[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Questions about the Amiga memory

ithomson@troa01.dec.com (Ian Thomson) (03/08/90)

I have a base Amiga HD2000 system with 1 MEG RAM. I just bought it and I
realize that without more RAM I can't do any real animation.  These are
my questions.

   1. What is fast chip memory?  Currently I have 0

   2. What is the most memory (RAM) that an amiga could have?
      Someone told me 32Meg of RAM,  everywhere I read it says
      9 Meg.

   3. If I have more RAM and I don't upgrade the processor,  would the
      performance of the Amiga decrease?

   4. Could someone suggest a good set of books so that I could understand
      the structure of the Amiga.  When I go shopping for more memory I want
      to know what I am doing.

Thanx for the Help.

Ian Thomson

watters@uranus.cis.ohio-state.edu (david r watters) (03/08/90)

In article <1429@mountn.dec.com> ithomson@troa01.dec.com (Ian Thomson) writes:

>I have a base Amiga HD2000 system with 1 MEG RAM. I just bought it and I
>realize that without more RAM I can't do any real animation.  These are
>my questions.
>
>   1. What is fast chip memory?  Currently I have 0

"Fast Chip" memory is an Oxymoron, and we all have none too!

Seriously, chip memory is memory that is accessable by the custom chips.
If you think you have it bad now, you are lucky you never had 512K chip memory
Fast memory is anything outside of the custom chip range and you have none.
To do a "real" animation you need a A2630 (68030/68882) with 4megs(32bit).
Or 2 more megs will make due. :-)

>   2. What is the most memory (RAM) that an amiga could have?
>      Someone told me 32Meg of RAM,  everywhere I read it says
>      9 Meg.

9 including the 1 you got, however you can have memory outside the CPU range
with a A2630, I think it is 64Meg, or a gillion Gig's I can't remember.

>   3. If I have more RAM and I don't upgrade the processor,  would the
>      performance of the Amiga decrease?

No, it would improve because any memory you get would be faster than the 1meg
of chip memory you have.

>   4. Could someone suggest a good set of books so that I could understand
>      the structure of the Amiga.  When I go shopping for more memory I want
>      to know what I am doing.

Keep reading the Net, magazines, and all the ROM Kernal manuals!

No, I can do it........the last one above was a joke.