[net.space] Needed Space Scientists for SETI program

eugene@ames.UUCP (Eugene Miya) (04/09/85)

Sorry, My typo in the subject field:
Subject: Needed Space Scientists of SETI program
Should read:
Subject: Needed: Space Scientists for SETI program

--eugene

wolit@alice.UUCP (Jan Wolitzky) (04/11/85)

[From an ad in net.jobs:]

> NASA is recruiting for Space Scientists for the SETI (Search for
> Extraterrestrial Intelligence) Program. . . .
>
> U.S. CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED.

Is the government afraid of leaking secrets to the Martians?
Or are they just using NASA as a smokescreen for work on something
other than SETI?  Do we really want xenophobes like this to be
the first to "make contact"?  Looks like David Stockman overlooked
some good candidates for budget cutting!
--
Jan Wolitzky, AT&T Bell Laboratories, Murray Hill, NJ; (201) 582-2998
(Affiliation given for identification purposes only)

chongo@nsc.UUCP (Landon Noll) (04/17/85)

In article <3558@alice.UUCP> wolit@alice.UUCP (Jan Wolitzky) writes:
 >[From an ad in net.jobs:]
 >> Extraterrestrial Intelligence) Program. . . .
 >>
 >> U.S. CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED.
 >
 >Is the government afraid of leaking secrets to the Martians?
 >Or are they just using NASA as a smokescreen for work on something
 >other than SETI?  Do we really want xenophobes like this to be
 >the first to "make contact"?  Looks like David Stockman overlooked
 >some good candidates for budget cutting!

You never know what a person with a different economic background might due
to your Star Wars program!  :-)

chongo <if your not one of US, you must be one of them> /\xx/\
--
no comment is a comment.

desjardins@h-sc1.UUCP (marie desjardins) (04/17/85)

 >[From an ad in net.jobs:]
 >> Extraterrestrial Intelligence) Program. . . .
 >>
 >> U.S. CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED.
 >
 >Is the government afraid of leaking secrets to the Martians?
 >Or are they just using NASA as a smokescreen for work on something
 >other than SETI?  Do we really want xenophobes like this to be
 >the first to "make contact"?  Looks like David Stockman overlooked
 >some good candidates for budget cutting!

It's very difficult to hire a U.S. citizen for a technical position;
you have to prove that "no US citizen could do the job you're hiring
them for".  Also, if it's government-funded, I would think that since
it's being paid for by US citizens' taxes, they prefer to hire US
citizens (I wouldn't be surprised if there are gov't regulations
about this).

--

	marie desjardins
	...!harvard!h-sc4!h-sc1!desjardins

aouriri@ittvax.UUCP (Chedley Aouriri) (04/18/85)

>  >[From an ad in net.jobs:]
>  >> Extraterrestrial Intelligence) Program. . . .
>  >>
>  >> U.S. CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED.
>  >
>  >Is the government afraid of leaking secrets to the Martians?
>  >Or are they just using NASA as a smokescreen for work on something
>  >other than SETI?  Do we really want xenophobes like this to be
>  >the first to "make contact"?  Looks like David Stockman overlooked
>  >some good candidates for budget cutting!
>
> It's very difficult to hire a U.S. citizen for a technical position;
> you have to prove that "no US citizen could do the job you're hiring
> them for".  Also, if it's government-funded, I would think that since
> it's being paid for by US citizens' taxes, they prefer to hire US
> citizens (I wouldn't be surprised if there are gov't regulations
> about this).
>
> --
>
> 	marie desjardins
> 	...!harvard!h-sc4!h-sc1!desjardins

Not quiet true!
According to US law, employers can hire non US citizens
if they are Permanent Residents in the US (ie. they have the so
called "green card"). Not only that, but it is illegal to discriminate
against them.
Non US citizens who are Permanent Residents in the US have all the
rights and duties of US citizens, exepting the right to vote or be
elected in federal elections, and including the armed service duty
(Permanent Residents are draftable by the US army).
Now, an established policy of DOD requires US Defense contractors to
employ on DOD projects only those who have security clearance. And
you cannot get a Security Clearance if you are not a US citizen.
That is why many employment ads post "US citizenship required".
By the way, you can tell whether the seeked employment position
is with a DOD contracted project just by enquiring about the US
citizenship requirement.

dfi@ihuxo.UUCP (Dan Iuster) (04/19/85)

>  >[From an ad in net.jobs:]
>  >> Extraterrestrial Intelligence) Program. . . .
>  >>
>  >> U.S. CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED.
>  >
>  >Is the government afraid of leaking secrets to the Martians?
>  >....

> Also, if it's government-funded, I would think that since
> it's being paid for by US citizens' taxes, they prefer to hire US
> citizens.

You mean resident aliens don't have to pay their dues (read taxes) to
the US government ?  Being one, maybe I should get my money back from
the IRS ...
--

               ~~~~~~~
	      /       \				Dan F. Iuster

padpowell@wateng.UUCP (PAD Powell) (04/19/85)

In article <280@h-sc1.UUCP> desjardins@h-sc1.UUCP (marie desjardins) writes:
>It's very difficult to hire a U.S. citizen for a technical position;
>you have to prove that "no US citizen could do the job you're hiring
>them for".

Yep.  Based on my experiences with U.S. government and military,
that is EXACTLY the way it is done.

Any comments, Colonel?

Patrick ("Hmmm... might be some truth in that...") Powell