[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Using the AT bus from the A2000 bus

jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J. Eric Townsend) (03/17/90)

How do I do this?  I've seen ads for a product called AX-S (or something
similar), but the price was seemed really high.

Being a bus architecture neophyte, I assume that it's a matter of
getting the pinouts matched up, and having an AmigaDos driver to talk
to the device.  How off am I?
--
J. Eric Townsend
University of Houston Dept. of Mathematics (713) 749-2120

dawill@hubcap.clemson.edu (david williams) (03/17/90)

In article <1990Mar16.194554.19026@lavaca.uh.edu>, jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J. Eric Townsend) writes:
> How do I do this?  I've seen ads for a product called AX-S (or something
> similar), but the price was seemed really high.
>
> Being a bus architecture neophyte, I assume that it's a matter of
> getting the pinouts matched up, and having an AmigaDos driver to talk
> to the device.  How off am I?
> --
> J. Eric Townsend
> University of Houston Dept. of Mathematics (713) 749-2120
> jet@karazm.math.uh.edu
> Skate UNIX(tm).

   This is the way the Wedge hard drive controller on the A1000
operates.  There are only four or five chips on their interface
board, which are mainly involved with making sure that the bus
gets connected only when it is supposed too.  (Note that the WEDGE
dosen't auto-configure or play any other magic...)  It seems like
it would be pretty easy to hook up a card that would allow you to
access the IBM slots like amiga slots, and use IBM cards with some
device drivers you would have to cook up.  (Is this a "Passive
Bridgeboard"?)
    I assume the palomax controller and such do the same thing for
their XT-type slots...

                   Dave Williams
                      dawill@hubcap.clemson.edu
                         "Huh?  What?  Could you repeat the question?"