[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Bridgeboard w/pseudo HD woes

griffin@frith.egr.msu.edu (02/25/90)

I posted this several weeks ago, but no one has responded yet, so I'll
try one more time...

I am using a pseudo PC hard drive with an older 2088 bridgeboard.  My
problem is that it takes forever to load programs from it!  I guesstimate
that it is about 6-8 times slower than an XT.  The SCSI amiga drive has
a FFS format on that partition, and I've had no trouble reading from it
(other than speedwise) so I did not add Mask = 0 to my mountlist.  (Note
this is the autobooting pseudo hard drive made with MAKEAB, ~10MB).  Does
anyone know why this may be happening?  Is this normal?!

Dan Griffin
griffin@frith.egr.msu.edu		"We're waiting for Godot..."

a218@mindlink.UUCP (Charlie Gibbs) (02/26/90)

In article <6597@cps3xx.UUCP> griffin@frith.egr.msu.edu (Dan Griffin)
writes:

>I am using a pseudo PC hard drive with an older 2088 bridgeboard.  My
>problem is that it takes forever to load programs from it!  I guesstimate
>that it is about 6-8 times slower than an XT.  The SCSI amiga drive has
>a FFS format on that partition, and I've had no trouble reading from it
>(other than speedwise) so I did not add Mask = 0 to my mountlist. (Note
>this is the autobooting pseudo hard drive made with MAKEAB, ~10MB). Does
>anyone know why this may be happening?  Is this normal?!

     I encountered the same problem on my system.  I have a 2500
with a 2286 bridge board.  It was accessing a 7-megabyte "FakeC"
file on the stock A2090A / Rodime RO-3055 (40-megabyte ST-506) hard
disk system which came as part of the 2500.  I'm running Janus 2.0,
and normally access the bridge board through a color window.

     I found that as beautifully as it would run, the auto-boot
partition was s...l...o...w... - not much faster than a floppy disk.
I assumed that this was due to bandwidth limitations in the shared
RAM through which the Amiga communicates with the bridge board (a
suspicion which is re-inforced by the jerkiness of the MS-DOS video
display).

     My solution was to give up.  I purchased a Seagate ST-138R
(30-megabyte RLL) hard card and dropped it into an XT slot (I
decided not to open a possible can of worms by trying an AT
controller).  The first time I powered up the system the bridge
board booted straight into the hard card's low-level format routine.
I've never looked back.  The hard card is nice and fast, and I was
starting to need the space on the Amiga's hard drive anyway.

     I have encountered a couple of problems with the hard card,
though.  First of all, the time comes up wrong whenever I re-boot
the bridge board; the date and hour are set correctly, but the
minutes and seconds are always set to zero.  If I enter the set-up
menu (control-alt-escape) the correct time is displayed.  If I
pull the hard card, the time comes up properly whenever I re-boot.

     The other problem I have is that I lose my floppy disk
configuration whenever I power down for the night.  I've replaced
the 1.2-megabyte drive with a 360K 5 1/4-inch drive and a 720K
3 1/2-inch drive.  Whenever I power up the system, the MS-DOS boot
process displays "Drive 0 configuration error" (sometimes drive 1
as well).  If I enter the configuration screen, I find that the
configuration has been reset to a single 1.2-megabyte drive.
Also, the first time I try to access either floppy disk drive,
there must *not* be a disk in the drive or the bridge board will
hang.  If I wait for the "Not ready" message, then insert a disk
and retry, or even insert the disk after the drive light comes on,
everything is fine.  This doesn't seem to happen if I remove the
hard card.

     The other day I powered the system down, moved it, and brought
it back up five minutes later.  The floppy disk configuration was
preserved.  This would suggest a problem with the battery, except
for the fact that the date and time are always preserved.  I don't
know what to say about this one.

Charlie_Gibbs@mindlink.UUCP
If your nose runs and your feet smell, you're built upside-down.