current AmigaDOS.  It has no concept of what you're
talking about.  Each drive has to be treated individually.

Having all the disks appear as one large logical disk is not a good thing,
compared to the alternatives.  BT Tymnet has one system in which DSKB:
consists of 13 disks, 600 megabytes each.  Unfortunately, this 7.8 gigabyte
logical disk is vulnerable to hardware failures.  If one disk goes out, we
lose everything, instead of only 1/13th of the data.  This is because the
directory may be on one disk, the file header on a second, and the data
spread across several others.  Logical disk = all or nothing.  (You don't
want to know how long it takes to restore the files from forty-seven
2400-foot 6250-bpi tapes.)

>I haven't found anything in the manuals about something like this, but it
>sure would be convenient!

What would be convenient, however, would be the equivalent of the MS-DOS
JOIN command, which allows the root directory of one disk to appear as
a subdirectory of another disk.  Or use the Unix design for file systems.
That way the disks are still independent at the low level (seperate root
directories, block allocation tables, etc) so that a hardware failure
affects only the one disk.  But at the high level, the Amiga file requestors
can treat them all as one large disk.

Isn't that what you really want?
--
Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: jms@tardis.tymnet.com or jms@gemini.tymnet.com
BT Tymnet Tech Services | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms