[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Difference American vs. European Amiga

micke@slaka.sirius.se (Mikael Karlsson) (02/05/90)

What are the differences between an american and a european Amiga?
If I buy an Amiga in the US, what changes do I have to make to get
it to work in Europe? The power supply, ok. Anything else? The new
Agnus handles PAL as well as NTSC. Great, but how does it know the
difference? Automagically? A jumper?
Ok, is that it?

Thanks in advance

--

Mikael Karlsson, Lovsattersvagen 10, S-585 98  LINKOPING, SWEDEN
micke@slaka.UUCP, micke@slaka.sirius.se

In article <15465.AA15465@slaka.sirius.se> micke@slaka.sirius.se (Mikael Karlsson) writes:
>What are the differences between an american and a european Amiga?
>If I buy an Amiga in the US, what changes do I have to make to get
>it to work in Europe? The power supply, ok.

At least some of the A2000 power supplies can be internally jumpered for
110/120 vs. 220/240.

>Anything else? The new Agnus handles PAL as well as NTSC. Great, but
>how does it know the difference? Automagically? A jumper?

Other than the power supply, you need to take care of Agnus, like you
surmised.  For any ECS Agnus, you need only worry about its startup
configuration, which is set via jumper.  On the A2000, this jumper is a
solder-short jumper called J102; closed for NTSC, open for PAL.  Once
1.4 comes along, you could actually change in software for all intents
and most purposes.

If you're involved in video work, you'll need to change the system crystal
as well.  In PAL machines the main crystal is 28.357MHz crystal, on NTSC
machine this is a 28.636MHz crystal.  These work into the color clocks, so
a crystal change is required for video work, but nothing else.

>Mikael Karlsson, Lovsattersvagen 10, S-585 98  LINKOPING, SWEDEN

--
Dave Haynie Commodore-Amiga (Systems Engineering) "The Crew That Never Rests"
                    Too much of everything is just enough

phupp@warwick.ac.uk (S Millington) (02/19/90)

>In article <15465.AA15465@slaka.sirius.se> micke@slaka.sirius.se (Mikael Karlsson) writes:
>>What are the differences between an american and a european Amiga?
>>If I buy an Amiga in the US, what changes do I have to make to get
>>it to work in Europe? The power supply, ok.

     Also, I am told, some software from the US refuses to work on european
amigas and visa-versa. What do these packages detect?

Stuart Millington.
phupp@poppy.

In <5160@wehi.dn.mu.oz>, BAXTER_A@wehi.dn.mu.oz writes:
> I must say it is quite irritating not to be able to use the bottom quarter of
> the screen.

Must be terrible.  Almost as terrible as having gadgets or text or parts of a
picture somewhere in video limbo, just below the bottom of a screen. It isn't
just programmers from the US who ignore the rest of the world.

-larry

--
Gallium Arsenide is the technology of the future;
  always has been, always will be.

phupp@warwick.ac.uk (S Millington) writes:

>>In article <15465.AA15465@slaka.sirius.se> micke@slaka.sirius.se (Mikael Karlsson) writes:
>>>What are the differences between an american and a european Amiga?
>>>If I buy an Amiga in the US, what changes do I have to make to get
>>>it to work in Europe? The power supply, ok.

That should be about it. Make sure you change the power supply on the
monitor also. And any other peripherals you will be using, printers, modems.

>     Also, I am told, some software from the US refuses to work on european
>amigas and visa-versa. What do these packages detect?

Not so. The only real difference besides the voltage is the TV standard over
in Europe. Here we have NTSC, they have PAL. PAL has a few more rows of
graphics then the NTSC version does. So some Europeon software may extend
below the bottom of your NTSC screen and be chopped off.

NTSC software on a Europeon machine just looks a bit scrunched horizontally.

But with the new Agnus chip, switching between NTSC and PAL is just a jumper
away. Or maybe even in the software? Didn't Dave Haynie say something about
switching PAL/NTSC in software when the new chipset and 1.4 comes out?

