[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] A1000 SOTS scsi harddrive controller sought

new@udel.edu (Darren New) (02/21/90)

I'm looking for an A1000 SOTS controller that would allow the use
of SCSIdirect commands. I've got a CLtd controller right now, and
of all its limitations and bugs, not being able to use it to make
tape backups is my biggest peeve. So I'm looking for any setup that
would allow me to put a SCSIdirect controller on my A1000. I already have
a microbotics starboard memory module with 2Meg. An expander bus,
a A500-based something, or whatever if needed. New or used, I'm not fussy.

I think it's really a shame that no hardware developers seem to be
supporting SOTS any more.  When I first saw the SOTS idea, I thought
"Great! Unlimited expansion! No more you-must-buy-a-new-multifunction-card-
because-your- peecee-clone-is-out-of-slots syndrome."  I'm just sorry that it
didn't really work out that way -- now the entire machine has been
orphaned.         Oh well.      Can anybody give me a hint? I would
really like to use my tape drive on my 1000!   -- Darren

In <100185@convex.convex.com>, swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) writes:
>In article <11678@nigel.udel.EDU> new@udel.edu (Darren New) writes:
>>I'm looking for an A1000 SOTS controller that would allow the use
>>of SCSIdirect commands. ...
>
>For both the ignorant and the forgetful among us,  what is SOTS?

Slap On The Side. In reference to the way peripherals are added to the A1000.
I believe the phrase was coined by Perry Kivolowitz, though I could be wrong.

-larry

--
Gallium Arsenide is the technology of the future;
  always has been, always will be.

ridder@elvira.enet.dec.com (Hans Ridder) (02/23/90)

In article <11678@nigel.udel.EDU> new@udel.edu (Darren New) writes:
>I think it's really a shame that no hardware developers seem to be
>supporting SOTS any more.  When I first saw the SOTS idea, I thought
>"Great! Unlimited expansion! No more you-must-buy-a-new-multifunction-card-
>because-your- peecee-clone-is-out-of-slots syndrome."

Well unfortunately, it doesn't work out that way.  The reason SOTS
isn't popular is becase of all of the problems it caused.  I guess you
weren't around back when all the "My X won't work when plugged into my
Y, but it will work when plugged into the Amiga alone" type postings
were popular.  There were compatibility problems out the wazoo, mostly
due to the fact that they didn't have any buffering of the bus.  A
68000, or any chip for that matter, can only take so much of a load
before it goes flakey.

[Begin Opinion]
What the 1000 (and 500) needs is a well designed expansion chassis.
With bus buffers, arbitration, and everything.  Not those cheesey
"connectors in a box" type things that Phoenix/Expansion Technologies
is peddling.  They're just as flakey as a SOTS, and add to the bad
reputation of the Amiga.  Now I know that these boxes do work in
certain configurations, but in my opinion, it's not enough of them.

Maybe I'm ignorant of some technical details, but it seems to me that
there is no valid technical reason that a 1000 can't have (Zorro II)
expansion slots (nearly) as good as a 2000.  I don't need a
co-processor slot and a video slot, just give me three or so Zorro II
slots in a nice box and I'll be happy.
[End Opinion]

No bus can be of unlimited length, so multifunction cards are probably
here to stay....

-hans
  Hans-Gabriel Ridder			Digital Equipment Corporation
  ridder@elvira.enet.dec.com		Customer Support Center
  ...decwrl!elvira.enet!ridder		Colorado Springs, CO

swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) (02/23/90)

	  {uunet,sun}!convex!swarren; swarren@convex.COM

new@udel.edu (Darren New) (02/24/90)

In article <100185@convex.convex.com> swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) writes:
>For both the ignorant and the forgetful among us,  what is SOTS?

I had to ask the first time I saw it too :-)
SOTS == Slap On The Side.

Actually, if someone can recommend a 1000->2000 cardcage I would also be happy
	      -- Darren

barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) (02/27/90)

In article <753@shodha.dec.com> ridder@elvira.enet.dec.com (Hans Ridder) writes:
>[Begin Opinion]
>What the 1000 (and 500) needs is a well designed expansion chassis.
>With bus buffers, arbitration, and everything.  Not those cheesey
>"connectors in a box" type things that Phoenix/Expansion Technologies
>is peddling....

	Gee, wasn't that what ASDG was building:  the "2000-and-1" expansion
box?  I think it never came out, due to lack of consumer interest (!) or
some such reason.

                                                        Dan

 //////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
| Dan Barrett, Department of Computer Science      Johns Hopkins University |
| INTERNET:   barrett@cs.jhu.edu           |                                |
| COMPUSERVE: >internet:barrett@cs.jhu.edu | UUCP:   barrett@jhunix.UUCP    |
 \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\/////////////////////////////////////

dash@legs.UUCP (Darrell Shively) (03/01/90)

in article <11678@nigel.udel.EDU>, new@udel.edu (Darren New) says:

> I'm looking for an A1000 SOTS controller that would allow the use
[stuff deleted]
> I think it's really a shame that no hardware developers seem to be
> supporting SOTS any more.  ...

I guess this must be a really naive question, but what is/are "SOTS" ?

> really like to use my tape drive on my 1000!   -- Darren
--
Darrell M. Shively II (dash)        uucp:      ...!uunet!ccicpg!legs!dash
AST Research Inc. Dept 660          MS OnLine: MS05455

ridder@elvira.enet.dec.com (Hans Ridder) (03/02/90)

In article <4341@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> barrett@jhunix.UUCP (Dan Barrett) writes:
>In article <753@shodha.dec.com> ridder@elvira.enet.dec.com (Hans Ridder) writes:
>>[Begin Opinion]
>>What the 1000 (and 500) needs is a well designed expansion chassis.
>>With bus buffers, arbitration, and everything.  Not those cheesey
>>"connectors in a box" type things that Phoenix/Expansion Technologies
>>is peddling....
>
>	Gee, wasn't that what ASDG was building:  the "2000-and-1" expansion
>box?  I think it never came out, due to lack of consumer interest (!) or
>some such reason.

Yes, it was being called the '2000 and 1'.  It had 5 Zorro II slots, a
coprocessor slot, and as I remember, most of a video slot.  Basically,
it had most of the stuff to make a 1000 into a 2000.  It was large (12
inches wide?), and it cost too much ($999?).

After promising it Real Soon Now for quite a while, they asked how
many people would buy it for an even higher price ($1200?), and didn't
get enough responses.  It didn't make any sense to spend that kind of
money when you could get a real 2000 for less money on the "original"
trade-in deal.

In my opinion, they were trying to do too much in it.  Trying to be
all things to all people.  I think that many people would have been
happy with 3-5 Zorro II slots and a power supply in a box.  I know I
would have.