[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] hard disk drive parameters request

lai@mips.COM (David Lai) (02/27/90)

About 2 years (!) ago, someone at Commodore posted a list of about
100 or so hard disk drives, listing the number of heads and cylinders
and other interesting data.  If anyone kept a copy of this, I would
appreciate if you can send it to me.  Thanks.

If there is a more updated list, that'll do better.
--
        "What is a DJ if he can't scratch?"  - Uncle Jamms Army
     David Lai (lai@mips.com || {ames,prls,pyramid,decwrl}!mips!lai)

gerry@pencilbox.uucp (Gerry Lachac) (02/27/90)

In article <36464@mips.mips.COM> lai@mips.COM (David Lai) writes:
>About 2 years (!) ago, someone at Commodore posted a list of about
>100 or so hard disk drives, listing the number of heads and cylinders
>and other interesting data.  If anyone kept a copy of this, I would
>appreciate if you can send it to me.  Thanks.

I can sort of do better than that.  This month's Computer Shopper
lists a bunch of drives with all that information.  Worth picking up
if you're planning on looking for hard drives.  They seem to have
every hard drive currently available. (of course, looks can be
deceiving :-)

uunet!dialogic!gerry   | "Even a dead plant turns  |	Dialogic Corporation
	OR	       |  over a new leaf 	   |	300 Littleton Rd
gerry@dialogic.UUCP    |  when the wind blows."	   |	Parsippany, NJ 07054

fnf@estinc.UUCP (Fred Fish) (03/03/90)

In article <1117@dialogic.UUCP> gerry@pencilbox.UUCP (Gerry Lachac) writes:
>I can sort of do better than that.  This month's Computer Shopper
>lists a bunch of drives with all that information.  Worth picking up
>if you're planning on looking for hard drives.  They seem to have
>every hard drive currently available. (of course, looks can be
>deceiving :-)

Yes, looks are deceiving.  Have you actually tried to use the tables?  :-)

For example, I wanted to find out the number of sectors on a Quantum 105S,
which is listed on page 145.  Lets see, number of cylinders is ... yes, there
it is, 1019.  Number of heads (tracks) per cylinder is ... yes, there it
is, 6.  Number of sectors per track is ... well, lets look again ... ack! ..
not listed!  Of course there is such useful info as the density in bpi, and
the tracks per drive, which should just be the number of tracks times the
number of heads.  :-(

-Fred
--
# Fred Fish, 1835 E. Belmont Drive, Tempe, AZ 85284,  USA
# 1-602-491-0048           asuvax!{nud,mcdphx}!estinc!fnf