--
John Sparks  | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 1200bps. Accessable via Starlink (Louisville KY)
sparks@corpane.UUCP <><><><><><><><><><><> D.I.S.K. ph:502/968-5401 thru -5406

BAXTER_A@wehi.dn.mu.oz (02/21/90)

In article <381@poppy.warwick.ac.uk>, phupp@warwick.ac.uk (S Millington) writes:
>>In article <15465.AA15465@slaka.sirius.se> micke@slaka.sirius.se (Mikael Karlsson) writes:
>>>What are the differences between an american and a european Amiga?
>>>If I buy an Amiga in the US, what changes do I have to make to get
>>>it to work in Europe? The power supply, ok.
>
>      Also, I am told, some software from the US refuses to work on european
> amigas and visa-versa. What do these packages detect?

The only software from US which doesn't "work" here is rthe software written by
lazy narrow minded shits who open every screen with a height of 200 scan lines.
It is exceptionally easy to check for PAL/NTSC type of machine, or even, as is
becoming more common, to open a screen the same size as workbench. If noone
objects, I will post example code on how to do this sort of stuff. I must say
it is quite irritating not to be able to use the bottom quarter of the screen.

Regards Alan
> Stuart Millington.
> phupp@poppy.

davewt@NCoast.ORG (David Wright) (02/21/90)

	It's not OUR fault you can't use the bottom of the screen. And I
would hardly call the opening of a screen to only 200 lines lazy. You have
to consider, that at least for custom bit-mapped displays, there is NO WAY
to make the screen any bigger than the artwork you want to put on it. If
I opened a screen any larger, and just left it as useless space, what
good would it do you? And in your own words, it's just annoying. It's
a lot better than what the "lazy, narrow-minded" programmers do from
EUROPE. They assume you have a PAL machine, and there software USES the
bottom of the display. There is no way to use any of the programs on a
NTSC machine, period. That's a lot worse than just "annoying". And what's a
lot worse than that, european programmers seem to have some strange love for
logo's. And waste the top half of the screen, which is usable by both NTSC
and PAL with the name of the program, (usually game), and put the important
info, status displays, etc. on the very bottom of the display, where only
PAL machines can see them.
	Take the beam out of your own eye man, before you start telling
us about the dust speck in our eyes...

					Dave

BAXTER_A@wehi.dn.mu.oz (02/22/90)

In article <1990Feb21.115439.6769@NCoast.ORG>, davewt@NCoast.ORG (David Wright) writes:
> 	It's not OUR fault you can't use the bottom of the screen. And I
> would hardly call the opening of a screen to only 200 lines lazy. You have
> to consider, that at least for custom bit-mapped displays, there is NO WAY
> to make the screen any bigger than the artwork you want to put on it. If
> I opened a screen any larger, and just left it as useless space, what
> good would it do you? And in your own words, it's just annoying. It's
> a lot better than what the "lazy, narrow-minded" programmers do from
> EUROPE. They assume you have a PAL machine, and there software USES the
> bottom of the display. There is no way to use any of the programs on a
> NTSC machine, period. That's a lot worse than just "annoying". And what's a
> lot worse than that, european programmers seem to have some strange love for
> logo's. And waste the top half of the screen, which is usable by both NTSC
> and PAL with the name of the program, (usually game), and put the important
> info, status displays, etc. on the very bottom of the display, where only
> PAL machines can see them.
> 	Take the beam out of your own eye man, before you start telling
> us about the dust speck in our eyes...

This is great!! I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that :-) You see, had you
checked my address, you might have noticed I'm AUSTRALIAN. Australian
programmers always check for machine type and open a screen of the rigt size!

Regards Alan

alex@bilver.UUCP (Alex Matulich) (02/23/90)

In article <381@poppy.warwick.ac.uk> phupp@warwick.ac.uk (S Millington) writes:
>>>What are the differences between an american and a european Amiga?
>>>If I buy an Amiga in the US, what changes do I have to make to get
>>>it to work in Europe? The power supply, ok.
>
>     Also, I am told, some software from the US refuses to work on european
>amigas and visa-versa. What do these packages detect?

Intercomputing (you sometimes see their ads in AmigaWorld) sells European
Amigas modified for the US.  The differences are that those Amigas can display
both PAL and NTSC, and a jumper on the power supply needs to be moved to
be compatible with 60 Hz 120 VAC.  Maybe a swap of a chip or two also, but
the changes that are needed are quite minimal.

