[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] SetCPU

jvmiller@zeno1.rdrc.rpi.edu (Jim Miller) (03/04/90)

I just started using SetCPU with my 2500/30.  When I use the FASTROM
option the 3.5" floppy stops clicking (YAAAA!!!), but the program
wIconify nolonger works.  It works fine without the FASTROM option.
wIconify allows you to hold the left mouse button and click the right
mouse button and the window the mouse pointer is over will condense down
to an icon.  I really like this program, so I would like to know if
there is an update to it (my version is about 2 years old), or if there
is another program that provides the same function of iconifying a
window that will workd with the FASTROM option of SetCPU.

Thank-you kindly,
Jimmy

stan@teroach.UUCP (Stan Fisher) (03/06/90)

In article <63+#YL=@rpi.edu> jvmiller@zeno1.rdrc.rpi.edu (Jim Miller) writes:
>I just started using SetCPU with my 2500/30.  When I use the FASTROM
>option the 3.5" floppy stops clicking (YAAAA!!!), but the program
>wIconify nolonger works.  It works fine without the FASTROM option.
>wIconify allows you to hold the left mouse button and click the right
>mouse button and the window the mouse pointer is over will condense down
>to an icon.  I really like this program, so I would like to know if
>there is an update to it (my version is about 2 years old), or if there
>is another program that provides the same function of iconifying a
>window that will workd with the FASTROM option of SetCPU.
>Thank-you kindly,
>Jimmy

wIconify looks for the string 'Workbench' to locate the proper screen (I
guess) and when SetCPU FASTROM is run the Workbench string gets patched to
'Fastbench'.  Use your favorite zapper and go into the wIconify executable
and change all occurances of 'Workbench' to 'Fastbench' and it'll work just
fine.
Of course now when you boot the 68k side and SetCPU doesn't do the patches
wIconify won't be able to find 'Fastbench' since the screen is now called
Workbench again, so keep a copy of both w's around and use SetCPU's test
mode to detect the CPU type in  your startup-sequence and conditionally run
the appropriate wIconify (patched or not patched).

  Stan Fisher -  stan@teroach.phx.mcd.mot.com -  asuvax!mcdphx!teroach!stan
  Motorola Microcomputer Division, Tempe, Arizona   -  Voice (602) 438-3228
  Call our User Group BBS "M.E.C.C.A." running Atredes 1.1 @ (602) 893-0804

dylan@cs.washington.edu (Dylan McNamee) (03/07/90)

If you don't want SetCPU to overwrite Workbench all over, just use
the NOPATCH option on startup.  This should cure the problem with
wIconify, without needing to resort to Zap'ping anything.

dylan mcnamee

dlcogswe@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Dan Cogswell) (03/07/90)

In article <12568@mcdphx.phx.mcd.mot.com> stan@teroach.UUCP (Stan Fisher) writes:
>'Fastbench'.  Use your favorite zapper and go into the wIconify executable
>and change all occurances of 'Workbench' to 'Fastbench' and it'll work just
>fine.

Stan, did you ever think of zapping the SetCPU executable to patch simply
the name "Workbench"??  That kinda solves all problems, you know?

--
Dan Cogswell                         | If *ONE MORE*    | Disclaimer:
(313)625-3234                        | person makes     | Oakland University

stan@teroach.UUCP (Stan Fisher) (03/08/90)

In article <264@vela.acs.oakland.edu> dlcogswe@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Dan Cogswell) writes:

>Stan, did you ever think of zapping the SetCPU executable to patch simply
>the name "Workbench"??  That kinda solves all problems, you know?
>--
>Dan Cogswell                         | If *ONE MORE*    | Disclaimer:
>(313)625-3234                        | person makes     | Oakland University
>INET: cogswell@vela.acs.oakland.edu  | a joke about     | doesn't HAVE a
>      cogswell@unix.secs.oakland.edu | "Cogswell Cogs!!"| position on this.

Sure! I haven't tried it yet though, 'cause... I gotta say..  I think it's
totally bitchin' to have my Workbench screen called Fastbench ;^)
Makes it _feel_ even faster! :^)

Acutally wIconify is the ONLY program I've had show any conflict with
SetCPU fastbench patch...  and I wasn't sure if patching SetCPU to stick
WorkBench in for WorkBench (instead of FastBench) would break anything
within SetCPU.

Maybe Dave H. could answer that?