And before anybody asks, the FCC has granted Intercomputing
approval to sell European Amigas in the US.

No, I am not associated with them at all.

--
     ///  Alex Matulich
    ///  Unicorn Research Corp, 4621 N Landmark Dr, Orlando, FL 32817

aiajms@castle.ed.ac.uk (Bellerophon) (02/26/90)

>> good would it do you? And in your own words, it's just annoying. It's
>> a lot better than what the "lazy, narrow-minded" programmers do from
>> EUROPE. They assume you have a PAL machine, and there software USES the
>> bottom of the display. There is no way to use any of the programs on a
>> NTSC machine, period. That's a lot worse than just "annoying". And what's a
>> lot worse than that, european programmers seem to have some strange love for
>> logo's. And waste the top half of the screen, which is usable by both NTSC
>> and PAL with the name of the program, (usually game), and put the important
>> info, status displays, etc. on the very bottom of the display, where only
>> PAL machines can see them.

Well first of all might I say, sit on your NTSC and twist sideways. The
answer is obvious, ditch NTSC and go for PAL like normal people in the
World and especially us Europeans. All you yanks out there write to your
senator, congressman, ABC, NBC, Oprah Winfrey, Donahue, Roseanne, Bill
Cosby, President Bush, tweetie pie and sylvester, bugs bunny, JR Ewing,
Sylvester Stallone, the purple heart, ma's apple pie, Ollie North,
Manuel Noriega (your ex-Drugs Enforcement Official), ex-President "look no
hands but watch the string " Reagan, Macdonalds, Wall Street and that
last bastion of Americanism - the CIA (Criminally Inept Americans).
Besides we are the 1st world you're only the second and when we
eventually get EC integration we'll be much bigger than you.

>This is great!! I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that :-) You see, had you
>checked my address, you might have noticed I'm AUSTRALIAN. Australian
>programmers always check for machine type and open a screen of the rigt size!
>
>Regards Alan

OH YES!, I nearly forgot, Australians. The people who gave us "Home And
Away", "Neighbours", "Richie Benout (Cricket Commentator), "Sons And
Daughters", "The Flying Doctors" and "A Country Practice". Well just
remember you used to be part of our empire and I think, judging by the
crap you view on your television, moving to a  256 line  PAL wouldnt make any
difference to viewing even if they still broadcasted using NTSC. So
standardise to PAL or we'll just have to send a task force down to
correct your wrongs.

Yours Flamingly

-=Andy=-

JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) (02/27/90)

In article <2472@castle.ed.ac.uk>, aiajms@castle.ed.ac.uk (Bellerophon) says:
>Well first of all might I say, sit on your NTSC and twist sideways. The
>answer is obvious, ditch NTSC and go for PAL like normal people in the
>World and especially us Europeans. All you yanks out there write to your
>senator, congressman, ABC, NBC, Oprah Winfrey, Donahue, Roseanne, Bill
>Cosby, President Bush, tweetie pie and sylvester, bugs bunny, JR Ewing,
>Sylvester Stallone, the purple heart, ma's apple pie, Ollie North,
>Manuel Noriega (your ex-Drugs Enforcement Official), ex-President "look no
>hands but watch the string " Reagan, Macdonalds, Wall Street and that
>last bastion of Americanism - the CIA (Criminally Inept Americans).
>Besides we are the 1st world you're only the second and when we
>eventually get EC integration we'll be much bigger than you.

Yes, yes, cut down the stupid Americans... WHO CREATED THE COMPUTER YOU
ARE TYPING THE FLAME ON.  If you really mean all of the above, feel free
to prove it by tossing your Amiga out the window.

Eagerly awaiting the crash on the sidewalk and the ensuing silence from
your terminal,
                                                               Kurt
|| Kurt Tappe   (814) 862-8630 ||  "This town needs an enema."        ||
|| 600 E. Pollock Rd., #5705   ||                   - Joker, "Batman" ||
|| State College, PA 16801      --------------------------------------||
||   jkt100@psuvm.bitnet  or  jkt100@psuvm.psu.edu                    ||
||        or  jkt100%psuvm.bitnet@psuvax1           QLink: KurtTappe  ||

rchampe@hubcap.clemson.edu (Richard Champeaux) (02/27/90)

>Well first of all might I say, sit on your NTSC and twist sideways. The
>answer is obvious, ditch NTSC and go for PAL like normal people in the
>World and especially us Europeans. All you yanks out there write to your
>senator, congressman, ABC, NBC, Oprah Winfrey, Donahue, Roseanne, Bill
>Cosby, President Bush, tweetie pie and sylvester, bugs bunny, JR Ewing,
>Sylvester Stallone, the purple heart, ma's apple pie, Ollie North,
>Manuel Noriega (your ex-Drugs Enforcement Official), ex-President "look no
>hands but watch the string " Reagan, Macdonalds, Wall Street and that
>last bastion of Americanism - the CIA (Criminally Inept Americans).
>Besides we are the 1st world you're only the second and when we
>eventually get EC integration we'll be much bigger than you.

>OH YES!, I nearly forgot, Australians. The people who gave us "Home And
>Away", "Neighbours", "Richie Benout (Cricket Commentator), "Sons And
>Daughters", "The Flying Doctors" and "A Country Practice". Well just
>remember you used to be part of our empire and I think, judging by the
>crap you view on your television, moving to a  256 line  PAL wouldnt make any
>difference to viewing even if they still broadcasted using NTSC. So
>standardise to PAL or we'll just have to send a task force down to
>correct your wrongs.

>Yours Flamingly

>-=Andy=-

That, folks, was a fine example of either that wonderfully droll, but usually
bizarre English wit, or a pompous ass.

By the way, I remember seeing one of those wonderfull shows that are the
product of England, and I was very amused to notice that it was a rather
laughable clone of "Three's Company".  I would say that's a fine indication
of what the English people look for in entertainment.

Oh, and if you remember, the United States also used to be part of your empire.
Isn't it nice that you are now part of ours?

Rich Champeaux                       PLT:  The plotter device for the Amiga!
rchampe@hubcap.clemson.edu           Ask for it at your neighborhood FTP site!

"It's never too late to do nothing at all."

xanthian@saturn.ADS.COM (Metafont Consultant Account) (02/27/90)

I have  a great idea.   Rather than  merely   toasting each  other for  not
adopting the design of the AC power system from where it was  invented, but
instead choosing  an  incompatible standard, so that  we can fight 120 volt
versus 220  volt, and  60 Hertz versus 50 Hertz  wars forever;  rather than
just flaming  each other  for  not  adopting  TV standards  from  where the
technology was invented, but instead choosing an  incompatible standard, so
that we can fight PAL versus NTSC wars until hell  freezes over;  let's all
play Not Invented Here,  and drag our  feet all  the  way to the  standards
meetings a while longer,  so we  can adopt different  and incompatible HDTV
standards,  upward  compatible only  with  our  own  jingoistic existing TV
broadcast industries, in formats completely worthless for assisting digital
display and computing (no Powers of Two _here_, no sir, we don't believe in
them), so that we  can go on raving  about  how this  stuff written  by the
other guy/gal that  works for every  Amiga  computer available for  testing
within a thousand  miles of the  author won't work on _my_  Amiga computer,
well into the twenty second century and beyond.  Isn't this _fun_?

Sheesh!  Quit bellyaching and get involved.  And if anyone wants to mention
the only country in  the world that has  been officially metric for over  a
century  and never implemented the  standard, I have a  flag here I want to
wave a while to change the subject.

;-)

--
xanthian@ads.com xanthian@well.sf.ca.us (Kent Paul Dolan)
Again, my opinions, not the account furnishers'.

BAXTER_A@wehi.dn.mu.oz (02/27/90)