Good point though!  Then you wouldn't need any scripts to detect which CPU
is booted to determine which wIconify to use.

grx1042@uoft02.utoledo.edu (Steve Snodgrass) (03/08/90)

In article <264@vela.acs.oakland.edu>, dlcogswe@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Dan Cogswell) writes:
> In article <12568@mcdphx.phx.mcd.mot.com> stan@teroach.UUCP (Stan Fisher) writes:
>>'Fastbench'.  Use your favorite zapper and go into the wIconify executable
>>and change all occurances of 'Workbench' to 'Fastbench' and it'll work just
>>fine.
>
> Stan, did you ever think of zapping the SetCPU executable to patch simply
> the name "Workbench"??  That kinda solves all problems, you know?

I'm sitting here laughing at both of you.  Ever think of using the SetCPU
NOPATCH option, that keeps it from changing the WorkBench name?  That kinda
solves all problems, you know?

/\=======================================================================/\
\/ Reality: Steve Snodgrass  |"Volts embodied intent, and Amps were the  \/
/\  -^-^- Cyberspace -^-^-   | runners who carried out those intentions, /\
\/ GRX1042@uoft02.utoledo.edu| against the Ohms." -Gregory Benford, ToL  \/
/\ GRX1042@uoft02.BITNET     | Sleep is a luxury, spare time a myth. -me /\
\/ uoft02::GRX1042 (DECnet)  | Recumbent Amigas - the only way to hack.  \/

stan@teroach.UUCP (Stan Fisher) (03/13/90)

In article <66.25f57800@uoft02.utoledo.edu> grx1042@uoft02.utoledo.edu (Steve Snodgrass) writes:

>I'm sitting here laughing at both of you.  Ever think of using the SetCPU
>NOPATCH option, that keeps it from changing the WorkBench name?  That kinda
>solves all problems, you know?
>
>/\=======================================================================/\
>\/ Reality: Steve Snodgrass  |"Volts embodied intent, and Amps were the  \/
>/\  -^-^- Cyberspace -^-^-   | runners who carried out those intentions, /\
>\/ GRX1042@uoft02.utoledo.edu| against the Ohms." -Gregory Benford, ToL  \/
>/\ GRX1042@uoft02.BITNET     | Sleep is a luxury, spare time a myth. -me /\
>\/ uoft02::GRX1042 (DECnet)  | Recumbent Amigas - the only way to hack.  \/

That's o.k., I can handle being laughed at...  I'm just confused if the
NOPATCH options ONLY function is to keep SetCPU from stuffing Fastbench in
on the Workbench screen. If so than by all means, that's what I'm gonna do.
I just thought there were some other patches made to the Kickstart code
like floppy clicks etc. if so, then I'd prefer patching wIconify so that
I may benefit by the SetCPU patches.  Get it?

In article <12602@mcdphx.phx.mcd.mot.com> stan@teroach.UUCP (Stan Fisher) writes:
>In article <66.25f57800@uoft02.utoledo.edu> grx1042@uoft02.utoledo.edu (Steve Snodgrass) writes:

>>I'm sitting here laughing at both of you.  Ever think of using the SetCPU
>>NOPATCH option, that keeps it from changing the WorkBench name?

>That's o.k., I can handle being laughed at...  I'm just confused if the
>NOPATCH options ONLY function is to keep SetCPU from stuffing Fastbench in
>on the Workbench screen.

Well, I guess you get to laugh at me now.  NOPATCH prevents any patches from
being installed.  This is, after a fashion, solved in SetCPU 1.6, coming to
a freebee distribution point near you Real Soon Now.

>If so than by all means, that's what I'm gonna do. I just thought there were
>some other patches made to the Kickstart code like floppy clicks etc. if so,
>then I'd prefer patching wIconify so that I may benefit by the SetCPU patches.
>Get it?

That was, basically, the problem.  The basic SetCPU did the things that, to
put it bluntly, made me happy.  The "Fastbench" string started out as an
indicator that the FASTROM was active, but stayed in because everyone thought
it looked cool.  The noclick was additionally thrown in, but it can cause
problems with some older floppy drives.  And the NOPATCH is too powerful; it
just shuts off the patch manager in SetCPU, even disabling the KEYPATCH
feature, which you have to ask for explicitly -- no good reason for that
behavior.

I hadn't planned on ever finishing SetCPU V1.6, but I've had so many requests
for various modifications and The Source, I will try to get the final V1.6 out
within a week or two, in source and executable this time.

>  Stan Fisher -  stan@teroach.phx.mcd.mot.com -  asuvax!mcdphx!teroach!stan

--
Dave Haynie Commodore-Amiga (Systems Engineering) "The Crew That Never Rests"
                    Too much of everything is just enough