In article <2472@castle.ed.ac.uk>, aiajms@castle.ed.ac.uk (Bellerophon) writes:
>>> good would it do you? And in your own words, it's just annoying. It's
>>> a lot better than what the "lazy, narrow-minded" programmers do from
>>> EUROPE. They assume you have a PAL machine, and there software USES the
>>> bottom of the display. There is no way to use any of the programs on a
>>> NTSC machine, period. That's a lot worse than just "annoying". And what's a
>>> lot worse than that, european programmers seem to have some strange love for
>>> logo's. And waste the top half of the screen, which is usable by both NTSC
>>> and PAL with the name of the program, (usually game), and put the important
>>> info, status displays, etc. on the very bottom of the display, where only
>>> PAL machines can see them.
>
> Well first of all might I say, sit on your NTSC and twist sideways. The
> answer is obvious, ditch NTSC and go for PAL like normal people in the
> World and especially us Europeans. All you yanks out there write to your
> senator, congressman, ABC, NBC, Oprah Winfrey, Donahue, Roseanne, Bill
> Cosby, President Bush, tweetie pie and sylvester, bugs bunny, JR Ewing,
> Sylvester Stallone, the purple heart, ma's apple pie, Ollie North,
> Manuel Noriega (your ex-Drugs Enforcement Official), ex-President "look no
> hands but watch the string " Reagan, Macdonalds, Wall Street and that
> last bastion of Americanism - the CIA (Criminally Inept Americans).
> Besides we are the 1st world you're only the second and when we
> eventually get EC integration we'll be much bigger than you.
>
>>This is great!! I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that :-) You see, had you
>>checked my address, you might have noticed I'm AUSTRALIAN. Australian
>>programmers always check for machine type and open a screen of the rigt size!
>>
>>Regards Alan
>>
> OH YES!, I nearly forgot, Australians. The people who gave us "Home And
> Away", "Neighbours", "Richie Benout (Cricket Commentator), "Sons And
> Daughters", "The Flying Doctors" and "A Country Practice". Well just
> remember you used to be part of our empire and I think, judging by the
> crap you view on your television, moving to a  256 line  PAL wouldnt make any
> difference to viewing even if they still broadcasted using NTSC. So
> standardise to PAL or we'll just have to send a task force down to
> correct your wrongs.
>

> Yours Flamingly
>
> -=Andy=-
Oh dear Andy, Andy, Andy. You don't think we WATCH that stuff, do you. I bet
you even think we drink XXXX and Fosters. No No No. We wouldn't touch it. We
EXPORT crap TV and shithouse beer to third world countries that just love to
lap it all up.
ps. We just sent the next Oxfam parcel. Hope the delay didn't cause too much
suffering.
Regards Alan. All further replies by email please, I'm just warming up!

peter@cbmvax.commodore.com (Peter Cherna) (02/28/90)

In article <8170@hubcap.clemson.edu> rchampe@hubcap.UUCP (Richard Champeaux) writes:

>> [flame deleted]
>

>>Yours Flamingly
>
>>-=Andy=-
>
>That, folks, was a fine example of either that wonderfully droll, but usually
>bizarre English wit, or a pompous ass.
>
>By the way, I remember seeing one of those wonderfull shows that are the
>product of England, and I was very amused to notice that it was a rather
>laughable clone of "Three's Company".  I would say that's a fine indication
>of what the English people look for in entertainment.

Forgive me, but "Three's Company" was based on a British television show
called "Man About the House", and that fact is noted in the credits of
"Three's Company".  So in fact you've got it the wrong way around.

>Oh, and if you remember, the United States also used to be part of your empire.
>Isn't it nice that you are now part of ours?

>Rich Champeaux                       PLT:  The plotter device for the Amiga!
>rchampe@hubcap.clemson.edu           Ask for it at your neighborhood FTP site!
>
>"It's never too late to do nothing at all."

Glad to be Canadian :-)

     Peter
--
     Peter Cherna, Software Engineer, Commodore-Amiga, Inc.
     {uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!peter    peter@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com

Michael.Witbrock@cs.cmu.edu (02/28/90)

This newsgroup is world wide. It is for technical discussion, not
ignorant xenophobic drivel. That applies to Americans, Australians,
Europeans (both collectively and severally) and those of us who are none
of
the above.

Aroha,
 michael

BAXTER_A@wehi.dn.mu.oz (03/01/90)

In article <8170@hubcap.clemson.edu>, rchampe@hubcap.clemson.edu (Richard Champeaux) writes:
>>Well first of all might I say, sit on your NTSC and twist sideways. The
>>answer is obvious, ditch NTSC and go for PAL like normal people in the
>>World and especially us Europeans. All you yanks out there write to your
>>senator, congressman, ABC, NBC, Oprah Winfrey, Donahue, Roseanne, Bill
>>Cosby, President Bush, tweetie pie and sylvester, bugs bunny, JR Ewing,
>>Sylvester Stallone, the purple heart, ma's apple pie, Ollie North,
>>Manuel Noriega (your ex-Drugs Enforcement Official), ex-President "look no
>>hands but watch the string " Reagan, Macdonalds, Wall Street and that
>>last bastion of Americanism - the CIA (Criminally Inept Americans).
>>Besides we are the 1st world you're only the second and when we
>>eventually get EC integration we'll be much bigger than you.
>
>>OH YES!, I nearly forgot, Australians. The people who gave us "Home And
>>Away", "Neighbours", "Richie Benout (Cricket Commentator), "Sons And
>>Daughters", "The Flying Doctors" and "A Country Practice". Well just
>>remember you used to be part of our empire and I think, judging by the
>>crap you view on your television, moving to a  256 line  PAL wouldnt make any
>>difference to viewing even if they still broadcasted using NTSC. So
>>standardise to PAL or we'll just have to send a task force down to
>>correct your wrongs.
>

>>Yours Flamingly
>
>>-=Andy=-
>
> That, folks, was a fine example of either that wonderfully droll, but usually
> bizarre English wit, or a pompous ass.
>
> By the way, I remember seeing one of those wonderfull shows that are the
> product of England, and I was very amused to notice that it was a rather
> laughable clone of "Three's Company".  I would say that's a fine indication
> of what the English people look for in entertainment.

Oh NO! You blew it!! (Just shows how arrogant you Yanks are). That "clone" of
three's company has been running since 1972. Indeed the whole series of
man-living-with-2-birds-with-silly-landlord-and-nagging-wife serials was based
on man about the house. The Brit version not only has the benefit of
orriginality, it also had good scriptwriters and passable acting. The yank
version was written by a quadraplegic parrot and the cast was dredged from a
bulk auction of store dummies.

Remember: America doesn't do it first, it just does it over and over...

> Oh, and if you remember, the United States also used to be part of your empire.
> Isn't it nice that you are now part of ours?

If you really think the world is controlled by governments, you better take a
quick look at the greenback!

Regards Alan

> Rich Champeaux                       PLT:  The plotter device for the Amiga!
> rchampe@hubcap.clemson.edu           Ask for it at your neighborhood FTP site!
>
> "It's never too late to do nothing at all."

poynton@vector.Sun.COM (Charles A. Poynton) (03/06/90)

Holy smokes, I posted "U.S. SCUTTLES 1920x1080" moments before reading
Kent Paul Dolan's piece that exhorts "Sheesh!  Quit bellyaching and get
involved!"  I posted to Comp.std.internat almost as an afterthought,
since the HDTV standards issue is primarily concerned with television
(Sci.electronics, Rec.video) and computer graphics (Comp.graphics)
but of course it's prime international standards material.

What is happening in HDTV is that the U.S. broadcasters want twice 525
at their frame rate (1050/59.94/2:1) with twice their current picture
lines (966), the European broadcasters want twice 625 at their frame
rate (1250/50/2:1) with twice their line count (1152), and the Japanese
thought they could craft a political solution (total lines almost the
geometric mean of 1050 and 1250, frame rate of 60.00 an equal nuisance to
N.A. and Europe, and a picture line count with good numerology 483/525 =
575/625 = 1035/1125 but non-square pixels).

To those that feel it's futile, the broadcasters have been educated to
the extent that the Europeans have had to abandon their favourite
1920x1152 proposal because square pixels have become a reality there;
this is the origination of the 2048x1152 number (2 1/4 megapixels).  Both
Zenith and NBC have published square pixel proposals, the last holdouts.

So to those inspired by Dolan's invitation, here's a real issue for
those idealists that believe in one world.

C.

-----
Charles A. Poynton                            Sun Microsystems Inc.
vox 415-336-7846                              2550 Garcia Avenue, MS 21-10
fax 415-969-9131                              Mountain View, CA 94043
<poynton@sun.com>                             U.S.A.

"Buddy, you just don't understand economics at all, do you?"
-----

Article 599 (1 more) in comp.std.internat:
From: xanthian@saturn.ADS.COM (Metafont Consultant Account)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.hardware,comp.std.internat
Subject: Re: Difference American vs. European Amiga